Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips on loading Bayou 180

twobrat

I normally shoot Berry's plated and thought I would give the Bayou's a go. As far as accuracy and smoke (titegroup), they are fine (although far far more smoke than the plated). I was having issues with the coating getting scraped off when seating them. Is any scraping unacceptable, or is minor scraping okay. I have these belled to what i think is pretty far, but maybe I need to go even farther? I'm very new to coated bullets so after about 100 rounds I'm seeing what i think is a pretty good amount of leading. Is this due to the coating scraping off, or is that unavoidable?

If it matters, gun is m&p pro and they are loaded to uspsa major.

You could try to flare the case a little more and see if it solves the problem of scraping the coating off the bullets when seating bullets. I use Black Bullets International and never have issue with scraping the coating when seating the bullet. I load on a Dillon Super 1050 with a Mr Bullet Feeder. The Mr Bullet Feeder podwer funnel die flares the case differently then the other powder funnels I have used. Might be worth the money to buy the Mr Bullet Feeder podwer funnel die.

You need to flare the case more, you don't want to break the coating at all. If you are scraping off the coating that will increase the amount of smoke. Coated bullets are all I shoot in my limited guns and they work very well. Bayous are some of the best on the market, very consistent and accurate. Also when you crimp you just want enough to remove the flare, pull a bullet and look at it there should barely be a mark from the case mouth.

Yea jcc7x7 that's what I was afraid of. I feel like i'm giving it an extreme amount of bell, but I will try more. My seating / crimping die is set perfect, just removes the bell and no crimp. I have had flawless cycling.