Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 22 LR Revolver?

Looking for a DA revolver in .22 LR. I want it partially as a revo trainer. Kit gun. Also want to be able to scope it and use it for "survival" purposes.

Local gunstore has in stock:

Ruger GP100 5.5"

Ruger SP101 4"

S&W 617 6"

Knowing that I want to be able to put a scope on it, which revolver would you recommend I get? Just looking at what Midway sells, the SP101 doesn't appear to have any readily available non gunsmith mounting options. I'm not seeing one for the 617 either.

Thanks.

I have a 617 10 shot and love it, if the S&W is a late model it should already be drilled and tapped for an optic mount, there should be three holes in the top strap under the rear sight. They can be seen by opening the cylinder and looking at the bottom of the top strap. Several manufacturers offer mounts. While my gun is a Six inch if I were to do it again I would opt for the 4", easier to carry and just as accurate as the 6.

I have 3. Responds to trigger work as it's big brothers (but you can't go as light).

Same parts as other S&W revolvers. Screws and springs.

I have one with a scope and one hot rodded with a custom barrel.

I now need to find cheap 22 ammo. (5-6 cents / round)

Do you have a big revolver? If you want the .22 to practice for the bigger one, get the same brand.

I like my .357 GP100, so would get that in .22 for a practice gun. The SP101 would obviously be easier to carry - but scope mounting might be a custom job???

I'd love to get a 10 shot 617 4" gun for steel challenge and general goofing around.

I've handled (but not shot) both the 6" and 4" and to me the 4" feels much better in the hand and I think it would make a better steel challenge gun.

Which is cheaper? Feels best? Ruger's are usually reliable and sturdy, but there's a lot of aftermarket parts for the smith.

+1 I'm a Ruger fanboy, but there's a lot more aftermarket support for S&W. So I like both. Between the Rugers I'd pick a GP over the SP for your purposes.

I love my 6" 617 I like the feel of a heavier gun and I like the longer sight radius too

Also there is a lot of options for the 617 10mmdave here on enos makes a sweet sight mount amungst other things

I have the SP101-22 and I wouldn't recommend it. It's possible I got a poor one, but the trigger is heavy and gritty. Really heavy, possibly 15-18lbs. Kind of ridiculous for such a small revolver. I love the size and scale, but I haven't figured the trigger out yet.

I'm really hoping to try a 617 soon!

Edited by Seancass

All SPs I've shot had very heavy triggers, it seems to be the norm. The GP has more mechanical advantage in the design so it can be run significantly lighter. My 625 and GPs have about the same DA weight for reference. I'd probably still opt for a 617 between the two.

I have a couple 6" 617s and a 4" 617 along with a 6" 17-8 (I think -8, it's a 10 shot 17) and wife has a 6" 617 so I'd say get a 10 shot 617. I also have a 8 shot 3" 315.

I also prefer the 617's, I like the 4" best for up close speed shooting and the 6" for farther targets.

I had the SP101 8 shot but the grip/frame was too small for me and the trigger pull too hard.

A friend bought the new Ruger GP100 10 shot and after some fine tuning I would say it is a very good option for steel competition.

Here are some of my .22's.

Top = S&W Model 617 (no dash) 6" 6 shot (stock)
Middle = S&W Model 617 (-2) 6" 10 shot (w/LPA rear sight and Hogue grips)
Bottom = S&W Model 617 (-6) 4" 10 shot (w/Burris FF3 and Allchin mount)

Note: The LPA sight needed to be milled under the black part of sight to get it sighted in. I didn't want to install a taller front sight.

big22s_small_zpsbt7lto57.jpg

The 63 fits my hand better than the SP101 did, nice revolver, easy to tune like all S&W's.

The LCR is a nice fit out the box (I really like the grip), lightweight and a nice trigger.

Top = S&W Model 63 3" 8 shot (stock)

Middle = NAA ported Mini Magnum (w/LaserLyte grips)
Bottom = Ruger LCR 8 shot (stock)

small22s_zpshx4drhyl.jpg

Edited by DS-10-SPEED

I have the S&W 63 3-inch as well. Very nice shooter. I use it for training first time shooters. The LCR 22 seems to have a heavier trigger pull, but I enjoy shooting it too. The 617 is on my wish list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended picking up a 4" 617 (new recent manufacture).

I want to get speed loaders for it.  Which ones should I get/look for?

It shoots high for me and need and a taller front sight.  Dawson has these two sights.  Which style would fit my 617?

https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-dx-classic-fiber-optic-front-sights/

https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-pinned-fiber-optic-front-sights/

Also I want to get a trigger "spring kit".  I'm not having any luck with "617" searches at Midway.  Which revolver model(s) use the same trigger springs?

Thanks.

Order a set of Wolf springs, get and 11 lb rebound spring and polish the interior of the 617.  I was able to get my trigger down to 8 lbs.  I did not bob the hammer. My trigger is reliable with CCI, Federal AutoMatch, Aguilla and a few other brands of ammo.

Good luck.

All the smith revolver use the same springs, K,L and N frame. I, along with a few others, have had excellent luck with a Bang inc mainspring and Wolff 11lb rebound spring. Leaving in the factory hammer and firing pin and cleaning up the internals usually makes a decent little shooter. 

I fon't think there are all that many options for speedloaders for 617. HKS and Speed Beez? HKS works but isn't all that fast because you have to turn the knob and wait for gravity to get the cartridges in. So I'd try something different. If you can find Safariland Comp II or III for 617 ...

What is the difference between those front sights? Available in different sizes and shapes? I'd take a ramped one (not Partridge) because it is less likely to get snagged on anything. Size? Measure the one you have and estimate what would work best for you.