Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Legal 10mm Dave Cylinder Release

Alaskan454

I've been using one of Dave's longer knuckle relief units since last Fall and really like it. One of our IDPA shooters was wondering if it could be made legal for an ESR gun so I ordered up the short version to play with. It appears to meet all of the criteria in the rule book by sanding off a small amount in thickness. I'll post a picture later tonight. It looks like the longer unit might also be legal with a bit of sanding at the very top near the hammer.

Just remember that it can only be used on the enhanced revolver side of REV in IDPA which is basically your moon clip guns running 155 PF. You can not use anything other than a factory latch on the SSR style speed loader guns running 105 PF.

No need to modify, I make an IDPA legal version that meets the current rule book.

Only long versions right now, with or without the knuckle relief.

PM me.

I'm glad you mentioned that Dave, I should have asked when I ordered the new one!

Just remember that it can only be used on the enhanced revolver side of REV in IDPA which is basically your moon clip guns running 155 PF. You can not use anything other than a factory latch on the SSR style speed loader guns running 105 PF.

That may have been the confusion on whether a pedal style release could be legal, but the rules are pretty straightforward for ESR:

8.2.5.5.1 Cylinder latches may be modified or replaced, but may not protrude past the frame in any direction and may not be thicker than 3/8" (9.5 mm) as measured from the side plate of the frame.

Mine ended up just shy of .375" and is definitely inside the frame limit, if Dave's longer release fits the protrusion criteria I might order one of those and save this one for a different gun. There is still plenty of real estate and it's a huge improvement over the factory part.

0804162001a_zpskfzw0vig.jpg

Looks good Alaskan.

Here's some pic's of what I sent in to IDPA HQ A year or so ago for approval, figured I would get them to give it a ya or nay

before I spent time & money making a bunch up. At first last year I had a guy get told it doesn't meet the rules,

but now maybe somebody has clarified the rules a little better for 2016 as there are 4 or 5 out there being used.

Someday I'll chop the barrel down on one of my 610's and try this IDPA game.

Heck, 155 pf out of a 4 inch shouldn't be too bad.....now where are those 220 grn bowling pin bullets :devil:

post-3-0-01769400-1470427081_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-74833500-1470427090_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-85213600-1470427110_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-93254700-1470427126_thumb.jpg

(man that last pic is ugly !!)

Edited by 10mmdave

Since you asked about lock access, did they ever decide if you could remove them?

That's kind of why I asked here, HQ never got back to me after 3 requests, ya I can read the rules

but we all have heard horror stories of how the rules can be interpreted from match to match.

I did have someone mention that access was not required anymore, but would you want to find out

at a big match that it is !!

If anyone can cite a rule number or a person in authority I can check with again please let me know.

Since you asked about lock access, did they ever decide if you could remove them?

That's kind of why I asked here, HQ never got back to me after 3 requests, ya I can read the rules

but we all have heard horror stories of how the rules can be interpreted from match to match.

I did have someone mention that access was not required anymore, but would you want to find out

If anyone can cite a rule number or a person in authority I can check with again please let me know.

Isn't it still accessible if your have access to the screw that holds the cylinder release in place? Unscrew that and you can access the lock. Then again that is logical and we talking about IDPA. Never mind.

Isn't it still accessible if your have access to the screw that holds the cylinder release in place? Unscrew that and you can access the lock. Then again that is logical and we talking about IDPA. Never mind.

That sounds like a USPSA rule interpreter :roflol:

Well, I could submit a request for rules clarification. They can't ignore everyone!

That might help, I'm not an IDPA member so maybe I'm not following the correct procedures.

The hammer lock was ruled a storage lock. Here is the clip from the rule book regarding storage locks. I have removed mine and replaced it with a plug.

8.1.6 Legal Modifications for All Divisions
8.1.6.1 Storage locks may be disabled or removed.

This is a picture from before I removed my lock. This is what you do with those hammer spurs. I pointed to the back of the latch and told one equipment guy that it was a factory part, it was a little bit true.. :ph34r::devil:

Latch3.jpg

Yes thanks Gregg, I think that rule spells it out.

This would cover those 1911 guys that have one of those mainspring housings with a lock in it too (Taurus? Springfield Amory ??)

Anyways, thanks again, guess I better get back to making these specials up, not too many though in case they change the rules again :devil:

Yes thanks Gregg, I think that rule spells it out.

This would cover those 1911 guys that have one of those mainspring housings with a lock in it too (Taurus? Springfield Amory ??)

Anyways, thanks again, guess I better get back to making these specials up, not too many though in case they change the rules again :devil:

Yes, it covered those mainspring locks as well. It was a no brainer on the S&W hammer lock since the S&W manual said to never engage the lock with the weapon loaded.

The magazine disconnect guys got a break as well like the Browning Hi Power, you can get rid of the disconnects too.

8.1.6 Legal Modifications for All Divisions

8.1.6.1 Storage locks may be disabled or removed.

8.1.6.2 Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.

• 7 years later...