Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - When do you start?

As others have said - go, and go slow. Explain it's your first match. You'll be VERY welcomed (and they'll squad you appropriately).

The biggest thing is don't do anything with your gun until you're told to. Nothing. That's the gist of it.

Past that, shoot the targets, move, and experience the confusion of stage planning vs. running a stage. :) Welcome to the addiction!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agree with all above. bring what you got, let the MD (and at each stage) know you're the new guy, and they'll get you started in on all the fun. just go purposefully and painfully slow the first stage or two, be super safe and get good hits. then gradually speed up as you get more comfortable.

finger clearly and visibly outside the trigger guard while reloading (i index along the frame), clearing a jam, moving, drawing & holstering, etc. muzzle always generally downrange. holster SLOWLY and see the gun into the holster. and the first couple of times, draw SLOWLY as well. slow and safe, speed comes later.

one thing you can do to make your first match a little easier is enter as Limited division vs Production division. Lets you top off your mags so less reloading and less planning than only 10 in a mag.

I don't see it enough, but shoot Production or Limited 10. Reloads and stage walks are key to success of most USPSA. Due to the fact that you'll only have 10 rounds in a mag, it will force you to work your reloads and perfect the fundamentals.

Disagree thoroughly with starting in a restricted capacity division. It takes enough time to learn about hitting the targets at speed, remembering where they all are and how best to address them without the difficulty factor of making a 10-round plan work.

Someone brings a bone stock G17 I usually recommend they shoot Limited so there's one fewer thing to worry about.

Disagree thoroughly with starting in a restricted capacity division. It takes enough time to learn about hitting the targets at speed

This is exactly why they should reduce the number of bullets on their waist. Speed will come, fundamentals should be ingrained first. I see lots of shooters trying to achieve high speeds when their basic technique is broken.

They also get the added benefit of a level playing field. Minor scoring.

Edited by Hupperware

If your scared you wont be safe or just want to get a feel for USPSA just go to a match. Tell them your new and want to follow a squad threw a full match. you will learn a ton this way and the next time bring your gun and have FUN!

I'm not scared about my safety. Just don't particularly care about wandering around being a "loner".

Otoh, I like the idea of following a squad through a full match... I think I'll take that advice this coming weekend - there's a match about 60 miles away.

now to set my alarm for Zer0DarkThirty so I can get there "early enough".

Bring your gear and shoot it. You'll regret it otherwise.

you miss understand me brother. = pay close attention to the safety rules. and the range commands. "cold range" "safe table" "180" "follow RO instructions" when and where you can handle your gun. shooter stated he was "shooting indoor ranges." I personally don't, know if the cold range concept and safe tables are used? I continue to encourage the shooter to go to a match, ask questions, be safe, have fun.

cheers.

If you do arrive to the match early, offer to help get involved in setting up the stages. You'll get a great understanding of how the stage is designed, and meet great people who will appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your scared you wont be safe or just want to get a feel for USPSA just go to a match. Tell them your new and want to follow a squad threw a full match. you will learn a ton this way and the next time bring your gun and have FUN!

I'm not scared about my safety. Just don't particularly care about wandering around being a "loner".

Otoh, I like the idea of following a squad through a full match... I think I'll take that advice this coming weekend - there's a match about 60 miles away.

now to set my alarm for Zer0DarkThirty so I can get there "early enough".

Bring your gun rig, mags and 300rounds of ammo. Might as well jump in. Once you see how easy it is, you'll kick yourself if you don't!

Barebones nailed it. Find the MD and he will get you lined out and with the right squad to follow and learn. You will find that USPSA shooters are good people and for the most part will help in any way that they can.

Most of us didnt start that long ago, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Let us know how it goes.

Calvin

Browse through the rules: https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php

Spot the parts that deal with safety. Read those parts again.

Practice drawing and reloading with empty gun (ammo locked away, curtains drawn).

Practice keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction - also when you are moving around.

Practice keeping your finger straight when you are not firing.

Go play. Tell 'em you're new. Ask questions. Hit the targets. Don't worry about speed too much.

I went to one match without a gun and just watched and helped paste targets. The next match I bought a holster and mag pouches and had a great time, finished dead last. My time was slower than three other slow people added together. I just made sure that I was safe. I had a great time. Next match still dead last, but a little faster. Just take your gun and equipment and be safe and have fun.

There is a lot of good advice here. If you can safely handle your firearm it's never too early to get started. If you feel at all uncomfortable shooting the first match just go and watch, ask a lot of questions, and meet some new friends. I would recommend you bring your gear anyway because you'll probably change your mind once you get there. Most of the time we put brand new shooters last on each stage so they have plenty of time to watch other people do it first.

One problem I see over and over is shooters trying to go faster than they should. I catch myself doing this from time to time and end up putting holes outside of the A zone or Down 0. Accuracy aside, make sure you only drive as fast as you can safely control your firearm. We had a guy show up at IDPA for the first time and he only shot as fast as he was sure it would be a good hit, he got 7th of out 70 shooters. There is definitely a lesson there. Just have fun and be safe!

