Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rockcastle Run N Gun 5k: Park City, KY, March 18, 2017

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - sold out in twenty minutes. I am humbled and will do my best to do this right for all of you. I guess we have proven that there is demand for this kind of match on this side of the US. Now to see if I can really do all that bull$hit I said I could...

Got in. Was at the gym and stopped lifting just to make the sign in. I'm torn between my ak and ar. Ak would probably be more reliable but WAY heavier but the ar would probably be more prone to "jams" and whatnot from mud. Any ideas?? Anyone wearing battle belt or chest rig or both? Plates in your rig [emoji57]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, eddiegunks said:

im in!  i cant wait!

do we have a min round count?

thx

38 required rifle hits and 33 required pistol hits.  I strongly suggest you carry at least twice that, but if you're really confident in your hits you can carry exactly that amount.  Or if you're not confident in your hits you might want to carry five times that amount.  ;-)

1 hour ago, Hoosiershooter said:

I'm pretty sure payment is due day of the match. Paid to Rockcastle.

This.  Rockcastle will collect payment on the morning of the match during registration, while I have you draw your run time randomly out of a bowl.

1 hour ago, mattmann said:

Got in. Was at the gym and stopped lifting just to make the sign in. I'm torn between my ak and ar. Ak would probably be more reliable but WAY heavier but the ar would probably be more prone to "jams" and whatnot from mud. Any ideas?? Anyone wearing battle belt or chest rig or both? Plates in your rig emoji57.png?

I vote AK, just because it's something different.  I shoot a FAL just because I enjoy it most.  I've had a couple folks ask if AR pistols were legal for the "rifle", and I always tell them as long as it shoots a centerfire rifle round I'm happy.  If they want to try to hit a 4 MOA target at 300 yds with a "pistol", more power to them!

Reposting from the Facebook Event Page just to be sure everyone sees this:

There will be FOUR trophies for this match: First, second, and third overall - and the "Mule" trophy for the person who carries the most weight (as a percentage of their bodyweight) and FINISHES the course. Run time and shooting score do not matter to the Mule, just the raw determination to NOT QUIT no matter how hard it is.

In Oklahoma I saw a guy run the course in full SWAT gear, including balaclava. Another guy did it with a full plate carrier just to see if he could. And a third did it with what I would call a "bug out bag" on his back, with everything you could think of INCLUDING a grappling hook. They were not the fastest, and not all of them even finished the match - but that's not why they were out there.
So I wanted to have some way to recognize the craziest of those folks. The "Mule" trophy was the best I could come up with.

We don't have many sponsors since this is the first match of its kind, and I'm spending 99.99% of my time making sure the match goes well and 0.01% of my time chasing sponsors - so the prize table will be small. At the moment I'm thinking we'll give away what prizes we do have by random draw, but that may change if we suddenly have a huge growth in prizes. Everyone feel free to contact me at mstennett@twlakes.net if you'd like to sponsor the match or donate anything to the prize table.

And I take this for granted so I forgot to make it clear - but NO M855/SS109 green tip, or any other "penetrator" type ammo will be allowed at this match.  We will be using lots of steel targets and don't want to damage them.  If a magnet sticks to your bullet or you have any doubt, don't bring it.

4 hours ago, dauntedfuture said:

You might think about editing your previous post on this one...

Good catch - thanks.  I copied and pasted most of that from the OK Run N Gun website (with permission), and missed that detail.

The forum won't let me edit a post that old though - can any mod help?

• 2 weeks later...

I am thrilled to announce we picked up another stage sponsor! Carolina Smoke and Guns will be sponsoring Stage 5: Make the Shot When It Counts. They are donating a few Aero Precision lowers and possibly a pistol for the prize table. Be sure to visit and like their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/S2FCLLC/?hc_location=ufi or their webpage at http://starttofinishllc.com/ , thank them for their support, and give them a hard look if you're in the market for firearms, class III stuff, suppressors, holsters, accessories, or training!

We still have three other stages available to be sponsored, and several obstacles. There's also some serious talk about a new obstacle that will be the most challenging yet:  

The Siren's song:

2/3 - 3/4 of the way through the course, when everyone is exhausted and really questioning why they do this to themselves (probably near the top of the big hill coming out of the cave), have a group of guys and pretty girls sitting around drinking beer/coffee/hot chocolate - heckling the people running by and trying their best to get them to quit.

"Why are you doing this to yourself? If you'll just stop, you can sit down here, have a beer, and then we'll give you a ride back to the lodge where you can have a nice hot shower and good meal."

Remember: in response to any ugly heckling including the words "fat", "slow", or "old", I've given the shooters permission and encouragement to issue a buttstroke to the offender. The whole point here is to encourage the people to quit, not to make them feel bad about themselves.

What do you think???