Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 Is It Gone?

JimmyZip

You won't be able to find it.

Personally I've found that clays, WST, and most recently Ramshot Competition are very very suitable replacements.

In the case of Comp, I think it's an improvement. I need to shoot a few more K and see how I still feel about it.

It's like zero brand bullets for me. At the drop of a hat they dry up and you can't find any for years. Si I have never bought any and I never will as I found another option.

I shot a few pounds of solo 1000 when I first started in production but other powders are just as good or better to me and they are readily available except in the very worst of times such as November 3rd if things don't go our way.

Major ELECTIONS effect the components supply.

Keep your requirements IN STOCK at all times,

and a couple years worth if at all possible.

You'll sleep better.

You mostly have to look online for many things

Be vigilant with your searches. .

You won't be able to find it.

Personally I've found that clays, WST, and most recently Ramshot Competition are very very suitable replacements.

In the case of Comp, I think it's an improvement. I need to shoot a few more K and see how I still feel about it.

I thought Clays was not a good choice for 9mm. I use Clays only for .45, Solo 1000 for 9mm. YMMV

It's like zero brand bullets for me. At the drop of a hat they dry up and you can't find any for years. Si I have never bought any and I never will as I found another option.

I shot a few pounds of solo 1000 when I first started in production but other powders are just as good or better to me and they are readily available except in the very worst of times such as November 3rd if things don't go our way.

Buy enough for years at a time and it is not an issue...you do not have to feed them and they do not do bad :goof:

Tom

What is a good load for Solo 1000? I've got early 8 pounds in my garage a buddy bought 5 years ago and never really got into shooting.......

3.8 gr under a 125 HAP or PD JHP makes 130 PF out of my XDM 5.25, and is soft, clean, and accurate.

It works in .40 and .45 very well also. It was the first powder I ever bought when I first started reloading and the reason I chose it over all others that day was because there was so much load data for it.

Buy enough for years at a time and it is not an issue...you do not have to feed them and they do not do bad :goof:

Tom

Trust me, I have so much powder and primers I have been advised not to disclose it. Bullets though are another story. It's easy and relatively cheap to keep a closet full of powder and primers but compared to a pallet of bullets.

The OP asked about Solo 1000...let's leave all the political stuff at the door...

Come on dude. There are newbies on here who have NO IDEA what the component situation can turn to at the drop of a hat, or vote.

I see it as a public service announcement.

The OP asked about Solo 1000...let's leave all the political stuff at the door...

Come on dude. There are newbies on here who have NO IDEA what the component situation can turn to at the drop of a hat, or vote.

I see it as political. What was wrong with just saying "You should stock up on as much as you can afford at the present time."

I see it as political. What was wrong with just saying "You should stock up on as much as you can afford at the present time."
Because it doesn't convey the message! But since you have the awesome responsibility here and you, "see it as political", I guess that's all that matters.

So anyway, solo1000 really wasn't all that great anyway and it was notoriously inconsistent from jug to jug. I don't believe it's discontinued though. Pretty sure somebody said its in limbo until the new people making it figure out how to make gun powder. :)

The manufacturer in Spain has not maintained consistency from one production run to the next, and the difference is big enough that Western's load data is no longer applicable. The manufacturer is working on the issue. Western intends on bringing it back to market when the consistency issue is worked out.

What is a good load for Solo 1000? I've got early 8 pounds in my garage a buddy bought 5 years ago and never really got into shooting.......

Where to start.............

38spl 3.4gr behind a 125 plated

4.8 behind a 180 plated 171pf]

3.9 behind a 124gr 9mm [130pf]

5gr behind a 230 45acp [major]

es always under 15

never had a bullet go sideways through a target

Very clean

It ain't broke

Talked to the guys from Accurate at the NRA show. The expression on their faces after I asked about said a lot. Them they said that "they'd get it out as soon as they got caught up on production on some other of their powders"

Said like a good gun shop owner

That's the problem. The burn rate on Solo varied widely from lot to lot. My data for a 3.6gr load wouldn't work for many on here. They'd need up to 4.1-4.3 gr to make the same PF.

You really really do need to start at the book minimum and work your way up on this powder.

Back in ’93 it was almost impossible to find 9mm and .45. So I called Brian, and ordered my 550RL and got into reloading. At that time everyone was praising Solo 1000 for having less recoil and less smoke. It was also mentioned here the variation from lot to lot. So I called Powdervalley and ordered 4-8 jugs of Solo 1000 with the same lot number. I still have right at 16 lbs. I figure when I pass, my son-in-law will pick up the rest, and maybe a few firearms.

Back in ’93 it was almost impossible to find 9mm and .45. So I called Brian, and ordered my 550RL and got into reloading. At that time everyone was praising Solo 1000 for having less recoil and less smoke. It was also mentioned here the variation from lot to lot. So I called Powdervalley and ordered 4-8 jugs of Solo 1000 with the same lot number. I still have right at 16 lbs. I figure when I pass, my son-in-law will pick up the rest, and maybe a few firearms.

Gee thanks!

Gee thanks!

post-14692-0-21179500-1468893068_thumb.j