Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about first match

JFoley001

Hello all, about to pull the trigger on a USPSA annual membership, and it looks like the first match I'll be able to attend is the area 8 district championship in PA. As an unclassified shooter in the limited division shooting major pf, would I be able to just show up and shoot? Would it be a bad idea? Anything else I should consider before signing up? Thanks in advance!

looks like it's full except for thursday, but sure a few folks will cancel. i was thinking you couldn't shoot it without a classification but they do have a "U" option. vs showing up and shooting as you said above you would need to register in advance, although with prior approval i have shown up and shot at a state match.

if you haven't shot uspsa might not want to make a regional match your first one. just that if you don't have your safety aspects down pat, it's an expensive match to get dq'd on. but if you keep finger clearly outside of triggerguard while reloading, clearing jams, moving etc, and muzzle generally downrange, you should be fine. good luck.

If you've never shot a USPSA match before, I would be hesitant to

shoot an Area match as my first match.

Too many questions - too much info to absorb - too many ways

you can become DQ'd.

If you decide to go anyway, READ all the rules - and make sure

you understand them - and, if there's any way at all, I'd try to

get to any other match (or 2) before I went to the Regional.

And, have a ball (safely).

Just my 2 cents worth ... :)

Definitely get the membership so you can start working towards a classification. But starting out at an area match is a bad idea. These should be very difficult stages, and more opportunities than normal to get DQ'd. Dropping $100+ in match fee and going home early would be a really bad experience.

Go to club matches, get the new shooter briefing. Let your squad know you are new to USPSA so they put you later in the shooting order and you can see how other shooters break down a stage. Above all, be safe and have fun. Learn what works for you technique wise and equipment wise, and next year be classed and ready to shoot area and state matches when you are prepared for it.

Start with Level 1 matches. You can ask the RO to coach you thru the stages, you just have to ask. You don't need to be a member of USPSA to shoot, you can remain undocumented forever, however there are benefits to joining, besides just getting classified. Shoot fast, have fun. Don't hurt your head trying to understand the rule book, just be aware of your gun movement during a stage and try to remember what it felt like when you made your Alphas. You want a first good experience.

8.6.2.1 When approved by the Range Officer, competitors at Level I matches may, without penalty, receive whatever coaching or assistance they request.
Edited by 9x45

I definitely recommend against attending a major for your first match. Watching one as a spectator is a great idea. When you can shoot a few months of locals without a DQ, then try a major. When first starting out concentrate on doing everything safely. Reloads, movement, loading/unloading, etc. Know what the safety area is and pay special attention there. I had a guy on my squad load mags in a safety area at a Nationals and get DQ'd. Also concentrate on getting good hits. Trying to shoot outside your skill level will get you a bunch of misses. Having penalties every stage will kill your match score. Speed will come in time, A good goal to strive for is +/-90% of available match points.

good luck

Yea I'd also stay away from a Level 3 match early on. They will assume that you know the rules, and there will be ZERO leeway on violations, and may earn you an early exit.

If you are in NOVA

1st Sunday - Fredericksburg

2nd Sunday- North Mountain (Strasburg)

3rd Sunday- Quantico

3rd Tuesday- NRA

Fun steel match on first weekend of the month at North Mountain as well.

Good luck!

The Quantico Shooting Clubs holds USPSA matches on the 3D Sunday of the month and Steel Challenge on the 3D Saturday of the month. We post the signup for registration on Practiscore the Saturday the week before each match. Search for QPS on Practiscore. Non club members should go to Quantico Shooting Club website and read requirements under what's new for vetting requirements for base access for non members or those in possession of a DoD identification card. The range and club is located on Quantico Marine Base. USPSA matches include 5 stages which includes a classifier and Steel Challenge we shoot 6 stages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. i was thinking you couldn't shoot it without a classification but they do have a "U" option.

USPSA membership is required to shoot level II and up. Classification is NOT required.

Guys, Ive never had so many great replies to a thread anytime, anywhere! Thanks for all the valuable info! Due to my current parental responsibilities, it looks like Ill be going to the F'Burg and North Mountain shoots the most. Ill start by attending a match and practicing safety. Maybe I'll see everyone at the Area 8 championship next year :)

Personally I feel that you shouldn't let anyone intimidate you. Shoot whatever matches you can make.

Have fun

And be safe.

Everyone started this sport as a beginner.

I started 4 months ago and have found "friends" in this sport who have help me tremendously.

Shooting well is fun.

Having a great day with good people gets you hooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot whatever matches you're qualified to shoot. Level II+ takes some working up to, knowledge of the rules, practice of the skills, and especially safety awareness, which "brand newbies" don't usually have. There's no coaching at LII+, so there's no one to hold your hand while you attempt to do what you don't know how to do. That's great at LI, and it's the place to learn.