Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issues with .40 setup on a 550 for AET barrel. Any advice is apprecia

tha1000

I was going to post this on the OAL thread, but I'm not sure it's an OAL problem... so probably better to start a thread.

Here's my story. I have a preloved, low round count, 2015 build SVI with an AET barrel in .40. This is my first time to reload for .40 and have not had any issues with reloading 1000's of rounds in 9 or .45 in the past. I know the AET's have tight chambers, so jacketed .400 bullets are recommended per the builder. I had some .401 bayou 180s on hand and loaded some of those up first to test. A large percentage of those failed the plunk test. Even the ones that dropped in cleanly still required a bit of a shake to fall out of the barrel. I am using dillon seating and crimp dies with the lee U die for sizing, so my assumption was that this issue was related to the .401 bullets.

I then ordered a case of .400 fmj 180's and loaded a test batch. They are better, but still not going in and out of the chamber or my .40L hundo as easily as I think they should be. I'm now beginning to wonder if I am loading too long?? (1.19 oal)

I'm at wits end with this. The brass itself plunks fine and case gauges easily after sizing, before loading. So I am relatively confident that it is not a "glock bulge" issue causing the problems. I have tried more bell, less bell, more crimp, less crimp, all to pretty much the same results. I have a lee FCD on the way that will hopefully fix the symptoms if all else fails, but I'd like to figure out what the actual problem is and fix that. I was hoping to shoot the gun in match last weekend, but concerns about my reloads are keeping me in production for the time being.

Where do I start trying to trouble shoot this? Is it possible that the rounds are just too long at 1.19 and are sticking on the lands when I try to drop them back out of the barrel? Brandon at SV recommended 1.20 oal in the "recipe" he sent me. However, I don't see how going longer will address the issues I'm having.

HALP?!?!!?!!!

Edited by tha1000

I would make sure your fmj 180 are .400 and crimped, my schuemann aet and a guy I shoot with that has 2 40 svi aet barrels have no problem going out to 1.20 . My aet barrels do not like any bullets over .400 or hornady hap bullets but likes mg or precision delta .

See post #4 here. Do this test with both types of bullets as you'll get a different max OAL for each. http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

that is how i work my loads with a new gun ; however, i make sure the bullet doesn't stick inside while i pull the test cartrige off the barrel so i don't get a misreading of the chamber's lenght.

Did you actually shoot some of those reloads?

You could try just seating and then back off the seater and then just crimp. Then gradually increase the crimp until .420 or so...

Be sure to set bullet straight before seating. If bullet is set on belled brass off kilter it could be seating slightly "crooked".

I had a very similar problem when I went to a Mr Bulletfeeder expander funnel. Everything had worked fine when using the Dillon expander. I set the BF funnel up according to instructions and found almost all of the rounds failed the chamber checker. By carefully measuring I discovered the Dillon seating and crimping dies were not removing all of the bell the funnel put on the case. It crimped fine, but slightly behind the crimp the OD was slightly too large. I kept backing out the BF expander until there was only the minutest flare at the end. That cured the problem. The expanded portion of the case accepts .400" bullets inside and held straight up. They go into the seater die that way and then the crimp die. 99.9% pass the chamber checker now.

You could try just seating and then back off the seater and then just crimp. Then gradually increase the crimp until .420 or so...

Be sure to set bullet straight before seating. If bullet is set on belled brass off kilter it could be seating slightly "crooked".

I shot some of the .401's that passed plunk. I have not been to the range to shoot the fmj's.

I shot some of the .401's that passed plunk. I have not been to the range to shoot the fmj's.

Have you determined what part of your rounds is interfering? If not, use a marker to color the brass/bullet and that should reveal the contact area.

Like the zzt I'm thinking that it may be that some of the bell is remaining left or crimp starting before fully seated so causing a bulge.

Dude I have had my frustrations with 40 even before getting my SV. Take a marker and paint around the base of bullet in the case. Chamber the round. If its only scraping on one side then the bullet is not seating straight. I have resolved my issues with the following recipe:

Redding Dual ring carbide sizer. The LEE U die works too but I start getting cases with split mouths.

The powder funnel from the DAA mr bullet feeder

Redding comp seater

more crimp then you would think.

with the SV they need to be .400 401s will just not work. .400 blue bullets work for me.

I still get rounds that wont pass the hundo but its always due to glock bulge. I have a lee bulge buster that helps with some but still wont fix them all.

The Redding comp seater will be of assistance in getting your bullet seated straight. It captures the tip of the bullet at the beginning of the seating function with a spring loaded sleeve. Standard seating dies impinge on the bullet tip at the end of the seating function,when it is too late if the bullet is seated crooked. A bullet seated crooked may not pass the plunk test. The first Redding comp seater I used was in .45 auto and it made a big difference. It took out unexplained flyers for the lead bullets I was loading. I use the Redding die for loading .40 for two SVI AET barrels and have gone as long as 1.220" OAL with out a problem.