Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing 9mm to .38supercomp?

cheers623

Ok...I suppose you could've been helpful instead of being an ass. I've searched already and find tons of stuff about slides/breechfaces/etc. No luck for my particular question. Also, tons of stuff about going the other way, i.e. shooting 9mm in a .38 barrel. However, I've not been able to create the magic search parameters wherein I'm able to find these 100s of times this question has been answered that you allude to...so ANYBODY else that feels like helping have any info?

Please don't call names. It doesn't help. You might have mentioned that you already did lots of searches, then folks could move on from there.

Its an interesting question. Have you searched for rechambering a barrel in the general gunsmithing forum?

Edit: Yep, try "rechamber 9mm" or "rechamber 9x19" and include the Open Pistols and General Gunsmithing forums. It has indeed been discussed a number od times. Best of luck!

Edited by teros135

Tried all the forum searches I could think where it would be appropriate and may have been covered. Again, stuff covering 9x23 to Supercomp, etc. No luck on 9x19 to .38 Supercomp. I realize fhat 9x19 is a tapered case and .38 Supercomp is straightwalled. However, becasue .38 is a longer case, is there enough "meat" left in the chamber to ream a 9x19 chamber to Supercomp and not compromise the case support at the bottom/lower portion of the case?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26137

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=193258&page=2

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95485

Easy way to search from google is to input ""Search query"" site:www.brianenos.com/forums" Sometimes the forum search is just a bit cumbersome.

Edited by SCTaylor

Hello: NO! Don't do it. Get another barrel that you can chamber it in 38SC. I have a KKM one with less than 500 rounds if you are in need of one. You can always sell your 9mm barrel since most here will buy it or even trade you. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Biggest reason is you get a new clean cut on your chamber with no concern of any type of rings being left in the chamber.

It's a great way to make the gun more versatile.

I've owned a bunch of both and finally settled on the 9. Only because I don't like having to hunt for brass on local match days.

I enjoy poking fun at the guys for scrounging for their brass.

Positive for the 38sc is I think they run a little flatter but on the timer I don't split the gun any faster when I'm shooting A's

Good fortune on your adventure!