Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 Is It Gone?

JimmyZip

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing political here. Not promoting my candidate or denigrating anyone's candidate. Let's just talk about supply and demand of firearms and firearm related products.

If you are comfortable with our National Security situation then rest easy and everything will be just fine.

If you are not comfortable with our National Security situation, then stock up to the extent that makes you comfortable in the future to enjoy shooting sports and your personal preparation for self defense.

• 9 months later...

I dont have a problem with lot to lot variation. Buy two jugs at lets say 3.6 grains a bullet I will have to fire over 31,000 rounds before I have to tweak my load.

I am no Jerry Mickulek, I am just a simple peasant so 31,000 rounds should last me more than a couple years.

Solo 1000 was my go to powder. However, I've moved on to e3 and Prima V - both of which are better powders.

It will be interesting to see who goes back if/when Solo 1000 returns.

1 hour ago, Petrov said:

Does e3 burn at lower temps?

N320 bridges really bad in my SDB, how does e3 behave in dillon measures?

e3 burns cool and clean - very similar to N320. I first went to it to make minor in 38 Short Colt and you need a cool and clean powder to run revo.

e3 has metered very well for me on a 650. I did a polish job on the powder measure when I got it.

I think of e3 as sort of a Super Clays - very linear pressure curve. Me likey.

I'm on my second 8# jug of E3.  It meters well in my 1050.  It does tend to stack up a bit between sessions, so I drop 4-5 cases before starting a load run.

One advantage of the powder, the flakes are larger than the flash hole, so you wont gunk up your press with powder if a case(s) doesnt get a primer. :lol:

It has been great for me so far in my 9 minor loads. 

I use e3 for everything except Open loads.  As stated above, it is clean, cool and linear.  It also has no discernible temperature sensitivity.  It measures quite consistently in both the Dillon and Hornady powder measures.

Solo 1000 is a great powder for 45ACP Major.  It is super consistent.  In fact, you have to work at it to get anything other than single digit SDs.

Wow sounds like my next thing to try.

My SDB powder measure was polished too, the problem is with the powder activator/case mouth expanded, large rings/grooves inside that N320 catches on and builds up.

4 hours ago, Petrov said:

Wow sounds like my next thing to try.

My SDB powder measure was polished too, the problem is with the powder activator/case mouth expanded, large rings/grooves inside that N320 catches on and builds up.

Help is but a credit card purchase away my friend. To hell with the stock Dillon expander. Get the double alpha powder funnel (this midway link is just so you get the idea - shop around!). If you had a 650 with 5 stations, the Lyman M die would do the trick. A gradual tapered expansion is what you want. MUCH better bullet alignment for seating, smoother powder drop and no shaving of lead, coating, plating, jacket. What's not to love?

Yes it is compatible with the SDB.  I used two of them for years.  That is the Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel/expander.  You can also purchase it directly from him.

If you are talking about the powder getting hung up on the internal through hole of the dillon powder funnel because of the machining roughness - one thing you can try is get a bore mop that fits the inside diameter, chuck it up in a drill, and then use some polishing or fine grinding compound and polish the inside to get rid of the high ridges. I've done this and it helps.  Also, take a q-tip and occasionally clean the inside every few thousand rounds.  Most powders contain graphite or something else to help with flow, but you can still get gunk buildup depending on the powder.  

the DAA expander is indeed very good, but if the dillon is working for you and the powder drop is the only issue it is cheap to try polishing the inside.

Edit to add - I liked S1K, but at this point I wouldn't go back to it.  There are a lot of good 9mm minor powders, and for me American Select is almost identical to S1k as far as being soft shooting plus it meters better, seems to be more accurate, and is just as clean or cleaner.  Also I've  found Vectan GM3 is very good for the same reasons.   

Edited by Bamboo

Whoops - I misunderstood where the roughness occurs. Bamboo is exactly right - polish the living crap out of the interior of your powder drop. If it's really rough, hit it with some 220 grit paper and then go progressively finer until you can polish it with something like Flitz. :D