Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

long long 9 major 1.208 1.22 1.24

ano

Well, I like to fiddle around, and I like wildcats, so lately Ive been running my nine loaded to 1.208, tested in both matches and practice aprox 4-5000 rounds, and its so smooth,, so far so good, next out is 1.22 and 1.24, neck tension and bullet hold is still good (slightly hollow base 124gr alsa pro), just gotto see how long chamber is reambed.

Any of you tried this long? upsides are extended brass life and has no issues in mags, and room for moaaaaar powder and less pressure. We are suddenly talking *within* spec CIP and SAAMI with VV 3n38. ever 0,5mm or 0,02 in theory drops another 1000PSI or so roughly.

Brass is sized and expanded so its basicly a straight wall 9, or a short supercomp

Fascinating concept :)

I felt that 1.175" in my 9mm Major was "too long" for ME eight years ago - didn't have enough

grip on the bullet (using 115 gr MG JHP's).

Are you talking about altering the chamber of your gun, to create a "wildcat" cartridge -

actually altering the dimensions of the cartridge case as well ("straight wall 9MM)?

In 9mm, of course, "extended brass life" is totally unnecessary (IMHO) since I load it

until it drops now, but more powder and less pressure definitely sounds GREAT.

Or, have you found some way to load a regular 9mm case and chamber to 1.2"?

Or is this dependent on using a different type (style) 9mm bullet?

I've had it out to 1.195. Others have tested longer than this too. It is wonderful in theory, but I've heard of others losing bullets in mags or while feeding. If the bullet grip is sufficient from a mechanical standpoint for reliability it's unquestionably a good direction for 9 major. My long loads always seemed to have a nice softened impulse.

Bullets falling out is a huge problem for 9major , even at shorter OALs, i have 2 things that combat this, I dont flare the brass what so ever to make room for the bullet, I expand/size the brass to a certain spec in prep phase allowing for it to seat straight, and have enough, but not to much tension, you cant really tell there is a bullet in there by looking at outside of brass

I just push it in place, this eliminates the need for any crimp as well, as the brass holds it, you can never create bullet hold with a taper crimp die.

when using alsa pro bullets, their base is pretty hollow, allowing for powder to go up inside center of bullet, but the edges of the bullet actually maintaines hold inside the case.

I use a normal 9 major long reamed 9x19 chamber, so yes, reguar case, and regular(ish) bullet. Ive loaded to 1.201 for a very long time before this, there is so much bullethold I cant even pull the bullet without going to "town on it" with a case of pliers, Ive done plane travel, 12 hours to matches, stored in large boxes etcc, OAL doesnt change what so ever.

At 1.208 Im at 8.8gr 3n38 (on my weight) this is the longest Ive tested yet (4-5000 rounds)

1.22 would be 9,0 and 1.24 is at 9,21gr for same PF

this is loaded to 1.208, I will take a picture with caliper for proof

13925140_10154312835121788_7350459689684

Here you see the shape of the bullets and their back

13921001_10154312835286788_2180268755387

Edited by ano

Yes, we crazy ;) 

I got a top shooter to test my gun and he said he was amazed at how how soft it felt and flat, he had never shot a 9 major he liked before, and said it felt like his imm super, could be he was just polite, but its pretty smooth. 

Im makeing a new test/R&D gun now to see if I can shave some weight and still make it run good, also gonna see if I can decrease the load and still run as good. 

gonna do some comp testing, hopeing to try out the binary eng comp against some of the others, maybe shave some weight. 

Edited by ano

If you wish to load that long, Everglades Ammunition sells a concave bullet that has a very long bearing surface. I use to load 9mm to 1.180 with a 124JHP but a bullet came out during a reload in the middle of a stage and dumped over 10 grains of powder in my gun, it took over 1/2 hour to clean out the gun to get it to run again. Never again will I load that long. Do run a bullet feeder on your press and how do you get it to work? Thanks for your info and good luck.