From another newbie- practice being safe and get familiar with the procedures/basic rules for the match and go. There are always guys at their first match shooting. If you stay safe nobody will care if you take a minute and a half to complete a stage. Last weekend the best shooter at the match was helping out a random new guy who asked him a question. It really is a welcoming sport.

I was green at the start of this year. Bought my first pistol (a glock 26 for carry) in January. I went the first match of the year here just to watch as my competition gun hadn't made it here yet. One of the RO's talked me into shooting it with my G26. Was an absolute blast, shot like 95% A's but just slow as molasses.

My advice. Go and shoot. Just don't try to keep up with anyone, focus on safety, and just watch the better shooters (DO NOT TRY TO EMULATE). I honestly walked every course of fire (like grandpa with a walker slow) and it was still more fun than anyone should be allowed to have in an activity that doesn't involve another person and a private place.

You should find a match local and go watch. Good opportunity to meet people that can get you started and get an idea of some ways to practice at home. If you find a club that is not inviting to new shooters I would try another. I have only shot at 1 club here that did not want non members shooting matches there. Not Cool and I did not try to go back. Plenty of other places to shoot luckily.

My nephew thinks like that, you live too far away for me to slap you on the side of the head and it probably would not be appropriate.

Don't worry about it, meet people, have fun.

If you call the local clubs and ask about training, there is usually someone in the area that will do an "introduction to IDPA/USPA" course . Good way to have fun and get a head start.

Somehow, I "lost" the bookmark I had for this forum... that caused my non-responsiveness for a bit.

I'm going to the match in Thibodeaux Poplarville, MS tomorrow - just to watch. I simply do not have the skill to hit the targets with any consistency at this point. So, I'll watch and learn, hopefully meet some people and then go from there.

My not having the skills is a serious comment. At this point, with my 9mm, I jerk the trigger and end up way too low and left for me to feel good about my shooting. Otoh, the shots are "grouping" to an extent. So I need to practice more before actually entering a match. I bought a full sized M&P 22 to practice my trigger control and aiming more inexpensively - that and lots of dry firing the 9mm - hopefully both will help and my skill will develop & transfer to live firing the 9mm within a month.

But I'm a forward-looker. So that was the impetus for the thread. I'm interested running at least a few stages, which means I'd have to "compete" (with absolutely no thought of 'winning' or even scoring well). But, as I said, I'm not looking to totally embarrass myself.

We'll see after tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the responses.

(Another "useless" excuse - The other problem right now is, while I do have the recommended 5 9mm magazines, I don't have any magazine holders. All sorts of them for sale on the Net/in-stores but the prices are all over the place and I definitely don't want to over-spend when I might not stick with it. So, I'll see what others have tomorrow.....research! Yeah, that's the ticket.)

Edited by drmweaver2

You can practice triggering for free by dryfiring. Focus your vision hard on the front sight, and when you trigger the sight must not move, or movement must be minimal. It costs nothing but time. You can focus entire sessions on just triggering.

Surprise, surprise. I HAVE magazine holders now! Lol.

I went "window shopping" at a local gun shop and they had much that made me drool. Just as I was about to leave, a store guy came up and asked what I was looking for. I mentioned the mag holders and he asked "for which handgun". Kinda confusing as I didn't think the mag holders were that specific, but what the heck. I told him and he said "wait here a second" and disappeared into the back room. He brought out 2 very yellowed and worn ziplock bags with XD-BDMP dual magazine holders and their instruction pages in them. I lifted my eyebrow and pointed at the XD-BDMP label after which he motioned me to follow him to the pistol display counter. He located the display SD9VE, ejected the mag and showed me that it did fit the holder. Just to be sure, skeptic (and cheap bastard) that I am, I asked if he would demonstrate that with a fully loaded mag, holding the mag pouch upside down. "Sure, why not", came back the reply and Voila... It worked.

Best part, he discounted both mag holders 25% due to the packaging. So, I bought 2 dual magazine holders for under 23$ after tax!

Now, I need to decide that I CAN embarrass myself tomorrow without actually dying from it..... Heh.

So, I guess I will take my gear with me and see how it goes. I can always leave it in the car and just watch.

Thanks guys..

Edited by drmweaver2

If you really have difficulty with accuracy you might find someone in your area who does instruction geared toward accuracy - like an upper grade Bullseye shooter - and try to improve that before working real hard at the USPSA end of it.

You don't need to be a super good shot but you do need to be able to hit the A zone with some frequency, especially if you start out slow - as you should from a safety and DQ standpoint.

Second the dry fire suggestions. That way you can see and feel what exactly goes on when you pull the trigger, without ANY recoil disguising it. If the sights move, slow down to a more deliberate speed and work up from there.