Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee or Dillon dies

I run a Hodge Podge in my LNL. I use a Lee U die to size, a Lyman M Die to expand. Redding micrometer seater and crimp dies. I also have some sets of Dillon dies and probably every other brand made for calibers I don't load that much. I started with hand me down Lee dies and honestly there was nothing wrong with them they worked fine. I do like the way Redding has micrometer seat and crimp dies though.

I like undersize size dies, to really hold on to bullets. I shoot a lot of cast bullets, most of which I cast myself, and I cast everything hard, so I have never worried about a sized-down case sizing down a soft cast bullet. I am about to start reloading .32 S&W Long for a Walther GSP, and am going to try soft bullets, and it may be necessary for me to try a case size die which is actually larger than book values, but Lee apparently makes that too.

The Dillon seat dies, with their ability to be disassembled for cleaning without losing adjustment, is an important asset when using cast, lubricated bullets.

I used to load on Lee press and dies. For 9mm.

For a short period ran Lee dies on Dillon

I'm now using Dillon/Dillon and feel like I'm getting more consistent/ better reloads. Than any of the of the above

You'll prolly get better advice in reloading forum....

Edited by biglou13

• 2 weeks later...

as with sarge I run dillon press (650) and lee dies (all pistol calibres at the moment, no rifle). I have tried the dillon dies too and the lee have some aspects to them I prefer over the dillon. I do think the dillon dies are good too but for me lee does what I want and as a bonus are cheaper. :)