Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about value of Aftec extractor

zzt

I understand the theory behind them, and I 'm wondering if there is any real benefit to using them on all future builds. I've run standard extractors, externals, HD EGW and Aftec and have never had a failure to extract, or a broken extractor. Is using them just a convenience thing, or insurance, or is there a real long term benefit other than probably never having to fit and blend a new one.

You will still have to blend the Aftec just like a standard extractor. I know lots of people that swear by them but I can buy 3 standard extractors and still have money left over for the price of one Aftec so I can't justify the expense. Plus the springs are easily lost so if you do get one you should buy some extras.

Edited by MrPostman

They are 100% reliable and don't wear out. Standard extractors work fine too if it's a quality part and set up correctly. But on a competition gun that sees probably 10 or 15k rounds a year, it will wear out eventually. And when it does, it will be almost impossible to blend the new one perfectly and match the finish without redoing the slide (or entire gun). If you use an Aftec from the start, you'll never have that problem.

For my purposes, I found the Aftec extractor to be the most reliable.

Years ago I had fits getting extractors to work on a 9x21 gun with a Caspian slide. Tried several different brands and continued to have problems. A friend recommended the then new Aftec extractors. It solved all problems.

That gun has well over 75 thousand rounds on it with only the occasional spring change. None of the springs went bad, it was just a good time to change them out.

My other match guns have not had that many rounds through them but they all have Aftec extractors and all perform flawlessly.

To me it was the buy once, cry once situation.

(Someone jog my memory. Originally these were marketed under a different name. Was it Millenium Gun Works or something? Thanks.)

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I think if you have no problems with the standard extractors... keep on running them.

Me personally I went through several extractors several years ago with my .40. It seemed like they lasted 5K rounds and then they would lose tension. I don't have that problem with the Aftecs.

Low round count 1911's I still use the standard extractor. I have Aftecs on my high use competition pistols.

I broke an extractor on am STI Edge at IPSC Nationals, 32 round Field Course, broke on 1st shot.

Gun only had about 8,000 rounds through it.

Aftecs can and do occasionally break, but it is rare.

I broke an extractor on am STI Edge at IPSC Nationals, 32 round Field Course, broke on 1st shot.

Gun only had about 8,000 rounds through it.

Aftecs can and do occasionally break, but it is rare.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 7:59 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

For my purposes, I found the Aftec extractor to be the most reliable.

Years ago I had fits getting extractors to work on a 9x21 gun with a Caspian slide. Tried several different brands and continued to have problems. A friend recommended the then new Aftec extractors. It solved all problems.

That gun has well over 75 thousand rounds on it with only the occasional spring change. None of the springs went bad, it was just a good time to change them out.

My other match guns have not had that many rounds through them but they all have Aftec extractors and all perform flawlessly.

To me it was the buy once, cry once situation.

(Someone jog my memory. Originally these were marketed under a different name. Was it Millenium Gun Works or something? Thanks.)

Millennium Custom?

I think they were first sold as the Kidd ll extractor

a much simpler version of the original Kidd extractor, which looked an awfully like the much later para PTX

sometime later they were sold by millennium custom 

I have aftecs in my 3 sti open 38super guns. Installed are aftec for .38 super. All 3 works reliably with 38 supercomp but all 3 jams intermittently with .38 super. If an aftec for .38 supercomp/9mm is installed all 3 jams on .38 super AND 38 supercomp. Even if one or two springs are installed. Weird. 

10 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

I have aftecs in my 3 sti open 38super guns. Installed are aftec for .38 super. All 3 works reliably with 38 supercomp but all 3 jams intermittently with .38 super. If an aftec for .38 supercomp/9mm is installed all 3 jams on .38 super AND 38 supercomp. Even if one or two springs are installed. Weird. 

They are fitted properly right?

1 hour ago, BoyGlock said:

Yes. As Aftec should always be fitted. 

I figured it was as I seem to recall you building some 2011's?

Never hurts to ask to eliminate the obvious. Plus, there might be somebody out there that he hunks they just drop in! Ha!

On 8/1/2016 at 10:14 AM, zzt said:

I understand the theory behind them, and I 'm wondering if there is any real benefit to using them on all future builds. I've run standard extractors, externals, HD EGW and Aftec and have never had a failure to extract, or a broken extractor. Is using them just a convenience thing, or insurance, or is there a real long term benefit other than probably never having to fit and blend a new one.

Once a gun (firing pin stop) is fit to an AFTEC, you never need to revisit a smith.  They don't need bending or other fitting. The little springs wear out-replace them.  The extractor wears out (they all will at some point) just replace it with a new one.  That is the benefit. 

2 hours ago, lcs said:

Once a gun (firing pin stop) is fit to an AFTEC, you never need to revisit a smith.  They don't need bending or other fitting. The little springs wear out-replace them.  The extractor wears out (they all will at some point) just replace it with a new one.  That is the benefit. 

The back will need blended at least. A new aftec stuck out about 1/8" from the rear of my slide. Worked fine but it was fugly!

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

I figured it was as I seem to recall you building some 2011's?

Never hurts to ask to eliminate the obvious. Plus, there might be somebody out there that he hunks they just drop in! Ha!

No I dont build 2011s. I have a very good gs that do it for me. But Im a bit handy on minor gs works and try to understand and learn from the works. In this case I just want to dispel the notions that aftec is a drop in part and a better replacement to the classic JB design. For its cost and function, it is not. But I have it in all my 2011s. One in .40 and three in .38s. 

Just my 02. 

17 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

No I dont build 2011s. I have a very good gs that do it for me. But Im a bit handy on minor gs works and try to understand and learn from the works. In this case I just want to dispel the notions that aftec is a drop in part and a better replacement to the classic JB design. For its cost and function, it is not. But I have it in all my 2011s. One in .40 and three in .38s. 

Just my 02. 

May I also clarify that the jams are all FTFs in 38S never FTE (All in 38S none in .40) and at a rate of about 1 or 2 in 200 rnds. It may not be much but still unreliable in my book. So i use 38s in practice and clubshoots and 38SC in matches. 

Edited by BoyGlock
Spelling