Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Activity report when shooting two divisions

kamikaze1a

We have a couple of competitors who enter two divisions or shoot a 2nd division during the classifier. It was suggested by a practiscore user that I add a "2" after their name to differentiate between the divisions but USPSA would send me error notifications after I submitted the activity report. USPSA said that the 2 was unnecessary and causing an error.

I asked USPSA what would be their preferred method and they said just enter the name but practiscore added the "2".

How do you handle competitor's names who are entering two divisions or for classifier re-shoots?

Edited by kamikaze1a

I asked USPSA about the practiscore generated "2" and they said that they are aware of the issue. It seems that they are trying to work it out with practiscore.

For the classifier re-shoots and 2nd division shooters, I've been using a 2nd device to score and then sync to the master after the overall match results are generated. That was suggested by someone on this forum and it works out pretty well.

If you add 2 to the name (usually in Android app), uspsa may reject it because there is no such member name in their database.

But ios app adds (2), (3), etc. suffix for competitors with the same uspsa#. Presumably you can tell which one is which this way for scoring and results purposes and uspsa report will have proper names. Remember, uspsa want all competitors in the activity report, even reentries.

Though these ios suffixes somewhat arbitrary and depend on registration sequence...

Besides that I am not aware of anything being worked out between uspsa and practiscore. E.g. practiscore does not have an explicit "include reentries" option when generating results.

If you are using Android PractiScore, you have to use EzWinScore to send match and classifier scores to the USPSA anyway... EzWinScore is set up for "Re-Entry" shooters...

http://www.uspsa.org/ezwinscore/faq.html#reentry

We usually write down Re-Entry shooters USPSA number, scores and time on a sheet of paper and then enter them directly in EzWinScore...

Android PractiScores lack of Re-Entry capabilities (along with its lack of USPSA match and classifier uploading capabilities) have been asked for in the past... Hoping Mike Foley can solve this...

I would not say that PractiScore lacks re-entry capabilities. You can register and score re-entry in PractiScore. But like I said, there is no explicit re-entry flag like one in EzWS when generating results.

If you are using Android PractiScore, you have to use EzWinScore to send match and classifier scores to the USPSA anyway... EzWinScore is set up for "Re-Entry" shooters...

http://www.uspsa.org/ezwinscore/faq.html#reentry

We usually write down Re-Entry shooters USPSA number, scores and time on a sheet of paper and then enter them directly in EzWinScore...

Android PractiScores lack of Re-Entry capabilities (along with its lack of USPSA match and classifier uploading capabilities) have been asked for in the past... Hoping Mike Foley can solve this...

I score with the Nook then after the match, sync to iPad. I then use the iPad to generate the activity report and submit the activity report through the USPSA portal. Practiscore on a Nook (Android) will do 2nd division shooters, classifier only or classifier re-shoots but does add a "2" which as Eugene says, causes a USPSA to send me an error message but they do accept the report even with the "2".

USPSA and a forum member said EzWinScore is not required as the practiscore activity report is acceptable. Never used EzWinScore as practiscore is the bomb! Thanks Ken and Eugene!

Wish list?

It is still unclear what the wish is.

Unless I am missing something, PS provides same functionality as EzWS does, without simulating EzWSs checkboxes and settings.

Wish list?

Unless I am missing something, PS provides same functionality as EzWS does, without simulating EzWSs checkboxes and settings.

I wish that Practiscore could generate USPSA activity report that would not result in error report from USPSA when a shooter competes in two divisions...

Wish list?

When you add a second, duplicate, name in EzWinScore, it asks if this is a re-entry... When you say "Yes" EzWinScore flags that name as a "Re-Entry". The USPSA side of the match upload understands that it is a second entry for an existing shooter and handles it correctly...

When you enter a second, duplicate, name in a PractiScore, it apparently adds a "2" to the end of the shooters name... The USPSA side of the match upload does not understand this and flags the name as not matching in the USPSA database... It comes back in the error report as not matching... as opposed to the EzWinScore method working smoothly...

I posted a similar request on Benos about six months ago... I finally dropped the issue since it is irrelevant because Android PractiScore users have to use EzWinScore to upload USPSA match results to the USPSA anyway... Since Android match uploaders have to use EzWinScore anyway, adding a couple of reshoots is not a big deal...

If you want to do something to really help out the PractiScore USPSA match uploaders, add the ability to upload match and classifier scores directly to the USPSA... Like the Apple version of PractiScore can...

The "error report" is generated from USPSA after we send in an activity report from practiscore or

EZWin. Its gets sent to the club contact.

