Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 USPSA Multigun Nationals

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Jadeslade said:

Chuck nailed his own opinion. A lot of shooters want this to move on from Las Vegas. It is not the "match directors" job to put on a proposal and "present it to the board". That is Mike Foley's job. No one said " tear it down".  Just move it somewhere else. Most 3 gun matches are west of the Mississippi. Which is the difference between flying and driving for people on the East Coast.  The match fee this year is 350.00. That is the highest fee of any three gun match. Higher than FN. So, for that money, shooters shouldn't have to reset., and there should be a dinner.  Unless sponsors aren't willing to come in on the USPSA event. 

Ironman this year was 400$. And there are a lot of big 3 gun matches East of the Mississippi. Almost all of the 3 gun nation regionals, minus Texas and Minnesota. And you have 3 gun nation nationals on the east coast as well. If you want to attend a match, you will make it happen.

This thread is about USPSA Multigun Nationals. As Gose succinctly put it, some guys like to shoot in the mud and rain. He was being sardonic. 3 Gun Nation matches are nothing like USPSA matches. They are in not so hot venues, with the exception of USA in Frostproof. Their "Nationals" was in the absolute worst venue ever seen for a 3 Gun match. So, not germane to the issue. Most major 3 gun matches are not held east of the Mississippi. I can make any match happen. Shot a ton of them. You should stick to the topic and not make it personal.  I'm Las Vegased out, and so are a lot of shooters. And the weather isn't always great in Vegas. Maine is an untapped area, Vermont, New Hampshire and Virginia all have some outstanding ranges. And Florida of course, which is a hotbed of USPSA activity, as is Georgia. Before the last two years of Limited and Open Pistol Nationals being in Florida, they were held almost exclusively out west. All we are saying is keep it moving.

1 hour ago, CraigS. said:

Sold out in 2 hours  enough said.......      How many other MG matches move around the country ??

As far as I know 3GN matches are the only other ones that routinely move.  But there are similarities to USPSA there.  Both are National organizations meant to serve members around the country (world).  The majority of major 3 Gun matches are not affiliated with a larger organization.  They are run by an individual or a group, usually based at the range they are held.  Think Rocky Mountain, SMM3G, Ironman, FNH, Rockcastle.  Most are single matches tied to the range that holds them.  

22 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

The MG Nationals was sold out in a day. It sold out while it is being held during Easter.  I hear next year they will probably hold it during Christmas.

Does that sound like the shooter's are Vegas'ed out?  It's not even being held in Vegas.

You heard this from who? Nobody. It's not even remotely humorous or germane to the issue. Its a USPSA Match, not an outlaw match. I like USPSA 3 Gun Matches, except the changes that have been made to Limited and Heavy Division rules. I'm shooting the match, look me up. You are tone deaf to what some of us are saying. And being self righteous about it. Mike can take this over just like he took over Single Stack Nationals. You don't have to shoot the match on Easter. Multiple scheduling possibilities. It sold out. And that means what? 

32 minutes ago, Jadeslade said:

You heard this from who? Nobody. It's not even remotely humorous or germane to the issue. Its a USPSA Match, not an outlaw match. I like USPSA 3 Gun Matches, except the changes that have been made to Limited and Heavy Division rules. I'm shooting the match, look me up. You are tone deaf to what some of us are saying. And being self righteous about it. Mike can take this over just like he took over Single Stack Nationals. You don't have to shoot the match on Easter. Multiple scheduling possibilities. It sold out. And that means what? 

Self righteous?  Maybe you should reread my posts.  Self righteous?1?!?!

What I got from your posts is that it should move on because:

* 3Gun Nation matches suck.

* Shooters are Vegased out.

* It cost too much for a reset match.  It should be a no reset match or $350.

What else did I miss?

If I point out that the match sold out that takes place on Easter how is that not Germane to the issue?  

If the match costs too much, people aren't going to attend.  If the shooters are tired of the location, less people are going to attend or it isn't going to fill up as quick.  And yet the match sold out quick.  

I don't remember any of the MG Nationals selling out in a day. 

If it sells out that quick it means... The great majority of shooter's aren't Vegased out and $350 wasn't too pricey.

We need to chill out before the mods step in.  This thread is about the 2017 USPSA Multigun Nationals, not 2018.  

For 2018+

I would love to see more major USPSA Multigun matches around the country with Area and Sectional matches.  There just are not that many though.  East or west coast is always going to be a battle.  We could put in Tulsa and it could rain.  I think there was a nationals there once and people were fishing mags out of the pond.  Everywhere can have bad weather, other than indoors.  IDPA has an indoor nationals, maybe we could do that.

