Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone Carbide - Aluminium grips?

Has anyone done a Silicone Carbide treatment to their aluminum grips? I know people are doing it to their STI's and Glocks, but I keep thinking of hitting my CZ's SSI Scale grips with some. I am curious if anyone has done it on a metal part and how did it hold up?

Thanks.

• 8 months later...
11 hours ago, NWfront said:

How did this ever turn out?  Is it still holding up? 

IMG_2184.jpg

Worked well, a little chipping on the bottom of the grips on my dryfire/practice gun with the red grips from mags hitting it on missed reloads.  I didn't rough up the aluminum so if I want to I can scrape it off with a razor knife with some effort to reapply.  I just spread the JB Weld on in a thin layer with my finger and added the grit.  Works great and since then I have done my 1911 grips and a Sig P320 frame. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 11:50 AM, NWfront said:

Looks great.  Is that the JB Weld 2 part epoxy?  Do you recall what grit that is?

Yes, jb wield is graphite reinforced 2 part epoxy.  

On 4/1/2017 at 7:29 PM, d_striker said:

Is the grit comparable to sand paper in size and feel?

Silicone carbide is typical knife sharing stone material.  Usually the stones are 100 grit on 1 side and 240 on the other. 

In machine shops we use them to make shure are mounting surfaces are flat and smothe.  

On 3/29/2017 at 11:09 PM, zen_grasshopper said:

IMG_2184.jpg

Worked well, a little chipping on the bottom of the grips on my dryfire/practice gun with the red grips from mags hitting it on missed reloads.  I didn't rough up the aluminum so if I want to I can scrape it off with a razor knife with some effort to reapply.  I just spread the JB Weld on in a thin layer with my finger and added the grit.  Works great and since then I have done my 1911 grips and a Sig P320 frame. 

Did you just sprinkle it on thick and then later brush off the excess or do you need to press it into the JB Weld? 

9 hours ago, bockerSV said:

Grips I've done I paint on the JB weld then fill a container with silicon carbide so I can press the grip into it without getting pressure points.

This is the way to go. Fill a small bowl with the SC, set the grip panel onto it facedown, and press gently, rocking it slightly.

Prevents fingerprints from causing waves in the epoxy, because you're applying uniform pressure.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I gave it a try using loctite's version of JB weld I already had new in the package.  Even with a scuffed up and cleaned surface it failed to bond to the aluminum.  Just brushing off the excess SC started to knock pieces free.  In the future I will be sure to use the proven original.