Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sportear 360

ShadoFann

Does anyone have any experience with these? There is an article about them in the most recent Front Sight. The manufacturer claims them to be medical grade hearing aids and advanced technology hearing protection. I have a pair on order and I'm really hoping they are everything they are advertised to be.

If they are programmable custom fitted medical grade hearing aids, that's pretty reasonable. I just lost a pair that I paid over $3000 for 3 years ago. I'm being told that these are designed to be full time hearing aids on top of being advanced Technology hearing protection.

2 of my boys bought Sportears about 5 years ago. Not sure if the model but were $1,500 at the time. They love them. The 360 sounds like a higher end version.

I believe they were a hearing aid manufacturer before they got into the hearing protection business.

I haven't seen any of the electronic in-ear hearing protection that wouldn't be a little bulky, as opposed to the smaller units that hearing aid specific. I suppose it would work though.

I have a set of ESP's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had my money refunded on a pair of sportears. I received them around Christmas time I had them back in the shop several times. Once because the programming was messed up, then they fell apart,the electronics stopped working and then they fell apart again. I returned them in June. I expected more for the 1700.00 they cost me.

Armydad, how do you like your ESPs? Which model? I'm kinda/sorta/loosely/barely contemplating buying a pair. But realistically, I'm totally fine with my current system (a set of disposable foamies and a pair of HL Impact muffs on top). I'm not sure I could justify spending $1k-$2k on ear plugs unless I was a professional shooter on the range 20+ hours per week.

I have their top-of-the-line Extremes .... and while they are pricey ($3,995) it's almost impossible to describe how good they are .... I also have medical hearing aids & my SportEars are actually superior .... they are programmed to your specific audio graph from an ENT as well as use custom ear molds you have an audiologist do. They have 4 different programs; 3 sound enhancement and one sound suppression.

To show you how good they are, the first time i used them at the range I had put them in, switched to the sound suppression program and was loading mags waiting for it to be 8am so I could start shooting. While waiting I started to hear this high pitched buzzing noise from my left. At first I thought there was something funky going on with my left one but while looking around I noticed a small bee flying around about 10' from me .... I'm not kidding, I was hearing that bee flying around! It was simply amazing ....

These things are quite a bit better than medical hearing aids, their sound enhancement modes let you pick up the slightest sounds around you.

Yep, they're a little pricey but if you can swing it you'll be glad you did. And their customer service is 2nd to none. When I first got them the sound supression program needed to be tweaked a bit as did one of the them for fit. They handled everything expertly & quickly without issue ....

Edited by Nimitz

That's quite a testimonial. I don't know how I could justify that expense to the wife. I'm not even sure I could justify it to myself, but it sounds like if you've got the money, it's worth it. Also, Nimitz - my dad grew up in Indialantic. I don't really meet too many folks from there. Are you there since childhood or a more recent transplant?

• 7 months later...
On 7/31/2016 at 9:19 AM, Nimitz said:

I have their top-of-the-line Extremes .... and while they are pricey ($3,995) it's almost impossible to describe how good they are .... I also have medical hearing aids & my SportEars are actually superior .... they are programmed to your specific audio graph from an ENT as well as use custom ear molds you have an audiologist do. They have 4 different programs; 3 sound enhancement and one sound suppression.

To show you how good they are, the first time i used them at the range I had put them in, switched to the sound suppression program and was loading mags waiting for it to be 8am so I could start shooting. While waiting I started to hear this high pitched buzzing noise from my left. At first I thought there was something funky going on with my left one but while looking around I noticed a small bee flying around about 10' from me .... I'm not kidding, I was hearing that bee flying around! It was simply amazing ....

These things are quite a bit better than medical hearing aids, their sound enhancement modes let you pick up the slightest sounds around you.

Yep, they're a little pricey but if you can swing it you'll be glad you did. And their customer service is 2nd to none. When I first got them the sound supression program needed to be tweaked a bit as did one of the them for fit. They handled everything expertly & quickly without issue ....

Do you have a link?

I am looking at the ESP Dynamic, but not sure how to determine what the best ones are.

Thanks

On 7/26/2016 at 5:06 PM, ShadoFann said:

Does anyone have any experience with these? There is an article about them in the most recent Front Sight. The manufacturer claims them to be medical grade hearing aids and advanced technology hearing protection. I have a pair on order and I'm really hoping they are everything they are advertised to be.

I have had them for almost a year now and been very happy with them. Now, they do negotiate on pricing (I paid quite a bit less than web price), and they will refund the cost of the hearing test and molds.

After getting the run around for 3 months I cancelled my order. There are plenty of other options available at substantially less. Checking with your local Audiologist is one option. Plus they can see if your insurance will cover them.

• 1 month later...

I just got a pair of these for the area 6 match.  I also worked the match so I had them in for 10-12 hours over four days.  They worked great.  They were so comfortable I could barely tell I had them in.  They also work great in the workshop.  I keep them with me all the time.  They are not cheap but if I had had them 30 years ago I know my hearing would be better now.  They are well worth the money and the customer service has been great for me.