Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

electrolyte supplement

I'm pre-diabetic, and have been using Powerade Zero sports drink.

I'm not sure, but I think it's Gatorade with sucralose instead of sugar -

made by Coca Cola.

I read a year or so ago to dilute it 1:1 with water, and that seems to

be doing a nice job, so far. :)

I'm pre-diabetic, and have been using Powerade Zero sports drink.

I'm not sure, but I think it's Gatorade with sucralose instead of sugar -

made by Coca Cola.

I read a year or so ago to dilute it 1:1 with water, and that seems to

be doing a nice job, so far. :)

I have been trying to reduce the mass transitioning from shooting position to shooting position. So far Powerade Zero has been helping me keep calories down and stay hydrated when I have the foresight to bring it to the range. It is also delicious.

It definitely beats the old plan of a rockstar energy drink and a few coke zeros throughout the day in terms of hydration.

I've been using Ultima Replenisher as it has the electrolytes without the sugar and has nothing artificial. It's a powder and it mixes easily with water. I usually take a couple of bottles of water and mix the powder into the bottle. Oh, and it tastes pretty good for a natural product

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
VITALYTE is another good product for this. It can be found at most hiking-camping stores.
It has 11g of sugar.

Gatorade g2 has 12 grams, probably cheaper and easier to find as well.

I actually prefer g2 to Gatorade.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Funny this came up today

i left the range today dehydrated..

i had had plenty of water with me. But only drank one small bottle during match

the excitement and adrenaline easily masks thirst, hunger, fatigue, mental fatigue.

once match ended, and the rush and adrenaline let off I felt surprisingly exhausted 

if  you get to point where you are very thirsty.... It's most likely  to late, to make recovery by end of match.   you will be playing catch up, not to mention decreased mental acuity.

sure I grab a g2 every now and again.

what makes more sense is to drink water, dilute fruit juice and eat your electrolytes naturally, Also helps keep blood sugar  at even keel

apple, orange, banana , celery,, carrots,  nuts and cheese, think REAL food,  

Of the convenience products I like Lara bars.  ( which I will remember to bring next time)

i've decided I'm setting phone to remind me to snack and hydrate  throughout match  day.   

Edited by biglou13

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:33 AM, CoffeedrinkerinNC said:

I'm looking for a good alternative to gatorade, am I diabetic and don't want the extra sugar.

I go with a sugar free Gatorade mixed with a high concentration of BCAA. usually from optimum nutrition.

the bench

13 minutes ago, WiII said:

Good idea, maybe he should take a few scoops of JACK3D too lol

jacked, or any other pre-workout is too much....I do use the amino energy from ON though....it has a little caffeine and a lot of BCAA..but nothing to make you jittery or overly amped

the bench

• 4 months later...
On 7/10/2016 at 5:33 AM, CoffeedrinkerinNC said:

I'm looking for a good alternative to gatorade, am I diabetic and don't want the extra sugar.

I'm also diabetic and use a combination of VitaRain Zero (Costco vitamin enhanced water) and Propel Zero (water and electrolyte supplement, also at Costco) I don't mix them together, just alternate between the two during the match. I usually drink one bottle per stage (or more if it's hot).

• 3 months later...

Any of the sports drinks will have too much sweetener or sugar in them if you drink them as they are. Too much sugar so they just run straight through and get flushed out. 

If you cut it with water at least 50/50 or as much as 75/25 your body will be able to absorb the electrolytes much better and you'll feel more hydrated throughout the day. Also since there's less sugar this way its a lot less likely to upset your stomach.

I also use the Elete Electrolyte concentrate. It has a slightly salty flavor, so I often will add a squeeze of a lemon or lime slice to the water.

Also there are several companies that make electrolyte tables w/o any sugar or other artificial ingredients. I use the brand Salt Sticks, and just take the tablets with some water, as needed. They are less expensive than some of the others, like NUNN tablets.

Personally, I avoid artificial sweeteners, as well as sugar.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am trying a product called Liquid IV.  It does contain sugar but the amount is far less than Gatorade and it is not a sugar substitute that can wreak havoc on your blood sugar levels.  The balance of salt, sugar, B-vitamins, and minerals are supposed to be optimal for cell absorption.    Costco online has it.