Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine storage?

BGREID

quality springs fatigue by cycling, ie loading and unloading. leaving them either loaded or unloaded should have zero affect on the life of the spring assuming it is a quality spring and properly spec'd for the job. i poor quality spring or one that is improper for the job is going to have a very short life regardless of how it is treated.

I never knew they fatigued through cycling and not just straight compression. Thats good to know. Now I won't feel guilty when I leave them loaded the night before a match. I used to be pretty anal about not even leaving them loaded overnight. Those springs aren't the cheapest things when you have 6 to replace.

quality springs fatigue by cycling, ie loading and unloading. leaving them either loaded or unloaded should have zero affect on the life of the spring assuming it is a quality spring and properly spec'd for the job. i poor quality spring or one that is improper for the job is going to have a very short life regardless of how it is treated.

I second this.

if it did, youd be replacing valve springs in your car every other week.

After several years of contineous use or static load some of them breaks right? Nothing is forever. Although they last longer than usual its because of engg design. Its usage is logically factored into the design. But it has its limits. Edited by BoyGlock

if it did, youd be replacing valve springs in your car every other week.

After several years of contineous use or static load some of them breaks right? Nothing is forever. Although they last longer than usual its because of engg design. Its usage is logically factored into the design. But it has its limits.

static loads are not a concern, ie leaving an engine sit for prolonged periods with some valve springs under full compression, or a fully loaded magazine spring sitting fully loaded. so long as it was a quality spring of the proper tolerances for the job, it wont fail. they fail through cycling.

Spring properties are one of the most well developed and understood fields in physics and engineering. Leaving them in a compressed (or uncompressed, for that matter) state has no bearing on the life of the spring. As many people have said here, they only wear out from compression cycles.

Spring properties are one of the most well developed and understood fields in physics and engineering. Leaving them in a compressed (or uncompressed, for that matter) state has no bearing on the life of the spring. As many people have said here, they only wear out from compression cycles.

This

mine stay loaded all the time really. If I have a loaded mag, I don't unload it to store it, just throw it in the safe and could sit up to a month or 2. Been doing it for years with no issues and can't remember ever replacing a single spring

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have been leaving them loaded lately, partially out of laziness. That way I can focus on planning and shooting. I've been called to the line as the first shooter, while still loading mags, which rushed me and got me out of my ideal mental state. Also, due to schedule constraints, I often arrive to matches as they are starting, so I'm already at a time disadvantage.

I haven't noticed any issues with leaving them loaded, but I have had poor performances due to them not being loaded. If it becomes an issue, I'd rather replace springs sooner as opposed to be under more stress at a match.

• 4 weeks later...
On July 13, 2016 at 4:53 PM, BGREID said:

Do you store your magazines loaded or unloaded between matches? And why?

I unload at end of matches , during match I preload to within last two rounds then top off when in the deep hole as part of my routine.  

• 4 weeks later...

Why would loading a mag with "tight springs" and leaving it for a while make them easier to load after some time under compression if it has no effect on spring life?

I had some single stack mags that were tough to load the 10th round and tough to seat. I left them loaded for a week or two and they seat much easier now. That is my go to when it comes to tough springs in single stack mags. Everyone says leaving them under pressure has no effect on spring life. It seems to make them have less spring per say thats for sure.

Wilson says for thier mags that leaving them loaded for a couple of days helps get them to their optimal operating tension. Seems like after that they stay set and only degrade from cycleing? My duty mags stay loaded all the time and only get cycled is at quals and they are fine. 

• 4 months later...