Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide rod for 17L/24

Southpaw

Does anyone make an extended guide rod for the 17L/24 that extends to the front of the slide?

I've been using a Zev extended stainless guide rod (extends to the front of a 34/35 slide) in my 24 and just noticed that after only a few hundred rounds the front of the guide rod is getting banged up and rounded off from hitting the top of the opening in the front of the slide. I don't care about the guide rod getting beat up, but don't want to damage the slide.

Edited by Southpaw

Just did some more testing and I think I figured out why this is happening...the problems of trying to build a Frakenglock :). I've been using my 24 slide on a Gen 4 frame. The Zev guide rod I was using is a Gen 3 guide rod and I think the Gen 4 frame allows it to move around more which might be why it's able to tilt up enough to hit the top of the guide rod opening in the front of the slide. I tried the OEM recoil spring assembly in my Frakenglock and it tilted up enough that I couldn't fully rack the slide.

I just put a Jager 34/35 Gen 4 guide rod in it and will test it tomorrow to see if that one also gets banged up from the slide. I would still like a 17L/24 length guide rod if anyone knows of one.

Just did some more testing and I think I figured out why this is happening...the problems of trying to build a Frakenglock :). I've been using my 24 slide on a Gen 4 frame. The Zev guide rod I was using is a Gen 3 guide rod and I think the Gen 4 frame allows it to move around more which might be why it's able to tilt up enough to hit the top of the guide rod opening in the front of the slide. I tried the OEM recoil spring assembly in my Frakenglock and it tilted up enough that I couldn't fully rack the slide.

I just put a Jager 34/35 Gen 4 guide rod in it and will test it tomorrow to see if that one also gets banged up from the slide. I would still like a 17L/24 length guide rod if anyone knows of one.

Also would like a 17L/24 length guide rod.

+1,but in tungsten

Well that's 3 people who want one, someone should totally jump on this huge untapped market and produce one :). I did some more looking around online and still can't find anyone that makes one. I'm going to email TTI and see if they have any plans to make one.

+1,but in tungsten

+1

There used to be one called "T.H.E. guide rod," that was what we're all looking for but they aren't around any more. Vogel has one that uses ismi springs, I asked him what it was and he said he couldn't remember. So, they're out there just not as common anymore.

There used to be one called "T.H.E. guide rod," that was what we're all looking for but they aren't around any more. Vogel has one that uses ismi springs, I asked him what it was and he said he couldn't remember. So, they're out there just not as common anymore.

If you find out any more info on Vogel's guide rod please let me know :)

I just did some more searching and found this one that claims to be a Glock 24 guide rod, but I've never heard of this company before and there's not enough detail on it on their website. Anyone know anything about this one? http://ssguiderods.com/shop/glock-24-guide-rod/

I emailed TTI and got a kind of confusing response today, I'm not sure if they were saying they make a dedicated 17L/24 guide rod, or just that their guide rod will work in a 17L/24 so I'm following up with them...

I would love to have a couple of full length guide rods for my 17L and 24. I have done some pretty extensive looking and didn't find anything at all. I am thinking about having a machinist that I shoot with make me a couple. After reading the description in the link you posted I'm fairly certain that this rod is no different than any full size small frame glock captured rsa

I had issues running a guide rod for a 34/35 in my 17L. It was just as likely to be a manually operated pistol as not. You would never really feel anything when cycling by hand but when you fired it the slide would strike the front of the rod with just enough force to cause a malfunction. It might fire two or 3 shots just fine then would malfunction for a shot or two then fire one malf one. Changed to a 17/22 rod and have never had another issue.

Update:

I emailed Jager Products asking if they make a 17L/24 guide rod. Billy responded and said that they used to, but discontinued it due to low demand. BUT he said he'll do another run in 8-12 weeks! He didn't say what the price would be. Feel free to email him and tell him you'd also like one...maybe that will speed up the production timeline :devil:

And TTI never got back to me when I tried to clarify the confusing email they sent me where it was unclear whether they make a 17L/24 guide rod or not...