Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing new clear tube in LNL powder measure

My original tube gave up the ghost after 80K+ rounds. I had a spare on hand so no problem so I thought. I was able to get the new tube about 1/2 down into the threads, but it was a bear to get it started straight and "tight" does not do justice to the amount of strength required to get even that far down.

I "google'd" for suggestions without success, but for future reference I wouldn't mind hearing from others who replaced this tube.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I assumed the same RickT and wished I'd found this thread before doing mine just this week.  In final frustration, I tapped it in with a piece of pine board I found laying close.

FWIW, be sure to get it all the way in to the bottom. Can't describe the mess it creates when it falls out half full of powder, which happened to me once when I did the "turn it 180 fix."

JD

• 1 month later...

This is most depressing. I'm changing over to a Hornady powder measure on my Dillon 650. I'm not a fan of the Dillon powder measure enough for me to try something else. Now I find out that the P/M I'm going to apparently dissolves.

It always puzzled me why the entire reloading world used drum type powder measures and DIllon used a sliding bar that no one else uses....now I have to duct tape it. When I was going my research I found a video where the drilled and tapped 3 holes and put set screws in them to hold it on. I thought that was a little odd...now I know why. 

I have NEVER had a problem with the Hornady measure. The hopper is just like all other hoppers I have seen--appears to be polystyrene. The only thing that has ever happened to any hopper on any measure I have used or seen is the plastic darkens. Whether this is from residual solvents or NG, I don't know. What I do know is that it does not harm the unction in any way.

I purposely removed the hopper from my measure. The ONLY thing I like about the Dillon measures is the hoppers on mine are held in by a couple of screws (which, I am sure, will strip the plastic if used often). If someone wants to, maybe they can drill and tap their measure and hopper just like Dillon.

I simply put the hopper on and "tapped" it against the bench top a couple of times. Since the hopper is so tall and holds so much powder, I like to use a little tape on it to be sure that the hopper doesn't bounce off. That is really a lot of weight hanging over the press when the hopper is full.