Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need your forgiveness

rocket99

After many years of carrying and shooting Glock's almost exclusively, I decided to jump into Limited and bought a used STI. Now I am thinking that was a mistake. I don't shoot it any better than my current plastic guns LOL. The STI may be put on the block and I am going to look for a 35 or 24 to shoot Limited with.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

There's a guy at my local club that was actually given a brand new DVC as a thank you for all he does. . He shot it for a couple matches and couldn't stand it. He's back to shooting his Glock. Hard to believe but I guess you like what you like.

I've been shooting Glocks for the past 26 years - 17 (Gen 1), 21, 26, 34, 35 and now a 43 (carry). Love them. Never had a 1911 but always wanted one. Not quite 2 years ago, I killed two birds with one stone and bought a STI Executive, from a forum member. It took a little getting used to, but I love it. So much so, I picked up a Trojan, also from a forum member, last year because I wanted to give SS a shot.

Glock and 1911's are different animals and shoot and feel very different. Glock, hands down, is one of the most, if not the most, easiest guns to shoot, not to mention the most reliable. 1911 are the coolest however! Disclaimer: I have little to no experience with other brands so this is just a Glock - STI opinion. Glock wins the easy to use, idiot proof gun. My STI's will are my favorite though - they just took a little getting used to - maybe more than just a little. At the end of the day, it's the guy working the gun that makes the big difference. I don't score any better with my STI's, but I'm still pretty much a beginner to competition.

I got my first SV then an STI after about 4 years of USPSA. My scores definitely improved a lot when I made the change. I sold the fancy guns during the economic dark years and went back to shooting glocks. I shoot them just about as well as I did the STI. At my current financial state, I'm plenty happy sticking with the Glocks for the forseable future.

I was all set to get a DVC or Brazos STI. I shot a friends DVC for 1/2 day and didn't like it. The weight, it felt like I was shooting a Brick.

Transitions were slower too.. I was soooo glad I shot it though. I still have all my notes of the STI I wanted Brazos to build..

I'm sticking with my Glocks. But when the Sig P320 Target comes out I will try one of those..

How much time/rounds did you give the STI?

That would be quite a significant jump, from Glock to STI -

probably take some time and quite a bit of ammo.

There is no doubt that you are correct, I just don't have the time to devote to it at this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After many years of carrying and shooting Glock's almost exclusively, I decided to jump into Limited and bought a used STI. Now I am thinking that was a mistake. I don't shoot it any better than my current plastic guns LOL. The STI may be put on the block and I am going to look for a 35 or 24 to shoot Limited with.

Has anyone else experienced this ?[/quote

I have an almost new 35 I would trade you for that Sti!

rocket, you just have to find your own path to all Alphas. Taran Butler started with Glocks, and went to STIs. Bob Vogel started with STIs and went to Glocks. Personally, I stopped shooting 1911's back in 92 when I got my first G19 used. However, no Glock will ever touch the short reset trigger of a 1911, although CZs are at least as good.

I first started this sport using a stock G22. When I got my first serious Limited gun, an Edge, my scores improved big time. Can't beat the crisp trigger of a tuned 2011. A properly built 2011 type gun will also be as reliable as a Glock.

Take it for what a newbie competition shooter has to say...

I've shot glocks for about 6 years for SD practice & classes, just got into competition (3 Gun and USPSA) this year and wanted to try the 19/2011 platform, so I picked up a Rock Island 2011 in .40. I flat out shoot that thing much better! It points perfectly, fits my hand better, and is just more fun to shoot! I still carry a Glock, run them in competition every so often to keep familiar. It's all a matter of personal preference and fit.

Edited by SCTaylor

They all have their disadvantages and advantages. I started in Production with a Glick 34. I loved it and was have my a ball. But the draw of Open was just too strong so I now shoot 2011 Open guns.

Even when these guns run perfect they still need periodic maintenance. Last time I handed my gun over for a work over it cost me more than the G 34 did. Lol and ugh..... That day I missed shooting production with my Glock for sure

I shoot 1911s whenever I visit my father. He collects and shoots them. I can't shoot them as well as I shoot Glocks. Don't know why, but when I first shot a Glock practicing with a friend, it just fit me and I never looked back.

One day I will inherit a load of 1911s. Ho hum, it's the long guns and shotguns that will excite me as they have sentimental value. 1911s, that's trading stock!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I shot a G35 in Limited for about a year and a half. I put 12k rounds through it and won one club match. I was usually in the top 3 with i . On a whim I bought a Para 16-40, did one practice session, and won the first club match I took it to. Since then I've won 3/4 of the club matches I've been to, shooting against the same people that I shot the glock with. IMO, the glock makes an excellent Production gun, a decent Limited gun, and shouldn't be bothered with in Open.

I know some guys that will switch back and forth from a Production Glock and a Limited STI, and they do pretty well with it. I'd say you just need some more practice with the STI.

I switched from a G35 to a DVC Limited about 6 months ago. I haven't been able to shoot as much as I'd like, but I'll admit it took a while to adjust. From day 1 I could shoot more accurately, but it took a lot of work to get used to going fast with the shorter trigger travel as well as a trigger that moves straight back vs. pivoting at the top.

Edited by CaptainOverkill

You like what you like. Preference may not even factor into that. If you shoot Glocks better than 1911-style pistols, then ditch the 1911-style pistols. Bob Vogel ditched 2011s to go back to Glocks.

Edited by Dr Mitch

I shoot glocks. Got a Dan Wesson valor and did not like it at all. The trigger was great but otherwise not a fan.

Got caught up in the hype. Got a Stock 2 and had trigger work done. Wasn't a fan of that either.

I'm just a trashy Glock whore I guess. I want to try a PPQ and VP9 though.

I bet a PPQ trigger in a glock though would be hnggggg.

My STI Edge .40 lives in my safe while I shoot a MOD1 Glock 34 & 35 at matches. My wife shoots a STI Edge in 9mm but she doesn't shoot nearly as much as I do. I switched to the G34 for 3-gun because it is quicker and easier to abandon. Switched to the G35 for USPSA because the 2011 and the magazines just need too much attention to keep running well AND I have to be much more critical when making and inspecting ammo. The Glocks are just easer to live with. As far as the shooting goes I think the 2011 is easer to go fast with and I may get back to it if I feel the need to bust out of A class.

I've shot a G17 a G34 and a XDM 5.25 in competition. And all were great. And for most people they are a plenty capable competition gun. Me included probably. However I just switched to a Tanfoglio Limited Pro and have to say I'm impressed so far. Still love my Glocks but the trigger and weight are nice. But we will see how it goes.

Edited by RDT806

I'm in the same boat as you are at this point. Got a custom Limited gun a couple years ago, but haven't been able to get out and shoot near as much as I'd hoped (less than 3,000 rounds through it at this point). I love the custom gun and I'm a big 1911 fan, but I shoot a mildly modified Glock as good as my 2011 on any given day. I use a G19 at work and shot one for some time in Production. Like you I may unload the 2011 and mags and go back to Glock, but still debating at this point. Let us know how it goes.