Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VM and 1301.....how light do you go?

So VM and 1301 shooters, you all have shotties capable of reliably running subsonic rounds. My 1301 can run 900 fps Federals all day and hosing a row of clays with them makes me giggle like a little girl. The question is how light of ammo are you running in local and major matches. I've read Patrick's really useful article on chokes which addressed this question but wondered what match experience/preference is.

I know if I really want to go down this path and I should test the bunnfarts on various targets at different distances to see what MY gun will do but before I do just wanted to see if it was worth even messing with.

So VM and 1301 shooters, you all have shotties capable of reliably running subsonic rounds. My 1301 can run 900 fps Federals all day and hosing a row of clays with them makes me giggle like a little girl. The question is how light of ammo are you running in local and major matches. I've read Patrick's really useful article on chokes which addressed this question but wondered what match experience/preference is.

I know if I really want to go down this path and I should test the bunnfarts on various targets at different distances to see what MY gun will do but before I do just wanted to see if it was worth even messing with.

Where do you get 900 fps. Federals?

I have seen Win. AA's at 950 but never Federals.

The AA's will not run in my well broken in 1301.

Had a couple friends shoot AA Low recoil / low noise. 1 oz shot at 980 FPS out of a VersaMax Competition Tactical model. No issues dirty or clean, usually go about a thousand between cleanings but never pushed how long the gun could go between. Only tried the powder puff loads after about the first 5k rounds due to not having the ammo available before breaking it in.

You have to choke up more for steel, but for the most part if you do the work on patterning you can knock over longer steels with a full choke. You will likely be running light mod instead of IC, but that depends on your pattern and target presentation. I personally do not use these as I shoot a M2 and 3 Dram Eq shells but like you said, the 1 oz at 980 FPS is "stupid fun" to hose clays.

For cowboy in a pump low noise low recoil is great, for 3gun with a 1301 buy the cheaper stuff with 3 dram and chokes, but it always depends on how far out the targets are.

I don't plan for the easy shots, I plan for the tough ones. There are too many times, at too many matches, I've seen competitors shooting multiple extra shots at targets that were hard set. I also like extra shot, and extra velocity for those times you can take down multiple plates with one shot. My preferred load is the Remington Gun Club, 1 1/8oz, 1200fps. Then it's just a matter of matching my choke tube to the targets. Light Mod for most stages with mixed targets, Cylinder Bore for all clay stages and an Extra Full for stages with exceptionally hard moving targets.

1145fps remington gun club, 1 1/8th shot, if theres a tough target ive got 1300+fps stuff and then the turkey loads.

I can run 900fps, but I dont bother except for fun. Seems like its more important to know the recoil impulse rather than reducing it by an amount, and I dont shoot enough 900fps to really tune myself in with it.