Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of your hits are alphas

Mikeski

Interesting to look at in my SS game (what I mainly shoot)

2016 Indiana SS/Prod/Revo Championship as a C class shooter

205 A, 47 C, 10 D Which would be 78%

2017 Same match as a B

227 A, 50C, 3 D 89% 

2018 MI Sectional (B )

195 A, 37 C, 7 D, 81%

2019 MI Sectional (A) 
220 A, 48C, 4D 80%

I personally think, Up until about middle of B maybe even to win B class. All you have to do is shoot your pace and be clean. No more than 1 D a stage and no Ms or NSs & you'll place alright.

At A and up your going to have to push it and time becomes a much bigger factor. Slowness KILLS HF. It was my biggest eye opener last year shooting against minor guys in SS, 1.5second extra reload on 7 out of 15 stages at a big match (minor vs major) is 10+ seconds. Thats big in the overalls. 

Shooting fast and accepting a percentage of Cs will win things. I've seen big name dudes shoot Mikes before but they did it so fast they still won. Vileger comes to mind at the 2019 Bluegrass match this year. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It almost seems like Vlieger is shooting so fast he's breaking minor scoring.  His shot cadence in his Bluegrass video isn't any different than when he is shooting Open.  Tons of Cs, Ds, and Ms (comparatively), but he did it so freaking fast!

6 hours ago, xdf3 said:

Too many A's are usually a indication of slowlyness. Unless you are a champion :D 

Optimally we would shoot at the targets as fast as we can physically pull the trigger.  Since nearly all of us will have hit-factor-destroying penalties if we  do that, we have to find the sweet spot where we are shooting as fast as we can without incurring too many penalties.  It takes match experience to find that sweet spot and then learn how to get back to it consistently.

4 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

So whats the acceptable % of As Cs and Ds ? 85/15 or more like 90/10

I shoot for a 3:1 ratio of As to Cs or better.  That equates to 90% of available points if you're shooting minor.  Shooting major, 1:1 equates to the same percentage.

9 minutes ago, Tanders said:

I shoot for a 3:1 ratio of As to Cs or better.  That equates to 90% of available points if you're shooting minor.  Shooting major, 1:1 equates to the same percentage.

Well unless your restricted by division. Major is the king.

37 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Well unless your restricted by division. Major is the king.

Oh, sorry... I shoot Production and I keep forgetting that most of the rest of the world does not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 6:41 PM, Tanders said:

It almost seems like Vlieger is shooting so fast he's breaking minor scoring.  His shot cadence in his Bluegrass video isn't any different than when he is shooting Open.  Tons of Cs, Ds, and Ms (comparatively), but he did it so freaking fast!

A large part of shot cadence, once you've learned how to pull a trigger quickly, is knowing your guns timing. When I shot BITB this year I spent about 3 weeks shooting my SS with the ammo I was going to use. About 2k rounds, with a lot of time spent on fast doubles, to relearn the gun. It helped immensely to get back on the horse with a different platform.

Regarding my % of points, you're mostly correct. 89% of points was lower than my expectations, but the speed was there (barely). My 1 Mike was from shooting a wall (whoops) and 4 of my deltas came from 1 stage where I made several blatant errors. Overall, I left a lot on the table, except for the reloading, movement, and committing to positions.

To answer the OP question, if I'm in the 92-94% points range, I'm happy. Which equates to more alphas when I shoot minor (which isn't often) than when I shoot major.

3 hours ago, SSGJohnV said:

A large part of shot cadence, once you've learned how to pull a trigger quickly, is knowing your guns timing. When I shot BITB this year I spent about 3 weeks shooting my SS with the ammo I was going to use. About 2k rounds, with a lot of time spent on fast doubles, to relearn the gun. It helped immensely to get back on the horse with a different platform.

Regarding my % of points, you're mostly correct. 89% of points was lower than my expectations, but the speed was there (barely). My 1 Mike was from shooting a wall (whoops) and 4 of my deltas came from 1 stage where I made several blatant errors. Overall, I left a lot on the table, except for the reloading, movement, and committing to positions.

To answer the OP question, if I'm in the 92-94% points range, I'm happy. Which equates to more alphas when I shoot minor (which isn't often) than when I shoot major.

Hey, the man himself!  Congrats on the win.  You almost look like you're shooting with a dot in your BITB video.  Have you found that primarily shooting Open has sped up your iron sight game?  It's really interesting to watch your match video back-to-back with some of the other Production and Single Stack guys.  You seem to spend noticeably less time confirming your sights compared to most of the other top Production and Single Stack (minor) shooters.

5 hours ago, SSGJohnV said:

Exactly this. Anything less, while may be a good performance at a Local, just won't cut it at most Major matches. 

Percent A's isnt relevant. Its the percent of points.
100 point stage,  19 A's  ( 95%)  1 M = 85 points
10 A's (50 %) 10 C's = 90 points
D's M's penalties BAAAAAAAAAAAD
A, C on a paper   Neutral.
AA GOOOOOD,
under 90% slow down,,, over 90 speed up

Edited by Joe4d

I know this occurs to most of you and you probably do it, but after scores would appear in Practiscore I recall spending some time looking at the raw times and hit distribution of people who beat me, and those who didn't, versus my own data.  It's pretty interesting and can even take me back through each stage like watching a movie in my mind.  But the reason I do it is to try gaining an understanding of where I went too much for precision and when I should have been a bit more patient.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...