Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used JP CTR-02....Good Deal?

BC27

So I was at a local gun shop and I came across a used JP CTR-02 for $1999. It looked like a 16" barrel with blended comp, barrel heatsink, low mass BCG and ACE stock. I see that the equivalent new is about $2700 on JP's website. It looked like it was in fairly good condition with just a few scuffs on the hand guard (normal wear and tear). They said they could go down to $1875 maybe more if I haggled. Anything I should look for or is this a good deal? Thanks for any input.

Edited by BC27

It seems like a pretty good deal so I'm very tempted. My only concern is any possible accuracy and/or reliability issues. I broke it down and looked down the bore and I didn't see anything unusual. However, I'm very much an untrained eye with barrels so I have no experience of what to look for. The BCG also looked good, no marring of anything obviously bad. Hmmmm....

Since the gun is used, they might be amenable to letting you shoot it to

test for functioning and accuracy.

I was looking at a nice deal on an AR 6-7 years ago, and tested it - I'd

fire one shot and the gun jammed up, on factory ammo, that I couldn't

get to fire a second shot.

It's 100% JP. It has the stainless low mass carrier and enhanced bolt. Both JP. It doesn't have the captured buffer but it has the polished spring and low mass buffer. It's at a Cabellas of all places and I went back and put a deposit on it so it's almost mine. Should be able to pay off the balance next month. I also measured the barrel this time and it's 18" which is what I prefer and also why I decided to snatch it up.

After punching some numbers, I'm a bit on the fence about going though with the purchase. Worst case scenario would be that the barrel needs replacement (kinda need to assume the worst). A new barrel with matched bolt is $479. I would need a new muzzle brake blended to the barrel which would be about $100 so it would be $579 to $600 (not sure what JP charges to install and blend the brake). Also, JP Thermo-Fits their barrels so I'd have to send it to them. I believe this costs about $100 plus shipping both ways ($60) So that puts me at around $2,635 which is about the cost of a brand new one. I don't know....

Buy a brand new $1500 or less Colt, Armalite, DPMS, etc, 3gun ready AR. Get a decent scope. Use the rest of the saved money for good ammo. Go practice.

Targets will never know the difference what kind of gun hit them.

JP's are pretty and a great gun but not necessary to hit most 3gun targets.

Granted, my opinion.

After punching some numbers, I'm a bit on the fence about going though with the purchase. Worst case scenario would be that the barrel needs replacement (kinda need to assume the worst). A new barrel with matched bolt is $479. I would need a new muzzle brake blended to the barrel which would be about $100 so it would be $579 to $600 (not sure what JP charges to install and blend the brake). Also, JP Thermo-Fits their barrels so I'd have to send it to them. I believe this costs about $100 plus shipping both ways ($60) So that puts me at around $2,635 which is about the cost of a brand new one. I don't know....

Blending the brake...some stainless steel rubbing compound and some elbo grease or use a Dremil.

Thermo-fit. A heat gun and your freezer....do a search about it. Lots of talk here on the forums on "how-to".

I would not assume that the barrel is shot out. Gauging from the pics you posted, I would bet it does not have that many rounds through it.

I called JP and they told me it is a early 2006 serial number. The person I spoke to was really helpful and provided some things to look for. One of which is the condition of the brake can give me a general round count of the barrel. He said how much gas erosion on the baffles is a rough estimator. Basically, under 2k rounds and the edges will only be mildly rounded and eroded, 2 to 7k will have noticeable erosion and rounded edges. More than 7k and the baffles will be getting thin. Its very broad estimates because there are so many variables but I'll have to take a close look at the brake next time I'm there. It's definitely not under 2k rounds based on what I remember. I do remember the baffles being black and eroded noticeably.

Blending the brake...some stainless steel rubbing compound and some elbo grease or use a Dremil.

Thermo-fit. A heat gun and your freezer....do a search about it. Lots of talk here on the forums on "how-to".

I would not assume that the barrel is shot out. Gauging from the pics you posted, I would bet it does not have that many rounds through it.

I hear you have several CTR-02's? Would you be able to snap some shots of your brake and the round count so I can compare? That would be great!

Edited by BC27

Here is my current "high round count" CTR-02 upper based rifle. Has about 2000-2300 rounds. Note that I clean my rifles every time I shoot them, so for those who let the carbon build up, things might be different. Also worth mentioning...JP use to use aluminum for some of their brakes. And those "burnout" faster then steel.

The rest of my JP upper based rifles are the PSC-11 models and one has a flash hider and the other one I have not even shot!

DSC01670_Copy.jpgphoto hosting sites

DSC01671_Copy.jpgimage hosting more than 5mb

DSC01672_Copy.jpgprint screen windows

Thank you for the high res images and round count! This will really help a lot. I also clean my firearms after every trip out but like you said, not everyone does that. I'll try to take some pictures of the brake when I go to look at the rifle again.