Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK Hardcore vs. Thunder

Kletus

I'm fairly new to USPSA (Unclassified, shooting a 5" PPQ in production), but I think I've decided that Limited is where I want to play long term. I like to practice with the end in mind, so I think I'm going to go ahead and go all in and get me a good limited gun. I've heard really good things about the CK Arms pistols, and I think I've decided to go ahead and order one.

I'm pretty new to the 2011 platform, so can anyone give me the pros and cons fo the Hardcore vs. the Thunder? Of the pistols currently available... I like the looks of a Blacked out Hardcore with short dust cover. However, I'm thinking that long term the Thunder might be a better choice because of the slide lightening? I doubt it will really matter at this point because I have a long time to grow into the gun. In this case, the Hardcore version has the steel grip and the short dust cover. The Thunder has the polymer grip and long dust cover and is a fair amount cheaper. I'm open to any suggestions on which would be a better learner gun, and whether polymer or metal grip would be best. I think I'm leaning towards the Thunder anyway based on price (I could buy my mags for the price difference), but the short dust cover just feels more right to me from an aesthetic point of view.

Once I decide on the gun... the next step is the mags.. From what I've read, they will most likely need to be tuned, so would I be better off going with Brazos tuned mags (I'm open to the pros and cons of the different available baseplates), or with something like the MBX Extreme Mags?

It may be sacrilege, but I think I plan to start off running the gun from a Kydex holster, then move to a race holster down the road. Not sure I want to learn the ins and outs of a race holster at the same time I'm learning a new style of gun.

I'm currently loading 9 mm on a Dillon 650, so I'll be converting over to .40. However, I don't have a ton of time for reloading and load testing at the moment, so I'd love to hear some suggestions on good factory ammo to break in and initially shoot for local competition. I've had great success in my other guns with Geco ammo, but I'm wondering if the normal length will be an issue in a 2011. Any other suggestions for decently economical ammo for the new toy that will have reloadable brass?

Thanks for listening, and I'm looking forward to your responses.

If I remember correctly, the difference is somewhere around 0.2 oz between the two slide cuts. For a limited gun I would lean towards the hardcore (unless you aren't planning on ever using front serrations). You can set up either gun identically, so I would figure out if you want a metal grip or not and go from there. As far as mags, some people will recommend MBX, some will advocate buying tubes and getting grams/tti internals or something of the like. Personally I bought MBX mags (for open).

**as far as the holster, you might as well start with what you are going to shoot. Its expensive, but DAA race master seems to be 'the way to go'. Just spend a few hours dryfiring before you go to live fire with it.***

Edited by MHitchcock

There realy ins'nt any thing to learn abouth a Race holster so i would just buy one and use it from the start no need to begin with a kydex .

And yes a DAA race master or racer holster is a good choice .

CK Arms Hardcore with Metal Grip and Short dust cover on the way! Went with 5 of the MBX Mags, and ordered some long match ammo from Atlanta Arms. Any other good sources of long practice ammo (Atlanta Arms is out) that will have reloadable brass?

Wow... I put in an order from Atlanta Arms yesterday afternoon and FedEx just dropped them off at my office a few minutes ago! I know that I'm not that far away, but that is still extremely fast service!

Honestly, since you are new to the 2011 platform I would just try to find a used edge or eagle to get acclimate the to platform. All the while trying out the short/long, polymer/metal, non/lightened. Even going from a 10 to a 12.5 lb recoil spring changes how the gun feels and shoots. First you need to decide what kind of shooter you are? Can you handle heavy recoil, how fast are you transitions, what kind of impulse do you like? A light gun is harder to control but will move faster. An all steel heavyweight is a tank but recoils like a pussycat. All things that are considerations.