Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New mount, need to trim Mount Screws...best method?

accu9

Did a search, I could not find anything in specific. I'm installing a new mount today (Limcat RTS2), what is the simplest and/or SAFEST method to trim the optic mount screws so they are flush inside the frame?

I'm leaning towards snuggling up the mount, marking the long screws then trimming with a Dremel and repeating. I'm extremely worried about keeping the screws flat as I don't want to cross thread the frame. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by accu9

I've used a buddy's belt sander and that worked really well. It was also very fast.

Absent that, I've also used a dremel with a grinder attachment. I just "eye-balled" the screws to keep them evenly flat. Cross threading hasn't been an issue for me.

Good luck!

I use a 1/4" thick piece of steel with a hole I tapped/threaded for the screws. I thread the screws into the steel and cut them off a bit long with a dremel cutoff wheel. Then I finish them up to length with a file so they're nice and flat on the end.

I use a 1/4" thick piece of steel with a hole I tapped/threaded for the screws. I thread the screws into the steel and cut them off a bit long with a dremel cutoff wheel. Then I finish them up to length with a file so they're nice and flat on the end.

+1 makes it real easy.

Thread a nut on to the length I want. Hold the nut with needle nose pliers, put a wrench in the socket head to keep it from turning, and then hit it on a belt sander. Alternate method is thread a nut all the way on, hold that with pliers, hit the end with a sanding drum on a dremel, and keep measuring. Clean up the end with a file when done.

That is close to what I do too. When I file the end, I make sure the screws are almost flush with the surface of that metal piece, this way the end will be perfectly square.

That is close to what I do too. When I file the end, I make sure the screws are almost flush with the surface of that metal piece, this way the end will be perfectly square.

Yep, it's definitely the way to go if you will need to trim more than one or two.

de1yz6.jpg

Ace Hardware is now selling "gun screws" and they also have a pre-drilled steel plate that has 6-40, 6-48, and 8-40 holes. It's about 3 or 4 inches long, less than $2, and you can use it to hold the screws as you trim. When you back the screw out, it helps clean up the threads.

Ace Hardware is now selling "gun screws" and they also have a pre-drilled steel plate that has 6-40, 6-48, and 8-40 holes. It's about 3 or 4 inches long, less than $2, and you can use it to hold the screws as you trim. When you back the screw out, it helps clean up the threads.

I get my screws from there, they have a good selection.

Some electricians wire strippers have different sizes of thread cutters in the handle. Thread in the correct distance, squeeze handle, and cut screw. Then when you back the screw out, it cleans up the threads. I am sure depending on the hardness of the screw, it may not work though.

• 9 months later...

Brazos RTS2 mount...  Screws were long, so I held each one up to the fine wheel on my grinder...  Checked to see if it was short enough in the gun...  Didn't have trouble with the threads, but most of the other methods noted here seem better/safer than just grinding them off...

I like the Brazos screws because they are Torx head...  Can tighten them down without stripping the small allen wrench usually used...

I thread then into the gun with the mount and see how much needs to come off.  I do a roughb guess of the count of threads hanging out.  Then using a SUPER thin cutoff wheel, I trim them between threads.  Note, take the screws out of the gun first!

• 3 weeks later...

what is the most popular thread of the screws? considering redrilling for a smidge larger if I can get torx heads. 

I fixed some stuff on a friends gun, had the tony mount, seemed liked M4, was supersolid, and finethread, torx heads, but small enough even for fitting to the SVI mounts (replaceing mounts on it)

Really appreciate the tips. on my current 2 guns I used (now both broken) the mount was put on once.. and never fell off.. so ironicly not so used to THIS aspec of workin on guns. also used to wide frames, so lots of space to thread on.. now I have 3 thin frames with misc threads.. yay 

I have one frame here I have issues with,  I have some what I guess is 6-40, they came with the new SVI rts2 mounts, the thread area measure 3.40mm

Im guessing this is 5-40 as its so close, but no cigar