Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC SBR barrel length questions

Climbhard

So i want to build 9mm upper for my SBR lower. Quetion is what barrel length. Id like to have about a 5" barrel with my ti-tant can under a 9" handguard. Ths would be the "fun" configuration. But i realize I cant run it surpressed in PCC so what can I thread on the barrel to get the gasses out past by handguard if the barrel is 3.5" or so shorter? Is there any reason i cant envision why id want a longer barrel say 8" on a seven inche handguard for PCC. Bummer is then with the can I'm 14.5" 15" long which negates the "fun" facror plus the can doesnt look as good sticking out there by itself.

You can either gut the can and turn it into a "barrel shroud" when you are shooting USPSA, or you can have someone build you a barrel shroud so it will extend past the hand-guard. You probably can get a shroud made for pretty cheap. I've seen them as cheap as 60 bucks

http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-your-own-barrel-shroud-9mm-ar-15-style-rifles/

Edited by DocMedic

JP sent a barrel extension with my SBR, never actually used it. The prohibition of suppressors from USPSA is stupid. After 8 or 9 inches, the extra barrel actually reduces velocity with most common pistol powders.

I just built two uppers. One a 16" barrel with a pistol comp on the end (for competition), the other a 8.5" barrel that is at the gunsmith and will be an integrally suppressed barrel for other things. :)

My PCC is a 7" barrel with a 9.5" rail. I have it set up for a suppressor to fit inside my rail but when I'm not running suppressed I have the same issue, I need a way to get the gas out the end of the rail. I am running a KAK flash can that is threaded 1/2x36. It adds some weight to the end of the gun so a little help with muzzle rise.

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/9mm/kak-industry-flash-can-9mm

Damn I was going to do the same thing but pin my can as I have no use for this can as it just sits in my safe. So u cant run supressed in PCC?? Thats a stupid rule.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Agree it is not a rule I like. But I think it is in response to the naysayers who think all the suppressed AR9s are not able to be picked up on the shot timers.

An extra upper, rail and barrel for the second upper was only $300, so it was not a huge deal.

My PCC is a 7" barrel with a 9.5" rail. I have it set up for a suppressor to fit inside my rail but when I'm not running suppressed I have the same issue, I need a way to get the gas out the end of the rail. I am running a KAK flash can that is threaded 1/2x36. It adds some weight to the end of the gun so a little help with muzzle rise.

https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/9mm/kak-industry-flash-can-9mm

Saw that one but I'd need 7" of barrel to clear a 9" rail. I think I'm going with that 5 1/2" flash hider I posted on a 5" barrel with 9" handguard.

...So u cant run supressed in PCC?? Thats a stupid rule.

Agree it is not a rule I like. But I think it is in response to the naysayers who think all the suppressed AR9s are not able to be picked up on the shot timers.

In general I agree that having the fewest possible restrictions on PCC configuration would be preferable. Unfortunately, my experience is that the timer can struggle to pick up the shots from even an unsuppressed 16" 9mm PCC, especially when the muzzle is projecting through a port. The RO can only get so close, and the ejection port is not always accessible without getting in the shooters way. Adjusting the timer sensitivity is not always an option either. IMHO a suppressor on a PCC is a recipe for a high percentage of reshoots, which nobody wants.

Hopefully someone will be able to generate data and protocols that will allow suppressors in the future, but with all the other teething issues we still have to work out with PCC, I would prefer suppressors stay off the table at least for the time being.

I know my mpx does not register on my timer at all. The only round that gets picked up is the very first one because of first round pop. I've tried it during a side match. Good news I was the fastest time though. Lol

I have a MPX that is 4.7" with a 3-Lug mount. I'm waiting on an Omega 9K to get out of jail and a Form 1 to make it a SBR. I've sent a 2nd 3-lug Silencerco adapter to a machinist to fit a piece of aluminum tubing. I'll plan on useing this as a muzzle device for USPSA. I don't think I'll have any issues with the timer and the Omega 9K in most other events I'll use it. I'm going to do a similar exercise with a JP 9MM SBR.