Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine springs

BGREID

Each spring/follower manufacture have a slightly unique attachment method between the spring and follower. TTI and Grams are very close and work with one another pretty good. MBX spring & follower attachment is different just enough that you can't use them on the TTI or Grams stuff without modifying things.

As said before though, why try to mix and match things when you don't need to. If you have MBX mags, just use their springs and followers and be done with it.

OP - If my gun had been working well for 5 years, I'd be thinking about routine changing every 2.5 years. How often you load the mags and how tightly you compress the springs are factors, if you have to stand up on top of the mag to get the last round in then that may warrant more frequent replacement. 

If you are shooting limited 10 and never loading the mags beyond 70% capacity, those springs might last a long long time. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/8/2016 at 2:18 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Springs are one of the cheapest replacement parts out there. Why on earth wouldn't you proactively replace them every 3 - 6 months just to be safe? You can use components to failure and throw away a match because of it, or you can proactively replace parts to keep your guns and gear running 100% reliable.

I probably replaced and thrown away more magazine springs in a single year than most shooters do in 10 years. Some people may think this is excessive, but those same people also wonder why my gun magically never jams.

I was thinking this.  I wasn't sure about approximately how many rounds you should go through before changing the springs -  so thought maybe at the beginning of the year every year would be a good time to replace all my mag springs.  I remember last year having a TON of feeding/ejection issues or something that was VERY frustrating, and finally changed out my mag springs.  I don't want to wait until there is a problem. 

Edited by AlphaCharis

I have 1MBX 170 that I plan to use MBX springs and followers to freshen up. 

I have 3 140 STI tubes that are tuned with TTI base pads and unknown spring and followers. What should I use?

i have 2 140 SVI tuned mags with SVI guts and base pads. What should I use? 

Could i standardize across all mags with MBX springs and followers or is this a try and see type deal? Ideally I don't want 3 different combos to keep up with. I also want reliability and max amount of rounds. 

• 2 weeks later...

I try to change ALL of mine as soon as 1 has issues.

If not I try to change them yearly.

At 5 years you are due for some new ones lol. Might also want to tune the magazine lips as well. Make sure to clean out the bodies while you're at it.

11 hours ago, JAustin316 said:

Might also want to tune the magazine lips as well. Make sure to clean out the bodies while you're at it.

This has been a more frequent issue with my 2011 mags than the springs. At least once per year I check and tune with the Dawson mag tuning kit, cleaning frequency depends a lot on the surface of the ground where I'm shooting.

1 hour ago, JAustin316 said:

How do you end up tuning them? Supposedly STIs are more fragile than SVI. I recently got some MBX which are supposed to be less prone to deforming.

The Dawson kit includes tools and instructions with specifications for spread of the magazine lips on each end, and some other handy info. 

I do not normally follow instructions well but in this case I just watched the dvd that came with the kit and then painted by the numbers. You may well be right about the STI's versus others, I think mine are all STI's. 

I don't have any tie to Dawson, just like the kit. 

• 3 weeks later...

I use STI 170 mags for practice... MBX 170 mags for matches... change my practice mag springs once a year.. which happens to be Grams springs & followers.. I have spare springs & followers for my MBX mags .. but have not changed them out as of yet...

• 1 month later...