Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coaching points after my first IDPA match

Volfan45

Shot my first match today after shooting other disciplines for some time. Had a great time and met some friendly fellow shooters.

I did have a question about movement in the low ready position. I learned this position in prior training and move comfortably and safely with it. Should I work to move through IDPA courses of fire with the firearm fully extended?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hands on, hands off, gun high, gun low questions are answered by:

-how far are you going?

-how quickly can you see the next target you're shooting?

-should i be doing a rwr?

-am i going to need to activate a prop?

-will i need an arm extended for balance on a loose surface?

With the first two questions normally having the most import on the answer. Again, do some experimenting in the back yard with movement and target acquisitions on a par time. Keep cranking that par time down and you'll naturally find what is fastest, and then normally best, for you. (in that situation)

No matter what the distance is, my gun never drops below shoulder height. I've almost popped myself in the lip before when tucking the gun back to move around a barricade. That was a long time ago and I've since learned to not crowd cover positions.

As long as you keep the muzzle mostly level and down range, figure out how you can move fastest and get on target fastest when you hit the next firing position.

Like Rowdy said, a timer with par time and some experimentation in your back yard will tell you how to go.

If it is more than 2 steps, I always break my grip but I keep the gun high so it is faster into the next target. However I am usually loading a revolver before I move so my hand is low at the beginning from the reload and I raise it as I move so it comes into the position high.