Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals Squad selection

GMB

To give preference at a National Championship with a limited number of entries to the people who shoot the most matches beyond the local level. It's a reward for those who put the extra mile into their competitive idpa shooting.

If you live in an area where more than local matches are tough, it does seem unfair. But that's life, I lived in one of those areas before. But at the same time, I've seen people year after year get in with no points. Think this is tough, try getting into the Indoor Nats with no points! hahaha. That might as well be an invitational.....

I get that for the slots but for squad selection. So they are rewarding those people? Why do they not take a similar approach to the prize table rule? The shooters that are winning are putting in the extra work, so should they not be rewarded with walking a prize table in order of finish? If they (HQ) are going to take that approach in one are then IMO it should at the very least work for the prize table as well. Just sayin.

To give preference at a National Championship with a limited number of entries to the people who shoot the most matches beyond the local level. It's a reward for those who put the extra mile into their competitive idpa shooting.

If you live in an area where more than local matches are tough, it does seem unfair. But that's life, I lived in one of those areas before. But at the same time, I've seen people year after year get in with no points. Think this is tough, try getting into the Indoor Nats with no points! hahaha. That might as well be an invitational.....

I made it into this years indoor Nats off the wait list with 0 points. Next year I'll actually have a couple points.

JD

Registration and squadding are different than awarding prizes in my opinion. Just getting into the match and what day you shoot being tied to a year's performance seems OK to me. (I don't speak for IDPA HQ) You want to go to the big show, then show you've earned it is a theory I can understand. That includes getting the squad you want. This year I only had 8 points, from a high of 25 hahaha a few years ago. I really want to shoot Thursday but I'm in the second wave of competitors for registration. What I want to do isn't super popular so I'll probably get it.

As far as prize table, there isn't one at nationals. You win a trophy or a gun during dinner. (or they used to do gun drawings at dinner, I stopped going to that part) So there pretty much isn't any sort of random consolation prize type thing at nationals, other than the stuff you get at registration/check in. As far as the rule you mentioned for level 2,3 ect matches I can only guess at the reasoning. My guesses are they don't want the same people getting the best prizes all the time, they don't want the prize to be the reason you shoot, they don't want to put more pressure on sponsors and organizers to get prizes equal to the number of winners

IDPA is an odd balance of things, so you'll see what seems contradictory in it. Some things are based on finish others aren't. It used to be you gave trophies to the top 1/3. So at nationals you could give out 100 trophies! With it now being the top 1/5th the trophies mean more, or they do at least to me.

I made it into nationals this year and I am hoping to squad so I can shoot Friday morning and Saturday afternoon. With 8 points I will squad in the second round so hopfully I will be able to get the squad I want.

I went to a couple event in neighboring states that I normally do not attend just so I could get more points this year. I missed only one event that was a tier 2 in Phoenix so I could have potentially had 9 points but there's no way I could have more than 13 so as to squad first round.

My question is this, Is the points/squad picking split always the same....... 13+ then 8-12 then -8 ? If that's the case then with my nationals points, the Phoenix match and all the same matches again Ill have 13 points for next year and first round squad pick.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was a brutal 7 days, but I really enjoyed my 1st Nats. Got to see a few of our members here but was a Squad Mom for 3 days. Had a great bunch of guys/gals. Got to know a bunch of shooters that I hope to see again at other matches.

Unfortunately, lack of any practice other than a classifier 2 weeks prior really took a toll on me. That and the 2hr rain delay we had also made for some challenging stages. Took 5th in my classification. That'll learn me to send my guns out for work right before a major match. Lesson learned.  

8 minutes ago, DreGarciaTAT2 said:

That range was nice... And we rented a HUGE custom ranch home which made the nights comfortable as well.
Unfortunately, on day 2 I shot like a blind man... Lol. But that's ok...
There's always next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one way to do it!

I was commuting from home and it made for some LONG days. Hell, the drive from the front gate to the range was 10-15 minutes in itself! 

On 9/19/2016 at 1:21 PM, Tarkeg said:

I heard it was kind of hot and humid..

People posted pics and videos of huge puddles and downpour a couple of days before. By Friday and Saturday it was dry and no rain, thankfully.

It was very hot and muggy. No breeze and you just continued to sweat, even in the shade.  I drank a ton of water as well.