Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Dremel tools for cutting a hammer

pdxrealtor

Hi - first post here. I've been lurking a bit and have found some really useful information.

I'm looking to cut my L-frame MIM hammer. I currently have some of the black Dremel cut off wheels which worked OK when I did my last hammer spur (simple cutting down the spur size, didn't completely bob it.).

However on my current project I am going to get a bit more intricate. At the least the wheels I have are too large to cut a couple places I'm looking at cutting.

I read of guys using diamond bits. There are also Dremel diamond wheels.

Can anyone share what would be the best approach here?

Any of the carbide bits will work, I have also used the green stone bit with good success. It's easier to use a bench grinder out belt sander if you have one, just watch your heat. Don't take too much off at a time.

Thanks. Not sure why I wasn't seeing those, but all I kept coming up with were diamond bits and others, but no carbides. Operator error I'm sure.

I'll be doing something similar to the last picture in post #4. However, I want a stubby left on the back for a spur. I like single action sometimes.

Edited by pdxrealtor

I used the cutoff wheel to take off the spur and then the orange grinding wheel to smooth it flush to the frame. I will eventually use it as an IDPA gun so it didn't get the full chop. That method worked well for me, if you have the rubberized abrasives they seem to work best at polishing and smoothing surfaces when you have the dimensions you are looking for.

Buy an Apex for $150 or so ... (checking again) ... have seen them for $138-142 ish.

When you are tired of it I will buy it from you for $100 ... and/or should be no problem moving it. That is likely less than it would cost to buy a new factory hammer to cut and leave the original un-molested (for single action or whatever). :cheers:

edit: but ... really like your bobbed arrangement photos ... (post #14) ... (did not realize you wanted to keep SA at the same time ... my bad ...).

Edited by pete627

Cutting the weight of the hammer ("Carmonizing" it) will only make a small, incremental difference in performance for DA shooting. If you want to thumb-cock it, you might as well leave the hammer alone. Safer and easier. When you reach the point where you no longer have any need or desire for SA mode, then cut it all the way!

That's my advice, anyway...

I want the lighter da pull, with the ability to shoot it sa sometimes.

I'm already maxed with clipped 11lb rebound Springs, light fp Springs, action work etc..... Getting the hammer to drop faster is the only thin left for me to get a light da pull via the main spring.

I purchased a small diameter diamond cut off wheel from Harbor freight, there were three in a package for less than 15.00, they work great and create less heat then a standard cut off wheel. If you want the option to cock the hammer you could thin and shorten the hammer spur, it will reduce the weight a bit for quicker hammer fall.

I purchased a small diameter diamond cut off wheel from Harbor freight, there were three in a package for less than 15.00, they work great and create less heat then a standard cut off wheel. If you want the option to cock the hammer you could thin and shorten the hammer spur, it will reduce the weight a bit for quicker hammer fall.

I did just that on my 386 nightguard.

I always use genuine dremel fiber cut-off wheel, sanding drum, and cratex polishing tip, in that order, when chopping hammers.

The fiber cut off wheel is what I used on my 386 NG pictured. Followed by a high grit sanding belt on a rubber drum, then a 3 stage past polish. I'm happy with the way the fiber wheel cuts, but I haven't seen any that are small enough to cut some of the areas I want to cut on the hammer.

I'd really like to use my drill press and drill out the hammer, then fine tune it a bit from that point, but I was told I'd need carbide tooling.

post-64432-0-95092800-1469800824_thumb.jpost-64432-0-33856700-1469800802_thumb.j

Carbide drills don't cost that much. The best ones for this job are the ones with 2 straight flutes. You can order them from any industrial supply house that carries machine shop tooling. They come in a wide variety of sizes. They can be used on a regular drill press. Two places that have them are - mscdirect.com and www.mcmaster.com. A 1/4" one is $30 - $35.

Edited by Toolguy

Carbide drills don't cost that much. The best ones for this job are the ones with 2 straight flutes. You can order them from any industrial supply house that carries machine shop tooling. They come in a wide variety of sizes. They can be used on a regular drill press. Two places that have them are - mscdirect.com and www.mcmaster.com. A 1/4" one is $30 - $35.

Thanks I will take a look. If anything I need a good excuse to go pick up my drill press and set it up where I live.

This is what a couple years of Carmonizing hammers leaves behind.

Funny..... there's gotta be something creative you can do with those!?!!

Have done a few and found using a Bench Grinder in conjunction with constant dipping in cool water. Worked best to remove the bulk of the unwanted material.

Not keeping it cool while cutting (Dremel or not) will destroy the Hammer's darkness / metallurgical properties.

After grinding I would use a good quality Fine Cut Cross File followed by final finishing with a fine grade Emory Paper / polish.

Ron