Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how will 3 gun work in CA. ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that. Wasn't Colorado first with the 10 round thing? Anybody can use Mary Jane in CO? Can't do that in Calicornia.

The California hippies are following what Colorado hippies are doing.

Absolutely not, we are 15 btw.. Without getting my blood boiling over it, we'll just say it's not enforced.. Ever

This is all very sad...

On a lighter note - That is a sweet rifle BigBam. Care to share details? Stock, Lower?

Lower is a ARES SCR with the Monte Carlo stock. Upper is a Gibbz Arms side charger with matching 15 1/2" hand guard.

The current barrel it has now is a Proof Research 18" rifle length. JP bolt. Scope is a VX-6 Leupold in med low rings.

I use it for coyote hunting, but it would work ok for a 3gun rig. The only thing is the mag release. I have a ambi mag release and use my left hand to drop mags as you can not reach the "normal" mag release without shifting your grip.

Fun rig and is very accurate.

Thanks BigBam. Adding this to my "need" list

I just wish they had just made it a 10 round limit and gave us back the mag release for all firearms. Then 10 Rd mag changes would be okay, and while not the best, the rifles would be normal and no stupid button.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

While this has not been completely determined yet it appears that registered AWs will be able to retain their naughty features and ditch the magazine lock. If there is any silver lining to be found in this mountain of restrictions, that would be it. Well that, and getting really good at changing mags. Aussies seemed to do pretty well at WS despite shooting down under with 10 round mags.

Once we see the registration form I will figure out if my stable will get registered or be configured featureless. My PCC is set up featureless but being able to wrap my thumb around the grip would be much better.

Despite primarily being a pistol (and now PCC) only competitor this is going to impact all of us. Only the guys who shoot low cap divisions by choice are making it out of this round "unscathed".

I am having an Open gun built right now. Looks like I will be going "bullets out" or having to gain some weight for more belt real estate...

While the ultimate goal of Sacramento is likely elimination of AWs there is a provision to "de-register" guns after they become featureless, so that may be an option in the future as well, unless they get a featureless ban through as well.

Definitely you guys need to fight back whether you care about/shoot long arms or not. in australia after the worlds largest single shooter massacre in 1996 the government and general public went nutszoid. Australia is full of pretty easy going people who had just not been subjected to stuff like that. Till that point you could own full auto/select fire long arms in many states and most states registration was voluntary! They came out hard after the long arms and took away 1.4mil semi auto rifles out of an estimated 2.7mil (estimated as records were not compulsory up to that point).

many pistol shooters said "big deal, I've still got mah P9 and mah hi-caps" and later everyone had their 2011's or whatever was the hot ticket of the day (double stack tripp frames with custom 1911 uppers). Well guess what, 8 years later (2002) they came for the short stuff and introduced 10 round mag limits, made pocket pistols difficult to get and made you get a permit if you wanted anything bigger than a 38/357 (permit needed for 40 or 45 cal).

Now thankfully in australia you can still buy large calibre pistols (just need the permit) and you can still own hi-cap mags (again need a permit) but the fact is basically any IPSC type match you shoot will be 10 rounds per mag. rifle stuff will be manual action as so few people have the (now difficult) permit for a semi-auto centrefire rifle.

So while it's not quite the end of the world, any infringement on your ability to buy, own and compete with the guns you want is a bad thing.

Funnily enough there are already many guns people can buy easily in Australia that you can't own in cali!

As pointed out aussie guys like Brodie who would only shoot his open big sticks a few times a year still manages to do well in world shoots. his reloads are definitely a strength now!

Wasn't Colorado first with the 10 round thing?

Absolutely not, we are 15 btw.. it's not enforced.. Ever

NY was 10 for many years, and never enforced at matches.

Until a few years ago - I got message from at least two NY MD's

NOT to bring ANY mags over 10 rounds.

Colorado Democrats were caught in the post Sandy Hook enthusiasm for gun control. They felt invincible, passed the law. Two high profile State Democrat lawmakers were recalled (Speaker of the House was one), and they pretty much shut up for a while.

Largely magazine sales or exchanges are done as "rebuild kits" so a bit of civil disobedience across the state. Some are openly advertised. Most of the Sheriff's sued, no one has been prosecuted as far as I know.

I'm here in southern CA and doubt 3 gun will ever die. LDF at pala is on Indian land therefore we have some leeway.... i'll leave it at that.

Funny you posted that video of the guy shooting the bolt I'm almost certain he shoots the Linea De Fuego matches with that same set up!!

Keep gunnin!!!

