Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with picking a 3 gun scope.

I plan on buying a new 1-4 or 1-6 power scope, I have narrowed it down to there options in my price range(400-500)

Vortex Viper Pst

This seems like a great scope, I can't think of anything negative.

SWFA 1-4 Classic.

This scope has a reticle I like and really clear glass.

Vortex Strike Eagle

I haven't handled this scope but everyone seems to like it.

Any input on these is appreciated, for the record I have been shooting limited for the past 3 years.

Well I picked up a Viper PST 1-4 today in the classifieds. This scope was at the top of my list, I like the reticle and it has really good glass. I think this scope will serve me well.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Just wondering, since you have the Burris, why not a 3-9x or even a 4-12x?

Min magnification of 3x-4x is a lot to deal with close up on paper.  I tried using the 3.5-10x40 I had sitting on a 308 rifle and it was ok, but that setup is better for 300-800yd shooting than this game.  You want a BDC that's useable for a specific purpose at low magnification.  A dot at true 1x would be useful.  Check out the guy's 1-4x clip as well as the one I linked.  I'm leaning toward a vx-6 1-6 bc leupold can be had cheap.

Edited by somebrains

Min magnification of 3x-4x is a lot to deal with close up on paper.  I tried using the 3.5-10x40 I had sitting on a 308 rifle and it was ok, but that setup is better for 300-800yd shooting than this game.  You want a BDC that's useable for a specific purpose at low magnification.  A dot at true 1x would be useful.  Check out the guy's 1-4x clip as well as the one I linked.  I'm leaning toward a vx-6 1-6 bc leupold can be had cheap.

Thanks for picking up the ball for me. Got busy and couldn't check back in till now. The farthest shot I've had at a match was a little over 300 yds. A 7x scope will handle that just fine. e89fec81522a67b1d3d1a07b82b91fd4.jpg

Yeah, no sweat.  

Was looking thru my rifles a few days ago.

I really don't need all of these cluttered and complex reticles for 3gun.

I have way more scope than I need, unless it has a T1 on it.

Before I dump anymore $ I think I'm going to take a trip to Angeles and sit on the 600yd line for a bit with my M1A and clear my head.

Edited by somebrains

So far I really like this 1-4 Vortex. I plan on getting to the range this weekend to zero and test my long range loads. Up close to 300 yards will be a 55gr fmj and 300plus I will use a77gr Nosler custom comp with LC brass. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Vortex reticle over the MTAC or Strike Eagle style reticle because you can use the Circle for hosing yet the finer reticle marks are better for me at distance.  My eyes do OK out to 300 but I think I need a few more x's for 400 (or practice).

I feel these hash marks offer more clarity FOR ME.

VORTEX-Viper-PST-1-4x24-Rifle-Scope-TMCQ

MTAC dots lose precision at distance FOR ME.

ballisticcqreticle.jpg

15 minutes ago, dogtired said:

I like the Vortex reticle over the MTAC or Strike Eagle style reticle because you can use the Circle for hosing yet the finer reticle marks are better for me at distance.  My eyes do OK out to 300 but I think I need a few more x's for 400 (or practice).

I feel these hash marks offer more clarity FOR ME.

VORTEX-Viper-PST-1-4x24-Rifle-Scope-TMCQ

MTAC dots lose precision at distance FOR ME.

ballisticcqreticle.jpg

I agree! exactly why I went with the Athlon over the MTAC30 and strike eagle. and unbelievably crisp glass. the reticle was also much cleaner and the lines not as thick so IMO it's a lot cleaner.

ATSR16-SFP-IR-MOA-1624_png1-1024x1024.png

1 minute ago, dogtired said:

Give us a review.  Weight looks on the heavy side.  Chi-com?

it's slightly heavier I tried one on a friends gun. have also tried the strike eagle and was going to buy one until I tried the Athlon. it's awesome. I will have mine mounted and sighted this weekend I will give a review asap! it's more expensive but in my honest opinion should be priced upwards of 800-1000 for the quality. so clean and crisp and with both eyes open I had clear and perfect picture through every power 1 through 6.

• 4 weeks later...

I went with a Vortex PST 1-4. I started with a Strike Eagle but really wasn't all that impressed with it. It had trouble holding zero and I didn't care for the reticle that much. As far as the PST goes I really like it. The glass is better and clearer than the Strike Eagle and so far with many times being dumped in a dump bin it has yet to lose zero. I can't recommend the PST enough. 

• 2 weeks later...