Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding issues revisited

Sarge

So, I am having a semi-related issue. I just shot the Columbia Cascade Sectional last weekend and had a bunch of failure to feeds with JHP. Thy are hitting the feed ramp and not pushing all the way into the chamber, but a light touch is all that's needed to push it in. What is the best course of action for getting it to run? Length was 1.173ish, which is longer than I wanted (supposed to be about 1.167, but my seater must have walked while I was loading).

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/12/2016 at 6:22 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Sarge> No two guns are identical. One may simply be a little more finicky than the other. For example, if the feed ramp depth is different between the two guns it can dramatically change how good/bad a certain length of ammo feeds in it. A good test that I do to see if my ammo OAL is set properly for the feed ramp depth is to black out the feed ramp with a sharpie marker. Then shoot 10 - 15 rounds and see where the sharpy marker is scuffed off of the feed ramp. If its hitting in the middle or just above the middle then the OAL is right where it should be. If its being scuffed below the mid point then the ammo is too short. Do this test with both of your guns using the same ammo to see if the scuff marks are happening at the same height on the feed ramp.

Excellent info.