It basically flags any incorrectly spelled names ( USPSA web see's the 2 as a spelling error).

It also flags any wrong USPSA numbers or classification errors, expired members and probably other things

I can't think off right now.

Then we can correct our shooter database information.

I assume USPSA has a report of these errors that someone has to look at and approve or change to be

accepted into the classification system as well.

When you add a second, duplicate, name in EzWinScore, it asks if this is a re-entry... When you say "Yes" EzWinScore flags that name as a "Re-Entry". The USPSA side of the match upload understands that it is a second entry for an existing shooter and handles it correctly...

For uploading purposes there are two separate things (up to now anyways and that may change soon):

* Activity report (uspsa wants activity fees for both entries). As far as I know, PS sends all re-entries.

Still waiting on someone to send us a counter example. None of us has access to USPSA match/scores upload system to verify.

* Match results (it is up to MD to decide if he wants to include re-entry or not).

In EzWS there is a checkbox for that and in PS you can just mark those shooters as deleted (I know it is not the most elegant option)

When you enter a second, duplicate, name in a PractiScore, it apparently adds a "2" to the end of the shooters name... The USPSA side of the match upload does not understand this and flags the name as not matching in the USPSA database... It comes back in the error report as not matching... as opposed to the EzWinScore method working smoothly...

That is not quite accurate. Android app doesn't add anything. The iOS app shows (2), (3), etc. next to the name, but they are not part of the name and not even stored in the match data structures.

So, I am not sure what the issue with uspsa upload is. Please email us the match and corresponding upload error details returned by the uspsa site.

I posted a similar request on Benos about six months ago... I finally dropped the issue since it is irrelevant because Android PractiScore users have to use EzWinScore to upload USPSA match results to the USPSA anyway... Since Android match uploaders have to use EzWinScore anyway, adding a couple of reshoots is not a big deal...

Jay, you were supposed to email us details of the issue back then. I've been waiting on that...

If you want to do something to really help out the PractiScore USPSA match uploaders, add the ability to upload match and classifier scores directly to the USPSA... Like the Apple version of PractiScore can...

It was delegated to be added to the PS web site, so users of both Android and iOS could use it. In my understanding uspsa is fine with that.

Jay, you were supposed to email us details of the issue back then. I've been waiting on that...

Eugene... I'm not Jay, but he's a friend of mine...

As I said above... I dropped the idea because it offers minimal benefits to Android PractiScore uploaders that have to use EzWinScore anyway...

It was delegated to be added to the PS web site, so users of both Android and iOS could use it. In my understanding uspsa is fine with that.

That's a terrible decision!

What about people that don't use the online version of PractiScore? They have to continue using EzWinScore to post activity files to the USPSA forever? The majority of ranges down here use MatchSignUp to register for matches... MatchSignUp.com exports match registration to PractiScore perfectly... We score on Android PractiScore... Then we upload the final scores to the home clubs web site...

I realize that you and Ken want to control all access to all USPSA matches, but that's not fair, nor in the USPSA's best interest...

• 1 month later...

Last month I had asked how you list a competitor that shot two divisions or did a re-shoot of the classifier.  When I entered their name the 2nd time I thought that practiscore had added a "2" but the gang at practiscore said that their software was not adding that 2. 

Well we just had our monthly match and they were right.  It seems that the Nook had those shooters saved twice, once with a 2 and once without.  By selecting the auto-fill entry without the 2 the report generated would be in the correct format and USPSA would be happy.  Note that the Nook still displayed the shooter as 1 and 2 but the report did not contain the 1 or 2.

So it was user error and not a glitch in practiscore.  My apologies to practiscore for the false alarm.

You don't need to create a special name for the same shooter who wants to shoot a second gun. Simply add them to the registration twice and put their second entry on a unique squad number. When they shoot their second gun have them go to the unique squad number and input the score there. After the match is done, when you use practiscore to generate the USPSA Webfile and Activity Report it will automatically mark the second instance of the same shooter as a "REENTRY" just like EZWinscore would do it.

15 hours ago, kamikaze1a said:

I added them to the same squad and practiscore added a 1 and 2 but it didn't include the numbers in the report which is what USPSA prefers.  I'll try using a different squad next month, thanks!

That's ios app...

13 minutes ago, kamikaze1a said:

Yes you are right.  I create on the ipad and pull to the Nook.  I might try adding on the nook just to see how it does it....

Ipad just shows those 1,2,etc suffixes for users with the same name (or uspsa#). they aren't persisted (i.e. calculated on the fly for "same person" shooters), so it is possible that between syncs one that was 1 can became 2 and vice versa...