IIRC California has the largest number of USPSA members.  Las Vegas is a short drive for many in SoCal and there are only a few matches that are within driving distance from California.  47 of those registered were from CA so almost 15% from just one state.  45 were from UT, AZ, and NV combined.

Mike asked the question if we should move the match to those who attended last year and the crowd seemed to all want it to stay.  Now that is not official, but if he does not see a need to change why would he?  While he could solicit bids from ranges, he may not feel it worth the effort.  If a range wants to host this event they could ask USPSA.  It is a lot of work to put on a major match and they are not willing to take the first step what does that say about the rest of the steps?  I don't have a vested interest in foisting this match on a range and staff in Vermont.

I agree with Ziebart. I would love to see Area and Sectional 3-gun matches.  Wasn't building 3-gun USPSA an issue in the last election?  I am happy about the introduction of pcc in USPSA, I am having a lot of fun with it.  Maybe one of these years I'll make it to the 3-gun Nationals, but  with 2 little kids and on Easter it wasn't happening.  

One thing I will point out, if the Nationals were held at Woodys, or Clintonhouse I would image the match would have a high percentage of shooters from that area. (I have no idea if they are interested, merely using them as an example). 

Ziebart-Really hate Vermont? In the summer? I don't think foisting is the word. Try foisting a major match on somebody. Not happening. I am happy CA has so many USPSA shooters. Many of them are my friends. But the argument that keeping the match in Las Vegas is great for California is kind of you know, parochial. Begs the question-why dont we just hold all USPSA Nationals in Las Vegas? It has been proposed in years past that USPSA should buy a range. I was just pointing out that there are many untapped ranges in Areas that have never been explored. All Nationals are financial arrangements. The goal is to put on the best match possible. The numbers of members of USPSA is pretty much equally divided between east and west, hence the Areas being set-up the way they are. Asking shooters at a match is a statistical non-starter. Skewed population. USPSA shooters and events are good publicity and good ambassadors for shooting sports overall, so it would be beneficial for the sport in general to move it around.  Religious Shooter, I am glad you don't teach English, statistics, or reading. I was pointing out that discussing 3GN matches has no relevance to the USPSA Multigun Nationals. I also said look me up at the match. Be glad to discuss it there. Never said it was a bad match. Selling out the match means there is a high demand for an actually good match. It says nothing about how much people like Las Vegas. I think there is enough demand to have another match in the East. DVC

Jade,

This will be my last post on the matter in this thread.  I never said I hate VT, but now that you bring it up there are probably a good number of reasons why we don't see major 3 gun there.  Without prior discussion with the range and staff I think foisting is the right term.  You are advocating for a change without those people that would have to do the work.  I see your are in GA.  Are you going to drive up to VT and put the match in the ground? How much will it cost to build new props there, or will USPSA move them across country?

Yes, asking shooters who were there is a skewed population.  Asking people here is a skewed population, asking people on the USPSA forums is skewed as well yet is probably the best place for this discussion.

I don't think bringing 3 Gun Nation matches or any other outlaw match is irrelevant to the discussion of time or place for a future USPSA MG National match.  Like it or not they are similar products and the substitution factor is high.  Cost to attend a match is a large factor in many people's decisions as they have limited funds.  3GN regional matches are 8 stages and are $275 $34.38/stage.  USPSA MG Nats is $350 for 14 stages $25/stage.  Match fees aside, travel costs are high to fly to a match so most do not not fly and stick to matches in their area.  I will not fly to another 3GN match but will drive to one.

ETA thread on USPSA forums https://www.uspsa.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1699-2018-multigun-nationals/

Edited by ziebart

Mark, if I may offer a suggestion.  Ignore user works wonders.  I've only had to do it to one person on Enos, but it works really well.  I haven't had to see posts from Jadeslade in a couple years now.  The only time I even know he's still here is when someone quotes him.  Otherwise it works pretty well.  

Only thing that I'm unhappy about is the dates. I won't be there this year simply because I love my kids and want them to be able to hunt easter eggs with family rather than hang out in a hotel in vegas while daddy shoots a match. Understand that scheduling is difficult and there is always conflicts. But conflicting with another match vs conflicting with major holidays is a big difference. Surely we can skip Easter and Christmas for shooting weekends...

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, SteveT-NV said:

I just heard that the match can be shot Thurs, Fri and Sat. Is this true? Due to work obligations I cannot take off major holidays, but I could shoot the match those days. Could I still register and shoot those days?

STeve

it be true-you could even shoot it wed-fri.

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, ziebart said:

...You don't need a cart, but some may disagree with me.

Right.

With a good bag or two, you can definitely get by without one.  But you'll be watching us and thinking: "Darn, I need one of those..."

And for those of us shooting Heavy Metal, the ammo weighs twice as much...