Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stage Lee - recommendations for a powder measure?

I have a Dillon Super 1050 I use for large runs of ammo (basically run enough .45acp and .223 to last me a year at a time).

I also have a Lee single stage Challenger that I use for small runs (20 - 100 rounds) of ammo such as .380, .357, 10mm. I am using Dillon dies, because I am used to them and like them. I use Hornady Sure-Loc die clamp/nuts so I don't have to reset dies. And I use a Lee powder through die to expand and add powder. I don't need an automatic primer, but an automatic powder measure would be nice.

I haven't seen the Lee Auto-drum in person, but it looks interesting on youtube videos. I'm also debating if I want to ditch the Lee expander dies and fit a Dillon powder measure/funnel setup. I am using powders like Win 231, Hodgdon H110, CFE Pistol.

The Lee Auto-drum is inexpensive and looks like it will do the job fine, but I don't want to buy it and discover all sorts of problems that will make me regret not having decided to fit a Dillon powder measure/funnel setup.

Thoughts?

TIA

I bought the Lee autodrum upon the recommendation here that they were excellent powder measures. I couldn't be any happier with mine as it is accurate and doesn't even spill HS-6, which is normally all over my bench with the other measures (Lee disk and a Lee bench mounted measure). I say go for it especially for small runs as the drums can be preset to different powders and charges.

An auto powder measure on a single stage would mean you have a bunch of charged cases sitting around somewhere without a bullet being seated.

Instead of drastically increasing the likelihood of spilled powder or worse, why not just mount a manual measure beside the press, pick up a sized and primed case, charge then seat the bullet? Not only do you eliminate possible accidents, you also eliminate the extra motions of moving the charged cases around setting them down and picking them back up later.

DSC02166.jpg

An auto powder measure on a single stage would mean you have a bunch of charged cases sitting around somewhere without a bullet being seated.

Instead of drastically increasing the likelihood of spilled powder or worse, why not just mount a manual measure beside the press, pick up a sized and primed case, charge then seat the bullet? Not only do you eliminate possible accidents, you also eliminate the extra motions of moving the charged cases around setting them down and picking them back up later.

Using a single stage press for small runs (20 - 100) rounds I don't want to change the dies for each single round.

This is what I am currently doing (Keep in mind I'm using Hornady Sure-Loc die clamps, so I don't have to reset dies.):

1. Size and prime case(s). Remove sizing die.

2. Expand and add powder (either measured each time, or using a pre calibrated dipper) using Lee powder through expander die. Top with bullet and set in reloading tray. Remove expander die.

3. Seat bullets. Remove seating die.

4. Crimp bullets. Remove crimping die.

The above could be as few a one round, but typically 10 - 20 while working up a load. After satisfied with chrono etc, then I'll typically make 50 - 100.

An automated powder measure for step 2 would make things faster/easier. I don't see a problem.

I use the single stage for ammo I don't shoot much. For large quantities I use my s1050.

Edited by reloader901

Lee auto drum works well with small grained powder, terrible with something like H4831 as it deforms the plastic when trying to cut long powder "sticks" in half. I use it for .223 with H335 and it works very well.

No knowing what you plan on loading or what projectiles your using I will just say that you don't always have to expand a case and never have to drop the powder as you expand even if you have to.

That said if you want to drop powder into all the cases first, just get a Lee measure, they will work with the Lee dies you already have.

Edited by jmorris

I got a Lee Auto-Drum and tried it yesterday.  Besides a visual check on every case I weighed the powder charge about every 15 rounds (perfect every time).  The Auto-Drum is rather cheap looking, but it works well so far.

Using Lee single stage press made 80 rounds of 10mm in a an hour (not rushing) sizing, priming without an auto primer, expand/powder drop, bullet seat, bullet crimp.  The expander die is Lee.  The other dies are Dillon.  All dies have Hornady Sure-loc rings, so I just screw them in without needing to set them.  Very nice to have a simple option for small quantities of ammo.

My Super 1050 will be warmed up soon for a run of .45acp and after that .223.

Thanks for your input gentlemen regarding the Lee Auto-Drum.

I'm glad it worked out. :) the cool thing for load development is it's easy to adjust and it's easy to have different drums pre-set for different powders. I have 6 drums with mine and have now got each of them setup for a different powder load and that's just covering 2 calibres!

9mm clays
9mm universal
38 super N105
38 Super universal (steel load)
38 super 3N38
38 Super autocomp

I need another pack of drums now as I want some setup for N350, 3N37 for my 38 super open guns. and I want one more 9mm load setup too. good thing the drums are cheap!

It does look like a cheap measure (makes sense as it is cheap) but it works better than my dillon measure does (which is also excellent). the powder change over is much easier in the lee. and the convenience of a different drum for each load is awesome. 

The only real caveat is rifle powder, in particular stick powders. Though I know guys using other drum type measures (RCBS and hornady) and they also struggle with stick powder (as does the dillon). I think stick powder with an auto type measure you really need to throw a charge close to what you want, then trickle to the desired amount. Stick cutting will always be an issue, but I can agree the lee is worse with it as some stick powder may damage the drum. I have used N105 which is a stick powder (though very short sticks) and it handled that one very well. 

• 4 weeks later...