Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm loads for the short chamber guys?

ShortBus

Update on the frustration. Unfortunately for me, Beven is having his reamer sharpened so I can't get my new barrels chamber corrected to allow a larger OAL. Im sure it will be worth the wait once it is doable but I REALLY wanted to play around with my open build.

I tried 10 rounds at 1.10 AOL 6.4 WAC under a MG 124 HP bullet. All shot fine, grouped well, no crazy pressure signs or impulses.

Moved on to the same load with 6.9 WAC, everything else the same. 6th round in things got exciting. Case head separation that blew the mag out of the bottom of the pistol, provided some fireworks but no other damage. Tossed the rest of the rounds and decided I just need to wait to have the barrel reamed and learn to not be so eager.

I have a Fastfire 3 on the way so I can play with that for a while until I can get the barrel done.

Update on the frustration. Unfortunately for me, Beven is having his reamer sharpened so I can't get my new barrels chamber corrected to allow a larger OAL. Im sure it will be worth the wait once it is doable but I REALLY wanted to play around with my open build.

I tried 10 rounds at 1.10 AOL 6.4 WAC under a MG 124 HP bullet. All shot fine, grouped well, no crazy pressure signs or impulses.

Moved on to the same load with 6.9 WAC, everything else the same. 6th round in things got exciting. Case head separation that blew the mag out of the bottom of the pistol, provided some fireworks but no other damage. Tossed the rest of the rounds and decided I just need to wait to have the barrel reamed and learn to not be so eager.

I have a Fastfire 3 on the way so I can play with that for a while until I can get the barrel done.

Lone wolf will ream it, you'll need to send several dummy rounds.

That was the next setting on my powder drop (lee). Also, it was just below a commonly recommended load of 7-7.2 of WAC. I did not see any pressure signs on the 6.4 load at the same length. I did not chrono it nor will I be loading it again until I can get the barrel reamed and the AOL longer.

I also put in a new order for some coated bayou 125gr round nose that I can load out to 1.14 with my current barrels due to bullet profile. Im still not going over 6.4 until I get the new barrel reamed.

Another update.  I loaded some 125 bayuo coated bullets out to 1.49-1.5 and all plunk tested fine.  I loaded them on top of 6.4 WAC and they functioned great.  The problem is that the load is not accurate at all.  The gun was shooting tight with the MG HPs.  Im still going to get the barrel reamed when Beven is back up and running but I wanted to play around with some major loads while I waited if I could do it safely.  I might bump up to 6.9 WAC now that I can get a reasonable OAL with this bullet.  

Im still wrapping my head around the "more gas, less jump" concept and practice.

I loaded a few rounds of the 125 coated to 1.15 over 6,9 WAC and that seems to be the ticket for now.  No pressure signs, accurate and I don't lose the dot on my fastfire.  Im still getting the barrel reamed but I can practice with this for a while.  Thanks for the help.

On 8/15/2016 at 7:50 AM, LilTMoney said:

Has anyone tried CFE for Short major loads? If so about what range of powder for PF? 

I've used the same charges for CFE and WAC with similar results although both are on the fast end of 9 major powders so I'd recommend something slower like HS6 for short loads, I'd also recommend 115s if you're shooting USPSA (112gr is the lightest bullet allowed for major in USPSA, but in IPSC it's 120gr).  As a generalization the faster the powder, the higher the pressure; the heavier the bullet, the higher the pressure, the shorter the OAL, the higher the pressure.

• 4 weeks later...