Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22LR pistol, Steel Challenge & suppressor host?

Trying to make up my mind on a new pistol. I want something I can use for Steel Challenge and also screw on a can for plinking, so it needs to have a threaded barrel. Looking for reliability first, accuracy a close second, durability needs to be up there too. Appearance and price are lesser considerations.

I currently own a non-threaded S&W 22A that I've raced up with target grips, red dot and fluted bull barrel. It's nice, pretty accurate, but not a true tack driver and the internals only seem to last about 9k rounds before it needs a new recoil spacer+rod+spring and extractor.

I also own a GSG 1911-22 but I'm about to sell it. After doing a ton of work to try and smooth it out, it's still not terribly reliable and the so-called metal the gun is made out of doesn't look as if it will hold up to a high round count. Really needs better sights. And accuracy is lacking.

I'm very interested in the new Grand Power K22 X-Trim but it's so new that there is very little info available as to its accuracy, quality and reliability. Grand Power has a great rep for 9mm's but if the 22 doesn't shoot well there's currently zero aftermarket support to solve any performance issues.

I'm also very interested in the old S&W 2206 but it's been out of production so long that finding magazines and parts will only get harder as time goes by.

S&W just came out with the Victory which is a nicer version of the 22A. I suppose I could get one of those, add a Volquartsen barrel if necessary and keep spare parts ready. I already have a ton of mags for it.

Or I could go for a Ruger 22/45, add a Volquartsen trigger and get a better barrel.

Sure, I could buy a S&W Model 41 and get a threaded barrel for it, but I could buy six other 22 pistols for the same price. If that's truly the only way to fly then I'll do it, but I'd rather not spend that much if I don't have to. Really wish S&W would offer one threaded from the factory, I wouldn't be able to resist.

I'll pass on the Berretta, Walther, Glock, M&P, ISSC, Browning, Ruger Mark2, Mark3 and SR-22. Too many bad reviews or grip angle that feels weird to me. 1911 conversion kits are heavier than I'd like for a 22, adding the can makes it worse.

Trying to stay well under $1,000 or I'll lose my mind and get the Model 41 + threaded barrel which will run about $1,400 (ouch!)

Any input appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

CZ Kadet upper on any 75B lower.  Parts are readily available, threaded barrels also readily available. You could buy a $275 surplus 75B, a Kadet upper for $350, and have another ~$350 to spend with CGW or CZC to clean it up, replace any worn parts, new coating, and slick up the trigger.  And if you need a bigger budget, you can sell the slide from the 75B and probably recoup $150-$200, depending on what condition its in.

Edited by ClangClang

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 8:04 PM, ClangClang said:

CZ Kadet upper on any 75B lower.  Parts are readily available, threaded barrels also readily available. You could buy a $275 surplus 75B, a Kadet upper for $350, and have another ~$350 to spend with CGW or CZC to clean it up, replace any worn parts, new coating, and slick up the trigger.  And if you need a bigger budget, you can sell the slide from the 75B and probably recoup $150-$200, depending on what condition its in.

This is a great idea, but I cannot find any Kadet kits for sale anywhere, even on gunbroker.

After checking weights on many of the available .22 pistol and conversion options, I see that most are just as, if not more, heavy than a 1911. The only ones that are lighter are compacts or potmetal junk. With that fact, I'm now considering 1911 kits, specifically the Marvel 1. Reports are that it is very sturdy, reliable and incredibly accurate. Bonus, it can be ordered with a threaded barrel from the factory. $484 for upper + $85 for combo rib + $60 for threaded barrel = $629. I have a match 1911 I can use for a lower until I get around to building a dedicated lower. Thoughts?