They're not high capacity mags, they're standard capacity mags. 10 round magazines are low capacity mags.

:) I like it :)

Someone, please, send this to the press ...

My P35 (introduced in 1935) comes with a 13 round mag ... 81 years ago.

They just discovered that 13 rounds is a "problem"?

I suspect Rifles will either go featureless and use 10 rd mags or they will be full feature and manual action. Alternatively.. they haven't targeted scatterguns yet so I figure we will shoot stages a majority of the time pistol/scattergun with a sprinkling of rifle shooting... though at my annual Rifle match, I'll likely suggest ppl use 10 round mags.. (Garand is okay at 8 rd en bloc)..

Edited by sargenv

• 1 month later...

I'm currently working in SoCal and was shocked after reading the new laws. Coming from a gun freindly state I had quite a culture shock. I'm lucky that I'll only be here for another 4 months or so. I realize that as a gun owner I'm responsible for knowing local gun laws and that ignorance is no excuse. Shortly after I moved here I took my AR to a local range, I had the gun in a gun bag with a chamber flag. When I went in I was asked if the weapon was CA compliant. My first thought was of course it is it's a semi auto 16" barrel, nothing out of the ordinary.  I then learned about the "bullet button". Holy crap!!! So needless to say I didn't get to shoot. Sadly there are many out that don't have the option of moving and have to work within the laws they are given. I should be out of CA before 01/01 but if it's close I'll be shipping my guns home until I can escape.  I hope 3 gun survives in some form and for my friends here in the DRC we stand with ya'll.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/6/2016 at 7:03 PM, dogtired said:

Those damn liberal Californians have been infecting Colorado also.

Well look at that...

Colorado limited their mags... Californians followed and limited their mags.

Colorado made marijuana legal... Californians followed and made recreational marijuana legal too.

What else are those Colorado hippies doing?  

11 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

Well look at that...

Colorado limited their mags... Californians followed and limited their mags.

Colorado made marijuana legal... Californians followed and made recreational marijuana legal too.

What else are those Colorado hippies doing?  

As a former Coloradoan: its important to know history.

https://www.britannica.com/event/San-Francisco-Oakland-earthquake-of-1989

After the '88, then significantly the '89, quake, thousands of Californians(and their insurance payouts) moved to Colorado, beginning a massive socio-political change.

Not sure where you're getting your info, but:

(1996)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_California

While technically "decriminalized" in CO in 1975, the vast majority of counties prosecuted under the more stringent Federal laws.  The DA in Pitkin county was the driving force in the '75 effort.  Pitkin county contains which Colorado cities...?  Denver, Pueblo and the Springs.  Not exactly the most conservative demographics, ever.  Statewide "legalization" (e.g., DAs statewide won't/can't prosecute) wasn't until ~2000. 

Cali had capacity limits, and far more severe restrictions in general, in 2000; Colorado followed in 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_by_state

Sooo... ;)

Pitkin County Colorado does NOT contain Denver, Pueblo, Colorado Springs. Each of these cities are in a different county. Denver County, Pueblo County, and ElPaso County respectively.

Pitkin is a mountain county of only 17k people, Aspen is the county seat. Hardly a "driving force" of population...

Edited by RiggerJJ

• 1 month later...

With the new laws going into effect next year (banning of magazines holding more than 10 rounds effective July 1st) the range I shoot 3 gun has stated that no one will be allowed to use any magazines holding more than 10 rounds. This includes police officers and active duty military. For once we will all be on the same playing field. The police officers who shoot with us usually show up with some mags that us regulars could never get. 

I've been shooting LdF since I've been here in Cali. Federal Indian land or not, the USPSA rules say you have to follow state laws. 

Also, the guy that owns the mine on the backdrop of LdF is trying to get it shut down, anyway. He already figured out he owned the land that the pistol range was on, to the far right of the bays - and shut that down with the quickness. 

The Pala range is dying a slow death, and with it will go LdF. Unless someone decides to build a new range, NorCo R&G will be the only place in Southern California, South of Ventura County, to shoot a match. Prado, DWB, Piru- all have stuff going. But for those of us in the San Diego area - we're gasping for air. 

Come out to match masters in Yuma! Not too far of a trek and the guys out there are awesome.

Shoot me a text anytime next match is the 8th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Colorado has drive thru pot dispensaries.  

California will soon follow suit.  LOL.

The Piru range got sold.  Listing I saw was for $4M.  No more 3 gun at Piru.  The MD of the 3 gun match said F' it and is moving to AZ.

Back to WEGC and Pala as the only 3 gun matches in So Cal.