Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun

Dates for 2017 match have been set. ROs and staff will shoot on March 22-23, 2017 and the main match is March 24-26, 2017.

Thanks for the update. Do you have any idea when the Desert Classic will be?

Dates for 2017 match have been set. ROs and staff will shoot on March 22-23, 2017 and the main match is March 24-26, 2017.

Thanks for the update. Do you have any idea when the Desert Classic will be?

Sorry, I'm not on the crew for that one.

I did forget to put the SMM3-Gun website link in though. http://smm3gun.com

ld

• 2 months later...

The Match director has just communicated to the staff that the Squad Schedule will be the same as last year.

Some folks refer to this as the all day format. Below is the schedule from last year for reference purposes only. It is expected that the 2017 match will follow a very similar format however the exact schedule has yet to be completed.

• Friday:
    • Squads 1-11 start at 06:50 and finish at 17:50 (this squad group will shoot 5 stages)
    • Squads 12-22 start at 08:00 and finish at 16:40 (this squad group will shoot 4 stages)
  • Saturday
    • Squads 12-22 start at 06:50 and finish at 17:50 (this squad group will shoot 5 stages)
    • Squads 1-11 start at 08:00 and finish at 16:40 (this squad group will shoot 4 stages)
  • Sunday:
    • Squads 1-11 start at 06:50 and finish at 10:20 (this squad group will shoot 2 stages)
    • Squads 12-22 start at 08:00 and finish at 11:30 (this squad group will shoot 2 stages)

Hope this helps with your plans to attend the match.

• 2 months later...

I need to back out of the SMM3G match because of scheduling issues at work and just saw I only get 60% of my $325.00 match fee back... that seems excessively punitive for a sold out match with a wait list... Looks like transferring is out also... copy and paste from their website:

As always, registration spots are not transferable and the refund policy will be strictly enforced.
Refund requests received prior to:
November 15th 80%

December 1st 70%
January 1st 60%
February 1st 50%
No refunds will be processed after Feb.1st 2017

In their defense, this was clearly stated at the time of registration but no one thinks they will cancel when they are registering.  I really feel like this is bad policy for a sold out match... 

5 minutes ago, Paul-the new guy said:

I need to back out of the SMM3G match because of scheduling issues at work and just saw I only get 60% of my $325.00 match fee back... that seems excessively punitive for a sold out match with a wait list... Looks like transferring is out also... copy and paste from their website:

As always, registration spots are not transferable and the refund policy will be strictly enforced.
Refund requests received prior to:
November 15th 80%

December 1st 70%
January 1st 60%
February 1st 50%
No refunds will be processed after Feb.1st 2017

In their defense, this was clearly stated at the time of registration but no one thinks they will cancel when they are registering.  I really feel like this is bad policy for a sold out match... 

60%?  Heck, the MG nationals you only get back 50%.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the policies of of this and many other long standing matches have evolved over time mostly because of some folks are just not that considerate.

There are a large amount of folks that sign up for the match and never pay nor return calls or emails. We go out of our way to ensure that no one accidentally missed the payment deadline. Yet they do not extend us the courtesy of a returned phone call or an email.

Then there are those that do sign up and complete the process, but for whatever reason end up not being able to make it to the match. I can completely understand the sick felling of not only having to miss out doing something that you had planned, but in addition having to loose out on money due to some unforeseen circumstance.

However, It is not fair to the folks that want to commit to the match to not be able to come because they do not have ample time to make plans since someone was holding a slot that they really had no intention to use. That is exactly what used to happen when there was no cancelation policy. Spots in the match would go to waste as folks could not make last minute plans to attend.

This is not the intention of most folks, however it does have a direct effect on those that are on the waitlist. Recently, we have had several folks have to drop from the waitlist since there is no longer sufficient time for them to make reasonable travel plans or commit to getting the time off of work.

Since putting the larger cancelation fees in place, we have seen significantly less cancelations take place. Sorry that to some, our policies seem unfair. We constantly reevaluate our policies in an attempt to ensure that we are getting the results needed without adding any undue burden to the shooters.

There needs to be some cost associated with the value received for shooters holding a reserved spot in a sold out match. In addition while minimal, there is time and costs associated with both processing a registration and processing a refund.

We are doing our best to allow as many shooters as feasible into the match, while keeping the costs as low as possible. In all honesty, the policy that we have in place really appears to work from a match management perspective. So far there have been very few cancelations. I hate to be the bad guy having to enforce the policies but for now, there appears to be no better way.

