Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GemPro 250 Not holding Zero

This past Dec I purchased from Brian Enos an RL550B setup which included a GemPro 250 scale. When I zero out the Tare Weight the unit will only hold that zero for five to ten minutes and then starts to drift off. This then requires another Tare Zero to continue. I sent a message to the manufacture, but they have not responded. Is this normal or is my unit defective and if defective how do you get it repaired?

A drifting zero can be caused by static electricity, among other things. Wipe a dryer sheet all over the scale and see if it still drifts.

yes....and on top of that , an open window, air controlled unit, a close fluorescent light ....all these factors can gets you such effects on the scale.

My phone messed with my gempro also. Had to keep it across the room.

I had best luck by leaving the scale on all of the time and shutting the HVAC vents in the room. Calibrate right before loading.

But.. the Gempro is also known for drift. Calling the mfr is probably your best bet.

i had problems with a Gem Pro250... i noticed when i put 6.8gr of autocomp powder... if i let it set on the scale for about 30 seconds.. it would start changing the weight... it would decend... this strange behavior would continue as long as i kept a known weight of powder on the scale.. after calling Gem Pro about it.... they sent me a new scale and asked me to return the old one... well, the new scale did the same thing... so i got rid of it.. and bought a RCBS Charge Master 1500... this scale is top notch... once a known weight is dumped on the scale... it never changes... RCBS makes top notch equipment....

Thanks for all the tips. The dryer sheets is the only thing that I have not tried. Next loading session I will give that a try. Per the mfr web site I sent them an email, no response. I tried calling, no answer. Their product support seems to be lacking.

I have been quite pleased with my 7 ~ 8 year old GemPro. I think some people, like my son-in-law, get all caught up in that extra digit.

When I am checking a powder dispenser, 8 maybe 10 throws, the tare will fluctuate a couple hundredths, like .02 grain. For example; if I am wanting a charge of 18.5 grains and I get 18.52 or 17.49 that is a non issue for me. I can't imagine anyone wanting more accuracy than that.

• 5 weeks later...

My GemPro 250 started doing something similar. If you zero'd it and let it sit...it would start going negative. It wouldn't stop either. No matter what I did, how I calibrated it, it still start drifting down. What did I do? I called them, they told me to send it back with proof of purchase. Uh oh! Proof of purchase? They provide a card with it to do just that. Of course I threw mine out a year earlier. I bought it on Amazon. I printed off the purchase and sent it in. A week later they sent me a new scale.

The scale has a 30 year warranty and they stood behind it for 4 years...so far so good. 

The new scale works great and I'm glad I bought it. 

• 1 month later...

I have been trying to contact the company via email and telephone several times with no luck. They have not responded to any request for assistance. A 30 year or lifetime warranty is not worth very much when the company will not respond to a service request. I did find that it will hold zero a little longer if you do not use the pad to rest the unit on. Seems the pad can give a little and this can effect the unit. I cannot recommend this product due to very poor support.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an update. 

I finally got lucky and a lady answered the phone two weeks ago. She gave me a different address for warranty repair than the one that came with my unit. Sent the unit off Oct 24, and received a new unit today(11/3/2016). Will start reloading again tomorrow.