Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine springs

BGREID

So how often do you replace magazine springs in your STI mags? I have been getting some FTF in a gun that has been very reliable for 5 years. I have changed the recoil spring and the problem persists.

When they start giving me issues I change the springs. That or a few weeks before nationals.

What are the issues you get from weak magazine springs?

Edited by BGREID

When they start giving me issues I change the springs. That or a few weeks before nationals.

Imbalance in slide speed and round presentation from the magazine. The first sign of worn/weak mag springs is typically FTL and/or jams involving the last few rounds in the magazine. When you start getting these failures...take note.

Imbalance in slide speed and round presentation from the magazine. The first sign of worn/weak mag springs is typically FTL and/or jams involving the last few rounds in the magazine. When you start getting these failures...take note.

Sounds like what I am experiencing.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty much what he said.

Springs are one of the cheapest replacement parts out there. Why on earth wouldn't you proactively replace them every 3 - 6 months just to be safe? You can use components to failure and throw away a match because of it, or you can proactively replace parts to keep your guns and gear running 100% reliable.

I probably replaced and thrown away more magazine springs in a single year than most shooters do in 10 years. Some people may think this is excessive, but those same people also wonder why my gun magically never jams.

yes, buy the ismi/wolf/grams springs in the 10 packs. change them twice a year and you'll never have an issue. they are not that much $$ that it's worth scrimping on. mags and ammo cause probably 90% of malfuctions on competition guns.

I have practice mags I use all the time and match mags, What I do is when the practice mags look to need springs I just swap the match mag springs in and put new springs in the match mags. I do it this way to make sure they are always fresh in the match mags.

I have practice mags I use all the time and match mags, What I do is when the practice mags look to need springs I just swap the match mag springs in and put new springs in the match mags. I do it this way to make sure they are always fresh in the match mags.

This is a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...
On August 8, 2016 at 5:18 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Springs are one of the cheapest replacement parts out there. Why on earth wouldn't you proactively replace them every 3 - 6 months just to be safe? You can use components to failure and throw away a match because of it, or you can proactively replace parts to keep your guns and gear running 100% reliable.

I probably replaced and thrown away more magazine springs in a single year than most shooters do in 10 years. Some people may think this is excessive, but those same people also wonder why my gun magically never jams.

On August 8, 2016 at 11:03 PM, BeerBaron said:

yes, buy the ismi/wolf/grams springs in the 10 packs. change them twice a year and you'll never have an issue. they are not that much $$ that it's worth scrimping on. mags and ammo cause probably 90% of malfuctions on competition guns.

You guys should keep in mind that some of us shoot for the enjoyment of the sport/game, realize that we will never win a match and need to cut costs where ever we can.

Changing mag springs every 3-6 months without regard for use is like changing the oil in your car every 3 months when you only drive 100 miles a week.

I change mag springs when I begin to experience failures.

Edited by mccurdy53

10 minutes ago, mccurdy53 said:

You guys should keep in mind that some of us shoot for the enjoyment of the sport/game, realize that we will never win a match and need to cut costs where ever we can.

Changing mag springs every 3-6 months without regard for use is like changing the oil in your car every 3 months when you only drive 100 miles a week.

Who wants to experience failures, even when shooting for fun?

I shoot for fun too and will likely never win a major match unless a bout of uncontrollable diarrhea sweeps through the super squad.

However malfs just aren't any fun to me. I can appreciate having to be careful with funds too but I spend way more on other aspects and most of all I 'spend' time.

A 10 pack of wolf 2011 mag springs is $47, grams $55 ismi or Taran around $80. That's not too bad for a year or more of service. 

using your engine oil analogy changing mag springs once or twice a year (ftr I mean 6mth or 12mth intervals) is like scheduled servicing. Waiting for malfs to let you know it's time to change is a bit like waiting for the low oil pressure alarm or an engine issue to tell you when to change oil. 

i can understand being on a budget and if I couldn't justify the cost to keep a 2011 running malf free I'd probably switch to a more affordable platform.

anyway we each make whatever compromises we have to so that we can enjoy our sport. :)

If the cost of a 10 pack of springs per year is unreasonable then you are participating in the wrong hobby. 

Let's put this into perspective. A 10 pack of springs costs less than a 1k box of the cheapest bullets. Whining about the cost of springs it ridiculous. Especially when it keeps your gun running reliably. 

22 hours ago, mccurdy53 said:

When you go to buy springs, Bill, let me know. I can probably help you out a little through one of our mutual friends.

I pretty much use Wolff Springs only and buy by the 10 pack for my pistols.  I now shoot with my carry gun, when I shoot and always make sure mags perform with no problems.  I also date the mags with a sharpie with date the spring was changed so I know.