Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will Freedom Munitions Never Learn?

Sarge

After the "stepped" brass debacle they decided to quit using that brass in their ammo. BUT now, even though it's news to me, they have unveiled their AMERICAN STEEL ammo which uses a brass plated steel case! UGH.... just another headstamp to look for to throw away.

It's almost as if they don't want anybody to reload their cases....

https://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-luger-115-gr-rn-steel-new.html

Edited by Sarge

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ammoland, IMT, FM are the stepped headstamps.

Thanks.

I've went back to sorting my brass. Pretty much any foreign junk gets sorted. Gonna send it to Freedom for thier credit program.

Just watched their video.

I just hope it's still magnetic. Just get a magnet and give the "brass" pile a once over and get rid of it that way! Hopefully.......

Yes it is magnetic. It was confusing at first because the magnet was picking up cases that looked like brass. But after some internet research I found out that FM was brass plating their steel cased line.

I sweep my brass before and during sorting with a magnet, so all the steel ends up in the trash. As far as the stepped brass goes, it shoots just fine with mild loads that would be considered 9mm minor. I dont load major, but I think I would avoid it due to loss of case capacity.

I have shot tons of the stepped case brass at minor PF and have never had as much as a split neck. The only problems it has ever given me was loading some 150gr SWC that seat very deep in the case, the stepped stuff bulges too much to be usable.

I definitely agree about not using it for major PF ammo, have seen enough pics of ruptured cases to know better than to try that.

Please consider reading this.

http://ammoguru.com/pats-notes-from-the-field-whats-the-deal-with-steel-ammo/

The condensed version.

These cases hold the same amount of water. (powder volume is equal to all other brass cases)

These cases do not harm your guns. (extraction forces are not greater)

These cases will load and shoot just like brass. (this is NOT officially ok with FM)

I don't blindly say crap. I test in as scientific manner as I can to bring facts to the fore.

You are welcome to hate on these cases. I just ask that you do knowing the facts.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

It's all about Money,and I bet that steel is way cheaper

I bet you are right. Couple that with the fact that better than 50% of ammo consumers do not reload.

Lower cost sales to those who don't reload...just like CCI Blazer Aluminum.

The condensed version.

These cases hold the same amount of water. (powder volume is equal to all other brass cases)

These cases will load and shoot just like brass. (this is NOT officially ok with FM)

I don't blindly say crap. I test in as scientific manner as I can to bring facts to the fore.

You are welcome to hate on these cases. I just ask that you do knowing the facts.

Interesting info. I havent seen any of the steel FM brass here locally. I have 10k+ pieces of brass 9mm on hand so I think Im set.

The condensed version.

". And third, the inter-webs are a great place to share knowledge and first hand experience, but all too often we read posts where the author has of neither of the two."

Pretty good article until you ended it with the above. I find that established "experts" tend to downplay the amount of knowledge and experience us minions often possess! I know for a fact that FM has a terrible track record in 5.56, I know I once won a box if FM 9mm that did not have the bell removed, I know the stepped brass that FM ceased using can and will separate right at the ledge when loaded to 9MAJOR.

Before I got wise to the old S&B trick of brass washing steel cases I loaded some to 9MAJOR and a good portion of them split so I would never load another steel case.

Not sure what you are driving at Sarge, but I have been told on numerous occasions to lower the "flesch kincaid" reading level a notch or two. Downplay knowledge? Hard to know where the reader is at, so I need to cover some background to

get those less informed up to the level of our average forum member.

I don't know who reads my stuff (I assume not very many) but I work to offer info the best I can.

I am a power plant operator not a full time shooter nor journalist. Experience? Like many guys on this

forum and have been reloading and shooting for better than 40 years and competing since 1987.

Perhaps not enough experience or knowledge to make it worth while for some, but again, I try to give those

who take the time to read my best effort.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

No self deprecation Pat, not allowed here.

I read your stuff, hell I had to look up Flesch Kincaid but I was educated in Oklahoma!

The well read, educated, articulate, gun nuts are not a common breed. But folks that push edumacational and vocabulariztion boundaries will change that!

No self deprecation Pat, not allowed here.

I read your stuff, hell I had to look up Flesch Kincaid but I was educated in Oklahoma!

The well read, educated, articulate, gun nuts are not a common breed. But folks that push edumacational and vocabulariztion boundaries will change that!

Hell, I can't spell gradiate, now I are one!

I started loading the stepped cases because no one wanted them. I have not had any issues (I am loading minor not major). Not even a split case. I have been rotating through a batch of several thousand and am on my third or fourth pass. Before I started the big batch I had a test sample of 25 or so that I ran 10 loadings on with zero failures.