2017 USPSA Multigun Nationals

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, iamspartacus said:

Fail on continuing to have it on the western half of the country. Its been there long enough. Bring it east of the Mississippi River. 

Did you guys just volunteer to put it on & run it?  ;) 

Lol.  I understand what youre saying,  Cant blame you.  

On 10/3/2016 at 2:54 PM, iamspartacus said:

Fail on continuing to have it on the western half of the country. Its been there long enough. Bring it east of the Mississippi River. 

Yeah, that totally sucks.  They finally built it up to the point where the match fills and it's considered a premier match.  Totally time to rip it down and start again from scratch with a new venue and staff.  

18 hours ago, Chuck Anderson said:

Yeah, that totally sucks.  They finally built it up to the point where the match fills and it's considered a premier match.  Totally time to rip it down and start again from scratch with a new venue and staff.  

It's a USPSA National Championship, part of a NATIONAL organization. You dont see any of the handgun nationals stay at the same venue year after year. It should move every year.

29 minutes ago, iamspartacus said:

It's a USPSA National Championship, part of a NATIONAL organization. You dont see any of the handgun nationals stay at the same venue year after year. It should move every year.

Actually, you are wrong. The last 2 years Limited/Open Nationals have been at Universal Shooting Academy. Also Production and Revo have been at PASA for the past 2 years. Single stack Nationals have been at PASA since 2006.

I really hope this Easter weekend schedule gets reconsidered. In addition to the holiday, in a 3 week period they are between the Texas 3 Gun Championship and Vortex/Shooters Source matches. Location doesn't matter so much as the timing to me. I'd actually like to shoot outside of Texas, maybe... As much as I'd like to go, USPSA just keeps finding new and interesting ways to disappoint. 

59 minutes ago, AFguywhoshoots said:

Actually, you are wrong. The last 2 years Limited/Open Nationals have been at Universal Shooting Academy. Also Production and Revo have been at PASA for the past 2 years. Single stack Nationals have been at PASA since 2006.

I was thinking about this. Is the current locations of the Nationals now officially set in perpituity?  I am not criticizing this, simply asking the question.  

55 minutes ago, AFguywhoshoots said:

Alright, every few years then. I'm not trying to disparage the fine job done by the folks who have been putting on multigun nationals the last few years, Im just suggesting that USPSA owes it to the members to move it from time to time in order to make it more available to all its members.

I don't think there is a way to make everyone happy. If they move it from the Vegas area, I don't think I would shoot it until it came back. Also Pete and the crew put on a heck of a match and I doubt he would go put on a match elsewhere due to the amount of work involved.

7 hours ago, iamspartacus said:

First off, there is no obligation that as a National Championship that it should move every year.  The obligation is that the org puts on the best National Championship they can and make it accessible to members.  Vegas has a number of advantages over other venues, the most significant being low cost airfare and lodging options.  This alone makes it accessible to any shooter in the country.  If they don't want to fly, that's fine, but there is no obligation to hold the match in driving distance from a bunch of folks routinely.  

Second even if there was, Vegas would satisfy that requirement.  It's within driving distance of a significant portion of the membership.  Texas and California pretty much dominate other states as far as participation.  

I'm guessing you haven't been shooting a really long time.  Travelling Nationals are a fairly new occurrence.  There was a time when pretty much everything was at PASA.  If you didn't like Illinois, every couple years they might hold something in PA, or Reno.  But that was a rare exception.  The MG Nats are held in Vegas for a reason.  It's the only venue that has come close to self supporting the match.  Every other MG, or 3G Nats lost significant amounts of money.  And history has shown that moving an event year to year results in lower participation rates the first year at a minimum. Heck, take a look at Steel Challenge for an extreme example of that.  MG Nats in Vegas has proven for the last couple years to be a success.  It would be foolish to move it at this point.  

What advantage is there to moving an event every year, or every two years?  Some competitors don't have to fly and others do.  It's a break even proposition.  But you also have a slew of new costs.  Transportation of existing props, logistics of figuring out lodging, food vendors, tent suppliers, water, ice etc. all become more expensive when you move every year.  Even if you pay to haul most of your gear, there are still additional expenses the pile up.  Inevitably you have to buy new stuff, walls, fault lines, nails etc whenever you roll into a new town.  It's financially irresponsible to move a successful match, just to put it a couple hours closer to someone.  

40 minutes ago, Chuck Anderson said:

What advantage is there to moving an event every year, or every two years?  

Some guys dont like to shoot in the sun and prefer to have the match in a rainy and muddy place every now and then.

It's also nice to have it in shitty locations where there's no risk of your significant other asking to come.

6 hours ago, gose said:

Some guys dont like to shoot in the sun and prefer to have the match in a rainy and muddy place every now and then.

It's also nice to have it in shitty locations where there's no risk of your significant other asking to come.

PASA: Puddles And Spousal Absence?    :devil:

+1 to everything Chuck said.  While it is inconvenient for some it is convenient for others.  California still has the largest number of USPSA members and this is one of the few major west coast matches.

As for the timing, since at least 2012 when I started shooting it, MG nats has been in April.  There are enough major matches now that there is going to be some overlap.  Texas matches are at least 12 hrs drive time away so if someone only drives they are not directly impacting each other.  You dont want a major match in Vegas from may to September due to heat.  In the winter would be OK, but there are problems with that as well.

Championship should be in the fall after people competed in area matches and earned the right to compete on a national stage.  But we don't have many MG area matches held nor enough people to fill a nations based solely on finish at area matches.  Ultimately every "nationals" is just another big match.