• 4 weeks later...

Long time SMM3G Sponsor, Brownell's, is giving away two spots to SMM3G 2017. Simply go to Brownell's Facebook page and find the SMM3G announcement and put "I'M IN" under the comments section. Winners will be selected via random draw by Brownell's on January 30. This is a drawing for Match entry only. Winners will have to provide their own transportation, accommodation and equipment for the match.

If you weren't able to get into SMM3G, here is another opportunity for 2 people.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool... for next year can you guys put back the 170MM (171.25MM) rule for single stack pistol magazines for Limited and Tac Optics?

I'm not sure why it was taken out in the first place.  

Next year the state right next to AZ goes to full stupid.  Being able to use 10 round 45 mags gives us options.  I don't see any impact on anybody else.

Thanks for the consideration.

• 1 month later...

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun Updates

These are being email directly to you at the email that you provided at registerion. If you are not receiving updates, please check your junk email settings. Email is our primary source of Direct communication to our shooters. We are trying our best to help you stay informed.

EXPECTED ROUND COUNTS  

- 161 rifle

- 102 pistol

- 101 shotgun birdshot (#6 or smaller)

- 12 shotgun buckshot (see rule 3.3.2 for requirements)

- 6 shotgun slugs

Round counts are bare minimum and assumes no misses or re-shoots (if necessary).

-Round counts may vary slightly, since stages have not been built.

-Bring extra ammunition!

No steel projectiles - we will be using magnets to check your ammunition.

- Steel projectiles will result in match DQ.

- Section 3 of the rules prohibit any ammunition with steel-containing projectiles (e.g. steel birdshot, military “green-tip” M855 rifle ammo etc.).

- If your ammo’s projectiles attract a magnet, please leave it at home!

Rifle slings will not be required.

This year we will be presenting some long-range shots, with rifle targets out to approximately 500 yards.

In keeping with our long-standing tradition of “mystery” at our match, we do not release stage descriptions prior to the match.

This year, we will return to our "normal" walk thru policy; as you arrive at the match and complete registration, you will be provided a match book containing stage descriptions. You may walk stages according to the “walk-through” policy, posted in your matchbook.

Open squadding will be wrapping up this weekend. Anyone not self-squadded by end of day Sunday, will be assigned a squad.

That’s all for this week’s update, more to follow.

Thank you,  SMM 3-GUN STAFF

Please review the SMM3G rules prior to attending our match. In the sport of Multi-Gun/3-Gun, there is not one standard, or widely adopted set of rules; they are often different from location to location. 

To help avoid problems, we will be offering a courtesy division-compliance / equipment check during registration. This should help eliminate unpleasant surprises that could occur during the match.

For those that are registered in the Heavy Metal or Stealth division, you will be sent an “equipment options” declaration. We understand that you may change your mind regarding equipment, prior to the match, but hopefully, this will help your decision process.

Almost every year, someone is caught using steel-core “penetrator” ammo and is sent home early. Steel projectiles are not allowed at Rio Salado as they destroy our targets and create fire hazards. Please take the time to check your ammunition, not all steel core ammo has a green tip.

Our safe-abandonment policy differs from other matches, please take the time to review this very important section of our rules. We would love it if this year, no one was sent home early due to unsafe abandonment. Please do your part by reading our rules and ask for help if you don’t fully understand our rules.

For 2017, SMM3G will be hosting a “Courtesy Equipment Check Station” during registration on 22 March for staff match-competitors and on 23 March for match-competitors. An Event Official will be present with the applicable gauges, boxes and magnets that will be used to verify equipment and ammunition compliance during the event.

The Courtesy Equipment Check Station provides you the opportunity to confirm equipment complies with your declared division, BEFORE the start of the match.  If non-compliance is identified during the courtesy check, competitors will have the opportunity to correct issue(s) or change declared division.  AFTER the match has started, equipment and ammunition violations are subject to penalties specified in Rule 5.1.2.

Hoping that these update are helpful - Smm3gun Staff

2017 IMA-SMM3G-Rules.pdf

SMM3G DIVISION QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Another one in the books.  Still popping Aleve like Pez candy, but it's worth it.

Thank you to all the sponsors who participated, especially our Headliner, POF.  Their new .308 (Revolution), on a .223 body is a blast to shoot.  

Our thanks to all the competitors as well.  Every squad was hard working and seemed to really enjoy the match.

See you next year,

Stage 10 RO's.