Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm cases jamming in LNL AP case feeder collator plate

I have a new style case feeder and have probably loaded >50K rounds through same. It's the only problem accessory on my press: Mr. BulletFeeder is near perfect and primer shuttle never a glitch. Case shuttle also works perfectly.

I've tried every possible case window setting, but the frequency of cases not making it completely through the opening is unacceptable. It seems the 9mm cases are so light that they sometimes don't tip over fast enough, but if you open the window more then a second case may start to fall and jam things up.

Has anyone tried a very slight chamfer on the collator plate slots? How about the "fix" of adding a piece of sheet metal to further decrease the window size? I've also though about bending the adusting plate to decrease the clearing between its leading edge and the collator plate. Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted. I'd be fine with a "jam" every few hundred rounds, but once every 20-25 rounds just doesn't work.

Can you post a pic of a jam?

I got the most improvement from a Coke can split and clamped to the inside of the case feeder bowl to kick any cases not fully down in the slot in the wheel off. I use a small piece of cardboard on the bottom of the bowl opening to narrow the opening so that cases can't fall until they are over the funnel.

Search here for "LNL casefeeder" and you will find several threads on 9mm issues.

Paul Beck

I made several adjustments to my Hornady Case Feeder to get it to work about flawlessly with 9mm cases.

1. Adjusted the clutch to increase torque. Probably a quarter turn on the hex bolt adjustment in the center of the bowl.

2. Restricted the right side of the opening in the bowl with thin plastic. It's hard to see in the picture, but it's about lined up with the opening. Cardboard or any other thin material will do.

3. Restricted the funnel that leads to the case drop tube with a cut section of primer tray on the left and some cardboard on the front.

4. Made a sweep with thin plastic that prevents cases from piling up and causing a jam. It's a wedge shaped piece of plastic that has some give. This modification was the hardest to dial in. I tried to place the sweep in multiple positions, even using more than one sweep. The placement in the picture is what's worked best for me.

These were intended as temporary fixes, but they work so well that I haven't bothered to replace the slapdash construction with something better. I load about 100 cases at a time and almost never get jams. I only put 100 cases in at a time as that's when I'll stop to reload primer tubes, etc.

The funnel area.

funnel.jpg

The sweep.

sweep.jpg

Edited by blackhand

bfd6fa9251cf19ee522f5ce7c9708183.jpg

This fix has been working great for me for the last 1500 rounds. The rod is a piece of welding rod I put through a hole drilled in the bowl (right now it's just taped in place on the out side) it stops a second case from being able to make it around to the drop window so only one case can drop at a time. The sheet metal ensures that no cases ride over the rod and also bumps and upside down cases out of the notch in the case plate. Between that and adding a brace to keep the feeder from moving around as I run the press, I haven't had any jams since I added the rod (I had the flipper and brace for a while but I was still getting jams every hundred rounds or so)

Also with this set up I was running 500 ish cases at a time in 9mm or 38 sort colt as you see in the picture

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Edited by bikerburgess

Great fixes above. I really like the fix Burgess did with the rod.

I do something similar creating a sweep but is changeable depending on what Im loading. Its a piece of delrin with a 1/4" spring set into it on each side. Slide it in and adjust as needed.

I cant post pics here from my Google account, but here are links

https://goo.gl/photos/DnHWxFjerH7NdpFm6

https://goo.gl/photos/a7h2evLtJkTCfj2Q9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a video of how I fixed mine, very similar to bikerburgess above. I think I did this Nov 2015. 45ACP cases were constantly jamming up. I've probably loaded 20-30K since the fix, and not have had one jam.

Edited by GregJ