Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Load Recipe Wanted

Qoo

Does anyone here shooting a CK Arms Thunder 9mm Open Gun with the following load data?

Precision Delta - 124gr JHP

HS6

Federal Small Pistol Primer

what is your powder charge? what is your OAL? I am switching from Montana Gold 124gr JHP to Precision Delta.

Thanks

Don't know about with a Thunder, but I'm running a 1.125-1.13 length with 7.9-8.1gr getting around 169pf out of my Czechmate. I'll probably run it a little longer eventually, but for right now that's what's running.

Plunk test your barrel to see what is the longest COL it can take before it hits the rifling.

I was using PD 124gr JHP, the longest COL I can drop without binding is 1.158". I also have CK Arms Thunder.

My plan is load to 1.148" COL, but my powder is WAC with Win SRP.

p1887298243-4.jpg

Don't know about with a Thunder, but I'm running a 1.125-1.13 length with 7.9-8.1gr getting around 169pf out of my Czechmate. I'll probably run it a little longer eventually, but for right now that's what's running.

That sounds very short on the OAL, i am currently at 1.145" with the Montana Gold 124gr JHP, 7.8gr HS6 and i am getting 172PF

Plunk test your barrel to see what is the longest COL it can take before it hits the rifling.

I was using PD 124gr JHP, the longest COL I can drop without binding is 1.158". I also have CK Arms Thunder.

My plan is load to 1.148" COL, but my powder is WAC with Win SRP.

p1887298243-4.jpg

Thanks for the tips, i think that is the way to test it out. will load up some rounds with different COL and plunk test with the barrel then.

Have to do The Plunk Test with the bullets you're planning on using - PD's 124 JHP's.

Your results will be different with MG 124 JHP's :)

Yes Sir! :cheers:

8.3gr HS6, PD 124gr JHP, 1.165 COL, CCI small pistol primers. CKArms 9mm Thunder open. Around 172 pf. No real sign of over pressure worth noting. Plunk test is important, as I have read this may be long for some with the same gun.

Molson

Edited by molson

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dwampler22 said:

What coal do u run ur 115jhps at? I run them 1.150 and they are hardly holding on!

What bullet are you using? With 115 gr HAPs I'm loading out to 1.175 and feel like I've got plenty of bullet in the case. Not sure I'd go much longer but you'd be surprised at how well a properly sized case can hold onto what seems like not a lot of bullet

14 hours ago, Dwampler22 said:

I'm using precision delta 124 jhp

They should be fine at 1.150, or even at 1.165"   IFF you're sizing the

dies so there is a lot of neck tension.

Try 1.16" and see if you can twist them or push them in or out - if so,

you might need to try a tighter sizing die  to increase neck tension.   :) 

If you're switching from MG's to PD's nothing much will change. Stick with the same oal, do check that it still plunks fine, work up just like you did for MG's. You'll pretty much end up in the same spot. Differences between the two bullets exist but performance wise they are very similar. 

On 7/29/2016 at 9:00 AM, Qoo said:

Does anyone here shooting a CK Arms Thunder 9mm Open Gun with the following load data?

Precision Delta - 124gr JHP

HS6

Federal Small Pistol Primer

what is your powder charge? what is your OAL? I am switching from Montana Gold 124gr JHP to Precision Delta.

Thanks

Now I usually get exasperated with the guys that say drop down a grain and load carefully but I feel that with 9mm Major it should be said.  I shortened my OAL on my open loads from 1.18 to 1.14 and the HS6 charge dropped from 7.6 to 7 grains to make major.  I don't think you can take short cuts.  Sorry for being that guy.

23 hours ago, dogtired said:

Now I usually get exasperated with the guys that say drop down a grain and load carefully but I feel that with 9mm Major it should be said.  I shortened my OAL on my open loads from 1.18 to 1.14 and the HS6 charge dropped from 7.6 to 7 grains to make major.  I don't think you can take short cuts.  Sorry for being that guy.

Totally cool lol safer then sry!!