Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - When do you start?

You must have access to regularly available and reasonably priced 22lr ammo. That must be nice. In my area it's cheaper for me to shoot 9mm.

I don't know what you consider reasonably priced... I'm in a major metropolitan area, so there are numerous Walmarts and at least 3 Academy Sports in the area. I can find $.07/round at Walmarts and Academy Sports around here for the most part. Unfortunately, I have to add tax to that price.

If that weren't the case, I'd just order it online for essentially the same price. When I can, I use coupons/discounts to eliminate/lower shipping costs.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drmweaver2, have you bought any books on dry fire practice? Anderson has a good one with a log.

I have 1 by Ben Stoeger, Dry Fire for the Practical Shooter. I also have bookmarked a couple sites with over 100 different dry-fire drills.

I've been printing off some targets from the Net for both indoor dry-fire and live-fire use. I was lucky enough to find a set of scaled down IDPA and USPSA targets that someone posted a few years ago in this very forum. Those should be very useful with the LASR/SIRT stuff.

Of course, youtube has and will also be "mah friend".

Unfortunately, the local libraries don't have squat or I'd be checking stuff out from them.

Edited by drmweaver2

Got the SIRT pistol today. Click the trigger and it works...2 red lights on wall.

Installed the LASR software today....after major issues with it. One major drawback that they don't tell you upfront is that you can only have it installed on one machine at a time...theoretically reasonable BUT --- I installed it on my desktop first to check out the functionality and because that was where my webcam happened to be installed. Well, what they don't tell you is that there is not only that llimitation but also there is a transfer-to-another-machine limitation - only one transfer per 30 days. Hell, I have 3 different laptops that may or may not be the single laptop I use/take with me on a trip depending on the circumstances. So, that means I can't have the software on all the machines and can't transfer it back and forth between machines conveniently... I left them a nastygram via their website.

Anyway, after I lowered my blood pressure and pulse rate a bit, I set up my first LASR/SIRT training session. Just kinda messing around with placing targets on the wall and getting the software to recognize them then testing it a bit. Probably spent an hour before my "give a shit" meter maxed/dropped to zero. I love computers and pistols both, but my tolerance level today was really low.

Anyway, I now need to adjust where the bottom laser and the top laser both show up on the wall/targets at the distance I'll be shooting in my "indoor range room".

Oh, part of the "exhaustion/frustration" combo is I upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 AFTER upgrading it from XP to Windows 7.... yeah, I found out afterwarrds I could have just enterred the Windows 7 Product Key and not actually installed 7....NOW you tell me!!! (smacks head silly a whole lot!!!!) :goof:

Long day...bed time.

Edited by drmweaver2

• 6 months later...

The first match i went to i intended to "spectate" but as soon as i got there and everyone discovered i was planning on watching them, i was overwhelmed with offers of gear and guns to shoot. I ended up taking someone's equipment and shooting with them and am glad i did so. I believe walking around and watching might work for someone who is overly cautious but if you are the least bit competitive, you will be glad you joined in and shot.

11 minutes ago, Mountbkr said:

The first match i went to i intended to "spectate" but as soon as i got there and everyone discovered i was planning on watching them, i was overwhelmed with offers of gear and guns to shoot. I ended up taking someone's equipment and shooting with them and am glad i did so. I believe walking around and watching might work for someone who is overly cautious but if you are the least bit competitive, you will be glad you joined in and shot.

After watching an untold number of first matches, having had three nervous first time shooters point loaded guns at me/my squad, and seeing others cut their career off at one match due to embarrassment over a dq, I would advise anyone to just watch their first match and get a feel for things. The goal is to set yourself up for a lifetime of fun shooting and it is worth making sure that you start out right. It is just one match, have fun meeting people & try to learn the rules as well as what you may need to practice. 

Also, loaning a stranger a gun for their first match is going to include your name in the lawsuit should anything unfortunate occur. I suspect that loaning a 100% stock gun would be low risk, but I would not do it. 

Last thing, 'competitive' is absolutely something you want to leave at home until you have shot for a while in the 'be safe and have fun' mode. 

No offense intended, I think you had a great plan going in and got terrible advice. 

15 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

After watching an untold number of first matches, having had three nervous first time shooters point loaded guns at me/my squad, and seeing others cut their career off at one match due to embarrassment over a dq, I would advise anyone to just watch their first match and get a feel for things. The goal is to set yourself up for a lifetime of fun shooting and it is worth making sure that you start out right. It is just one match, have fun meeting people & try to learn the rules as well as what you may need to practice. 

Also, loaning a stranger a gun for their first match is going to include your name in the lawsuit should anything unfortunate occur. I suspect that loaning a 100% stock gun would be low risk, but I would not do it. 

Last thing, 'competitive' is absolutely something you want to leave at home until you have shot for a while in the 'be safe and have fun' mode. 

No offense intended, I think you had a great plan going in and got terrible advice. 

Agree 100%

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

This is one of the reasons my local club has an "Intro to Action Pistol" class that I highly recommend any new shooter I talk with to take first. Not only does is go over the basics of rules and equipment but they also run 2 stages to give a new shooter a controlled environment. I took this class back when I started and it was nice to be able to go through a mini match before I stepped into a normal match.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:50 AM, Mountbkr said:

My girlfriend had the exact same thing happen. She has since fallen in love with USPSA shooting.