Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun targets for practice

My local club does not allow clay targets to be used on their pistol bays due to the mess that they create. I need to figure out targets that are quick to set-up, and can be used for shotgun practice. Specifically, I need to put some time on shooting and moving, and target transitions, so I need to setup 4-8 targets at a minimum.

I've seen several types of steel knock-over targets (either hinged or non-hinged), but they seem time consuming to set up when I have limited time at the range.

Can anyone suggest what they would use in these kinds of situations? Thanks.

I use the MGM auto poppers most of the time when I practice. Just set them on the ground and they pop right back up when you hit them. Also have some angle iron targets, they're really cheap to make but require reset.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying to minimize the amount of time I'm spending with a hammer pounding targets into the ground. I dig the idea of Auto Poppers.

I have seen at least one person post pictures of short (12-18") sections of tubing that they used as targets, but I can't remember where I originally saw it (Doodie Project?). Anyone else seen this?

Shepherd hooks from the gardening department at Lowes or Home Depot and steel plates with a single hole near the top.

Easy set up and tear down. Not a lot of weight to carry.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-64-in-Black-Forged-Shepherd-Hook-844525VG/205347006

Edited by Flatland Shooter

A plate rack is great if you can swing it. I have been playing with a sawhorse type setup but made of steel tubing as a target stand. Would mimic 3 plates on a rack not require much nails, but still needs the shooter to reset. Problem I have is it isn't sturdy enough and one hit can take off multiple targets. Auto poppers can be ok, but the few times I have used targets like that or shepherd hooks I wasn't sure if I got all my hits. The practice partner was always quick to say he got his. I wasn't so sure.

• 6 months later...

I always use MGM auto poppers most of the time, when I practice shooting at home. I just set them on the ground to fix so that it may not move while I shoot. Every shooter has their favorite targets. This often, reflects on the shooter interest. So try this one.

Gunfighter targets sponsors alot of the matches here in MN and a bunch around the country, I have a bunch of their 4x4 flip targets that I use for both shotgun and pistol.

Edited by 12Bravo

On 7/22/2016 at 2:59 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Shepherd hooks from the gardening department at Lowes or Home Depot and steel plates with a single hole near the top.

Easy set up and tear down. Not a lot of weight to carry.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-64-in-Black-Forged-Shepherd-Hook-844525VG/205347006

I like these targets.......use them allot. BUT......another big thumbs up for gunfighter targets. I have a bunch of the 4" targets he sells....only mine are spring loaded which I really like as I hate going down range to reset when I am practicing. Well, not that I practice, rather, coaching my son when he practices.

TIm

Edited by TRUBL

On 7/21/2016 at 6:00 AM, Mark R said:

Tooth and Nail Armory has knockover steel plates for $27 each...add $7 for AR500. We use the AR500 ones for pistol and shotgun and they work great.Get the 6x6 and they are legal for USPSA, 3-gun, and practice.

http://www.toothandnailarmory.com/product/TN566.html

These are the ones that I use as well. I use the 5"x5" for pistol and shotgun..Only takes a couple of minutes to pound into the ground.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...