Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best anti-slip shoes for shooting on slippery concrete floor?

I participate monthly indoor matches where the concrete floor, often covered with dusts (from gun powder etc.), is very slippery at various spots. After slipping and falling, injuring my ankle in the last match, by wearing my typical outdoor trail running shoes (speedcross type), I am looking for a better option.

I did some online research, indicating shoes with rubber bottom and specific bottom pattern provide best traction on smooth concrete surface. The problem is, I am having trouble finding "running" shoes of that nature.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks.

Nike fs lite run work good for me. I think something with thicker tread and soft rubber is the way to go.

Basketball or other indoor tread shoes with a tight tread pattern get real slippery on dust

post-56194-0-51803900-1468791474_thumb.j

I went the opposite direction. Sure, the tennis and basketball shoes provide marginally better grip, but loosing your footing while stepping on brass wasn't worth the trade off for me. I went with some reebok shoes that have large lugs for tread. Still get great footing (been using them over a year indoors and out) and I just dig out any brass that may get trapped between the lugs after the stage is over.

indoor soccer shoes. i like adidas sambas model for indoor soccer

true shoes for tennis

any court sport specific shoe, like racquet ball, badminton, volleyball

i know some swear by basketball specific shoes.

skate shoes didnt work for me. trainer or just generic athletic shoes didnt work for me.

what did work for me, taking a can of hairspray to the match and hitting the bottom of my shoes before each run. i've shot in places that were such slick concrete you could slide like on ice. (they actually resurfaced the indoor range after seeing competitors slide around to a better surface) the sticky of the hairspray lasts just long enough for one run, so do it each time you're on deck.

people may laugh, but not once they try it.

indoor soccer shoes. i like adidas sambas model for indoor soccer

true shoes for tennis

any court sport specific shoe, like racquet ball, badminton, volleyball

i know some swear by basketball specific shoes.

skate shoes didnt work for me. trainer or just generic athletic shoes didnt work for me.

what did work for me, taking a can of hairspray to the match and hitting the bottom of my shoes before each run. i've shot in places that were such slick concrete you could slide like on ice. (they actually resurfaced the indoor range after seeing competitors slide around to a better surface) the sticky of the hairspray lasts just long enough for one run, so do it each time you're on deck.

people may laugh, but not once they try it.

If it holds a BEEHIVE do....gotta be sticky..... the old hairsprays made great flame throwers.. :roflol:

The first answer is also the best answer - FiveTen (and every other climbing shoe manufacturer) uses a soft, high-friction rubber for their shoes. It has excellent "frictional" properties, much more so than really another outsole available. Definitely more "sticky" than any of Salomon's offerings. Just keep in mind that because the rubber is softer, it will also wear faster. Especially if you wear them daily walking around on concrete.

The first answer is also the best answer - FiveTen (and every other climbing shoe manufacturer) uses a soft, high-friction rubber for their shoes. It has excellent "frictional" properties, much more so than really another outsole available. Definitely more "sticky" than any of Salomon's offerings. Just keep in mind that because the rubber is softer, it will also wear faster. Especially if you wear them daily walking around on concrete.

+1 on this and first reply. 5.10 approach shoe (guide tennie) or their downhill Mtn bike shoes if you want ankle support. La sportiva, scarpa, and evolve also make similar shoes with the same rubber tech. I also wear these roofing on tin and they are the best I've found for that, but you'll go through a pair a year pretty easily if you wear them much. This plus wiping them down/hairspray would be like wearing Velcro shoes ;)