Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unintentionally release of the mag

kontra

Hi,

every now and then I unintenionally release the mag of my CZ 75 SP-01. Especially when I go hard and usually only during live fire. Good thing about that is, that it prevents me during matches to overpace...but it still sucks. ;-)

Anybody here with the same problem? What is your solutution? Is there a smaller Mag Release available?

Can you reproduce it during dryfire?

I would guess you have a bit of an inconsistent grip. If your hands aren't always in the same place it sets the stage for things like this to happen. I'd recommend you place your hands perfectly on the gun and have a second person draw lines connecting them so you can check to see how consistent your grip is.

Video of it would be helpful. If you're not already, get video. I would think Jake is correct, if it's not happening in dryfire. A smaller mag release would possibly help, but i much prefer extended mag releases. I shoot sigs mostly though

Daniel K

It's not easy to accidentally release the mag of an SP-01 with a factory weight mag catch spring. Follow the advice above and work on getting a consistent grip.

If you have absolutely monster hands and there's just no way around it, you may file down the mag release so it doesn't stick out as far (just make sure you don't go too far and can't release the magazine intentionally or go all the way through parts of the metal). After filing, I would recommend sanding and one of the appropriate bluing solutions so it doesn't stand out that you modified it. There are other ways to make it more difficult, but they aren't nearly as varied as a 2011 with a fat mag release button screwed on and a competition mag release spring.

Edited by Whoops!

Depends on when it happens. I recently had a series of mag release surprises with my CZ75 Shadow custom. Some folks thought I was pushing it with my grip sometimes.

I shot a steel match and it happened much more often than in a USPSA match. What the hell! Finally figured it out. I am using a Comptac holster. The part of the holster that sits over the mag release was pushing the release when I holstered at a certain angle (when the muzzle was pointed more back than other times). The mag was partially released but stayed in the gun. The first shot was ok but after that the mag was loose enough to cause a failure to feed.

Ground off the offending part of the holster and problem disappeared.

Had the same issue on a CZ 75 LS, replaced the release spring with a new one and that fixed the problem, while I was at it I did the tweak that prevents you from pushing the mag release too far and causing a mag to stick (slight inward bend on 1 leg of the release spring). 100% success so far. The original spring was noticeably weak compared to my other cz 75 before I replaced it.

Have also seen holsters that allow you to bump an extended mag release as noted above.

If you grind a mag release I think that may put you in a bad spot with USPSA Production and IDPA SSP rules. This would worry me if I went to higher level matches where guns are inspected. You can just install a standard length cz 75 mag release though (I have one that was never installed, if you want it at 75% what I payed , pm me).

At the NRA annual this year I watched Max Michell's draw and reload demonstration. He said that says he uses standard length mag releases because he would rather tilt the gun slightly more to hit the release than to accidentally drop a mag at the wrong time.

I think that everybody gets a less than perfect grip now and then, even the professionals.

It happened once or twice during dry fire. Usually it only occurs when Iam realy tensed. But I can´t reproduce it intentionally.

If you grind a mag release I think that may put you in a bad spot with USPSA Production and IDPA SSP rules. This would worry me if I went to higher level matches where guns are inspected. You can just install a standard length cz 75 mag release though (I have one that was never installed, if you want it at 75% what I payed , pm me).

At the NRA annual this year I watched Max Michell's draw and reload demonstration. He said that says he uses standard length mag releases because he would rather tilt the gun slightly more to hit the release than to accidentally drop a mag at the wrong time.

Does the original mag release fit in the shadow frame? If so, I replace the shadow extended mag release. Unfortunately Iam living in germany...so thank you for your offer...but I don´t think, that it will be a good deal for both of us. :-D

I have very short fingers - but I also don´t see the need of a extended mag release.

It happened once or twice during dry fire. Usually it only occurs when Iam realy tensed. But I can´t reproduce it intentionally.

Does the original mag release fit in the shadow frame? If so, I replace the shadow extended mag release. Unfortunately Iam living in germany...so thank you for your offer...but I don´t think, that it will be a good deal for both of us. :-D

I have very short fingers - but I also don´t see the need of a extended mag release.

"Does the original mag release fit in the shadow frame?"

I think the answer is yes, but, I don't have a shadow in front of me. Somebody here will know for sure.

Are you shooting in Production? If so, remember that rules state that you can change then length of the mag release, but you can't alter the profile.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the holster problem and filing it down solved my issue. I have fat hands and there is no way around it on my cz sp01 shadow, I would always hit the mag release. I bought a standard length mag release and thousands of rounds later I haven't had a single issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Was at a match sunday and a guy with a new to him gun found out the prior owner lightened the mag release force....a lot. He was activating it on the draw and the mag would hit the ground as the gun settled on target. We were amused...him, not so much.

• 5 months later...

Glad somebody else raised this subject. I'm a lefty and shoot a CZ75 TS. So far so good! But when I started shooting a CzechMate with its greater undercut behind the trigger guard (like the TS Orange series), I started to drop magazines in live fire because the magazine release is close to the third digit of my strong hand. Had the same problem with the Shadow from time to time. Filing off about 1 mm worth of mag release remedied this for me.