Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 hammer falls, but round doesn't fire. Advice?

bsweatt

Recently my Stoeger M3000 has been failing to fire the round in the chamber. The hammer drops, but nothing happens. I eject the shell and the primer hasn't been touched. This problem is intermittent. Usually occurring once every 25 rounds. It has always occurred on my first shot except for once when it occurred on the second. I have disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the bolt, firing pin and trigger group. Nothing looks broken, stressed, or out of place. I've been shooting factory loads, federal field and target multi puropose load to be exact. If anyone has any knowledge on what is causing this to happen I would love to know because it has befuddled me, but I am new to shotguns. The m3000 is an inertia driven gun similar to the Benelli's of the same mechanism if you aren't familiar with the m3000 specifically. I've really gotten frustrated with this occurring during 5 stand rounds and appreciate any help and advice.

I'm not an expert on shotguns nor an M3000 owner, but was in the market for a shotgun and did some research on the M3000 at that time. I recall seeing more than one person reporting your same issue. No resolutions were posted though, only an initial complaint.

Standard ideas: make sure the firing pin can move freely, hasn't developed any burrs, can extend fully past the breech face, etc. Do the pencil test to make sure the pin extends. Check the firing pin channel (does the M3000 have one like a normal semi-auto? I assume so, but like I said, not an M3000 owner or familiar with their inertia system) doesn't have any gunk. That can be slowing down the pin velocity to the point that it can't dimple the primers. I had the exact same issue on one of my glocks. Had to pull the pin, clean inside with a pipe cleaner, blow everything out with compressed air and reassemble. Fixed the problem on the spot.

Edited by ClangClang

I had this problem with a used M3K that I bought as a backup gun to my M2. Gun had over 1k rounds and previous owner had installed a Benelli extractor to solve another issue. I suspected the bolt wasn't going to full lock up, the extractor cut in the barrel was terribly chewed up so I smoothed & polished. Performance was much improved but still occasionally occurred.

As recommended by Benelli rep, I lightly smoothed the back side of the extractor and replaced the action spring under the forearm. Concern was if the gun was normally stored with the bolt back the spring may have weakened. It ran the next 75 rounds in a match problem free so I'm hopeful it's fixed & went back to M2.

dont like to trash on someones gun, but the stoeger shotguns dont have an exactly stellar reputation. not up on their auto's, but their o/u's tend to have weak hammer springs.

No I knew I wasn't buying a browning or beretta, this is my first shotgun though and was in my price range.

Today I cycled rounds through the shotgun manually to see if it wasn't going into battery. This doesn't seem to be the problem although I wasn't able to fire it and see because I was in my house. On one occasion though I dropped the bolt and the cartridge drop lever did not pop out like it should. I'm wondering if this could be what's happening. From what I understand when it pops out you know the hammer is fully cocked and ready to fly. I then slightly pressed on the carrier and it popped out, so it was catching for some reason. I'll have to pay attention to this and check the cartridge drop before I yell pull next weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I also have started to have an occasional FTF with my M3000 and this only developed after about 2000 rounds. The shell shows very light hit on the primer. Cleaned it completely, including pulling the firing pin. Still does it about once, twice per 100 shots. Any ideas??

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 2:50 PM, BirdTown said:

I also have started to have an occasional FTF with my M3000 and this only developed after about 2000 rounds. The shell shows very light hit on the primer. Cleaned it completely, including pulling the firing pin. Still does it about once, twice per 100 shots. Any ideas??

Benelli click?

Found the problem. Winchester Wal-Mart loads were the problem. It seems Winchester does not hold their quality checks like they used to with these Wal-Mart only shells. I gathered up the shells that failed plus several more. The primer depth was all over the place. From flush to 15 thousand low.

I now purchase only the Federal ones. No problems.